Author Topic: Some Recent Pictures  (Read 8281 times)

Jacob13

• Southern California - Zone 10b
    • View Profile
Some Recent Pictures
« on: January 31, 2012, 03:53:24 AM »
Hello Friends,

I thought I would post some semi-recent pictures of some of my stuff in the Greenhouse.  These pictures were taken at the beginning of December as I moved things into the Greenhouse for the winter.    I would say everything looks about the same except that the Mango trees are all flowering, and the Rollinia trees are even bigger; those suckers grow so fast.  I definitely need to pot them up and cut them back.  Hopefully there will be some fruit sometime in the near future.  Enjoy!

'Prolific' Sapodilla - Probably 7'-8' feet tall in the pot and growing quickly (Airlayer)

'Tabouey x J-30' Jakfruit - One of my Seedling trees that is doing nicely

Sugar Apple - This is 1 of 4 Sugar Apple trees I have (Seedling)

'Arkin' Star Apple at about 8'-9' Feet tall (Seedling)

1st Rollina - The smaller of the 2 Rollinia Trees I have

2nd Rollinia - The larger of the 2 Rollinia. The growth habit of this Rollinia is very different than the other; a lot more leggier at about 8' Feet tall

'San Pablo' Custard Apple (Grafted)

Red Malay Apple (Grafted)

Purple Star Fruit (Grafted)

'Lemon Zest' Mango Tree

'Paulista' Jaboticaba - About 7' Feet in the pot

'Coconut Cream' Mango Tree

'Alphonso' Mango Tree

View into the Greenhouse - The Banana in the front is a 'Sucrier' Banana. Here is the Description from the Nursery "This medium-height, tight-bunched banana is likened to banana-bread by many of its loyal fans. This is certainly the sweetest banana around. The bananas are 3” – 4” long, rounded, with delicate speckles and thin, edible skin. They’re ready to eat when they’re very ripe, even turning black, and somewhat soft".

The tall tree in the back center of the Greenhouse is a Wampee tree.  I kind of let the tree grow out of control and it got so tall so fast.  At its tallest, it was about 10' Feet tall but it is now about 8' feet tall, since I topped it.  I should have stayed on top of it and kept it pruned back.  I still need to cut off probably another 4' feet or so. it has started to throw quite a few lateral branches since I cut off the first 2' feet.

The plant between the Banana and the Wampee tree is a 'Black Pearl' Wax Jambu.  It should probably fruit pretty heavily this year as it has been fruiting nicely for the past 2 years.

All of the Mango trees are flowering heavily!  I probably won't let any of them carry any fruit..........then again, I might not be able to cut off the fruit, my hands just won't cooperate.  Thanks to everyone for checking out the pics......more pics to follow soon, especially some updated pictures of my Mango, as well as my Lychees and Longan trees that have been planted out for the past 6 months and doing Great!!!

- Jacob

lycheeluva

• Brooklyn, NY
  • obsessed with fruit growing, especially lychees
    • View Profile
Re: Some Recent Pictures
« Reply #1 on: January 31, 2012, 09:42:05 AM »
beautiful trees jacob and great greenhouse. where did you get the greenhouse from did you errect it yourself?
the purple star tree has really beautiful foliage. have any of your trees fruited yet?

Fruitguy

• Zone 10b - Miami, FL
    • United States, Miami,Florida Zone 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 31, 2012, 11:19:41 AM »
Jacob, damn nice looking greenhouse!!  Not a weed to be seen anywhere!  Very impressive collection too.

The sugar-apple in pic #3 does not look like any I have seen before.

dnt72800

« Reply #3 on: January 31, 2012, 11:54:42 AM »
as always very nice Jacob....I love looking at your collevtion.....btw..Where did you get your purple cainito?
DT

Ethan

• Central California Z9/9
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 31, 2012, 02:25:15 PM »
Nice GH Jacob, lots of room for more plants, do you still have the smaller one set up?

Everything is looking great, it'll be hard to resist letting at least one mango grow.

-Ethan

nullzero

• Zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 31, 2012, 02:52:32 PM »
Looking great, where is all the dragon fruit? :)
Grow mainly fruits, vegetables, and herbs.

Jacob13

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 31, 2012, 04:39:39 PM »
Hello Friends,

Thank you all for such nice compliments.

Gerry - Yes I erected the Greenhouse from a Kit I got through HF. My Pickering Mango Fruited last Year as well as my "Black Pearl" Wax Jambu. Unfortunately nothing else from those pictures have fruited.  Lots of things are very close though.....very close.

Fruit Guy - Thanks for Noticing!  I had actually just gone through and clean up a little bit before moving things back into the Greenhouse.  As for the Sugar Apple, I could see how you would think it looks a little different.  I got it about a year ago from Cheri.

DT - Thanks Again for the compliments - I got the Purple Caimito from Plant-o-Gram.  It was Actually a lot bigger, like 5' feet tall, but it got scorched in the Greenhouse one weekend I was out of town and it went unattended.  I died back to what you see in the picture.

Ethan - What's up my Cali Brother?  The room you see in the pictures is now non-existant  :'(.  I definitely still have the smaller Greenhouse and it too is busting at the seems.  I am seriously running out of space. :'(

Steven - Thanks, I have a couple of Dragon Fruit inside the Greenhouse but the majority of them are outside.  I still have a couple of super nice "Arizona Purple" cuttings with your name on them.  Im just so busy with work but will try to get them out to you soon.

Thanks Again,

Jacob

nullzero

• Zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 31, 2012, 04:42:04 PM »
Jacob,

Don't worry about it, how are the taro doing? Btw, did I ever give you Oca?

MangoFang

• Palm Springs, CA, Zone 9B
  • Palm Springs, CA
    • Riverside, Palm Springs/CA, 92264,9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 31, 2012, 05:14:21 PM »
Jacob - still got the green in the ol' thumb I see!  If anyone deserves an acre or two or ten in Florida (or south!) it would be you.  Just think, you'd be FREE to garden outside   -  :P

My Desert mangos, about 4 of them, have flower buds maybe an inch or longer on the move, too.  This winter has been amazingly mild (so far).  Every thought of letting one of the dwarfish or slower growing mangos push their roots right into the earth and witness the miracle of bunches of fruit?      8)

One last Q - how much of a wind (mph) do you think your greenhouse could stand?  I've thought of putting one up here, but with up to 70 mph gusts, I'm just not sure it wouldn't get ripped away....

TheFangGang

simon_grow

• USA, San Diego, CA, Zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 31, 2012, 07:16:45 PM »
Beautiful trees Jacob.  Where did you purchase that Paulista Jab?  I've been looking for a large specimen but I'm having difficulty finding one.  They have some large Jaboticabas at some of the nurseries down here but they are mostly unnamed cultivars.  Keep up the excellent work!
Simon

JF

• North OC California Zone 10B/America Tropical 13A
    • 90631/97000
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 31, 2012, 09:30:27 PM »
Jacob, you make all Socal tropical fruit growers swell with pride!!!

JF
« Last Edit: February 01, 2012, 10:16:46 PM by JF »

Jacob13

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 01, 2012, 07:53:16 AM »
Hello Again Friends,

Steven - The Taro are doing great, they rooted really easily and could practically live in a bucket of water.

Fandango Mango - Gracias my friend.  I'd have to agree that this Winter has been do bizzare.  My poor plants are so confused.  I have had to strip some of their leaves to force dormancy.  As for the Wind and the Greenhouse.  This year we too had some incredibly strong winds, up into the high 70's as well.  I didn't have any problems at all with my greenhouse. Hope that helps.

Jacob

MangoFang

• Palm Springs, CA
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 01, 2012, 02:27:34 PM »
wait....did I hear you mention Taro???  I have some Black Taro that grows MADLY in my bog garden for like 8-9 months - right in 6 inches of water. Just trimmed it back as the cold does kill/damage the leaves into an ugly pile. Are you growing them for the root (I assume) or just for the ornamental effect....

I don't see a lot of larger tuberish roots that would really be much to eat - more like regular looking snarls of smaller roots....hmmmmmm......

MangoF

nullzero

• Zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 01, 2012, 02:45:03 PM »
wait....did I hear you mention Taro???  I have some Black Taro that grows MADLY in my bog garden for like 8-9 months - right in 6 inches of water. Just trimmed it back as the cold does kill/damage the leaves into an ugly pile. Are you growing them for the root (I assume) or just for the ornamental effect....

I don't see a lot of larger tuberish roots that would really be much to eat - more like regular looking snarls of smaller roots....hmmmmmm......
MangoF

When I met up with Jacob last year, I gave him a 2-3 varieties of eating Taro. All varieties (except Bac Ha, eaten for its stalks)  produce excellent sized roots in 8 months or so (depending on growing conditions). If your interested, could give you some divisions. The plants produce a good harvest which is pest free. I believe the black taro is ornamental?

NewGen

• Zone 10a, Central Valley, CA, USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 01, 2012, 04:00:28 PM »
What a nice GH, what are the dimensions? And how do you heat it in the cold months?
Thanks,

FloridaGreenMan

• Fort Lauderdale FL Zone 10B
    • Florida USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: February 01, 2012, 07:51:08 PM »
Jacob
Quite an impressive greenhouse and a great collection of healthy trees!
Noel 
FloridaGreenMan

kimi

• Western Australia
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 22, 2012, 11:00:35 AM »
Nice! you have started me thinking of container growing...  ;D  very healthy looking jaboticaba.  ;D
kimi

MangoFang

• Palm Springs, CA
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 22, 2012, 06:21:21 PM »
Hi Null - just saw your response.  Yeah, i like the black as they do look cool in my bog garden...so you're saying I couldn't eat those roots????

FangedMan

nullzero

• Zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 22, 2012, 07:15:46 PM »
Hi Null - just saw your response.  Yeah, i like the black as they do look cool in my bog garden...so you're saying I couldn't eat those roots????
FangedMan

Not saying you couldn't, but if its not a Taro selection on edibility. It may not be that good for food, due to high calcium oxalate and taste.

ericalynne

• United States of America, Florida, Venus, 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: February 22, 2012, 07:16:15 PM »
I recognize that greenhouse! I have one just like it from Harbor Freight. It is 13 feet high at the top; the only cheap greenhouse I could find with that kind of loft. I think the base is 10x12, but I don't remember for sure. I can tell you that mind is packed way, way tighter than that, although I am starting to open things up and put some stuff back out.

I don't think it would stand up to any serious wind, but mine is in a sheltered spot. I didn't put in the lovely pea gravel based. I just have regular ground.

Erica