Temperate Fruit & Orchards > Temperate Fruit Discussion

Figs-R-Us

(1/7) > >>

ClayMango:
New to the Fig Game folks...realized there is Fig cult that runs deeper than the Mango nutz on this forum found on Figs4fun, they have rare trees and cuttings, that in some cases sell for over a thousand on Ebay... Some of these rare trees include the Infamous 100 year old Louisiana Heirloom "Smith", Cul De Dame White, Black Madiera, and Ronde De Bordeux that I'm really after.... I already grabbed Excel which is more common but Elite in Flavor according to the Fig Cult.

Number 1 on my list is the Smith!!!!!!!!!! Highly dubbed the King by many when grown in the right climate. I lucked out and scored a nice sized tree from a nice forum member and had it shipped to me....wouldn't you know, me being the idiot I am had a full Mailbox and USPS stopped processing my mail and sent all my mail back to the senders, where these nuts lost it!!!! Terrible on my behalf for having a full mailbox for 2 weeks... annnnnndddddd I'm back on the hunt!  Everywhere is sold out on the Smith too except 1 Florida Nursery, which of course can't ship to Ca... I have found cuttings on Ebay, but the horror stories of Ebay scare me...dammit I'm caught up in the FIG MADNESS, almost as bad as the Mango Fever I got last year.

ClayMango:
Just  grabbed a Violet De Bordeaux Fig Tree. They say it has a berry like flavor and can be split open and spread across toast used as Jam... Hopefully a  good variety!

Also getting ready for  some bidding wars on Ebay for the Cul De Dame family of Figs and the Smith

Viking Guy:
Clay just be careful going overboard with the figs.  Once they establish, they get huge fast.

I cluster mine in groups of 3 to 4 so they compete with one another and stunt down some.

The ones left to themselves end up 20'+ tall and wide

stormin:
Good luck on the bidding wars on eBay. When I used to bid on stuff on eBay I would usually just put my highest bid at the last 5 seconds. ;)

ClayMango:

--- Quote from: Viking Guy on March 17, 2015, 08:45:02 PM ---Clay just be careful going overboard with the figs.  Once they establish, they get huge fast.

I cluster mine in groups of 3 to 4 so they compete with one another and stunt down some.

The ones left to themselves end up 20'+ tall and wide

--- End quote ---

Well I have them currently spaced about  2-3 feet  from each other.... I think some heavy pruning will do the job, but I'm definitely going to add at least  4 more... The Cole De Dame Gris, Noir, and Blanc, Black Madiera, and this God damn *Smith that evaded me under the most unpleasant of circumstances!

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version