Author Topic: Seeking info on M-4 mango  (Read 47931 times)

bovine421

• Shake Rag Rd Fl 9b
    • View Profile
Re: Seeking info on M-4 mango
« Reply #175 on: April 10, 2021, 06:17:23 PM »
This thread will be 4 Years Old tomorrow.

Today, i brought home a small 7gal low branched M4.  It's still on passenger seat waiting for my helper.

I'd like to know growth habbit ya'll experienced so far to help decide where to plant.
Planning on leaving it in pot by pool so i can eliminate my soil from equation if it's stunted & easier to wash soil if i use wrong or too much fertilizer.  Good idea i say.  Might put it in a 15gal after time before planting.

Ed

I planted this M4 last summer not sure early middle late just last summer. The orange ribbon is where I estimate its height when I planted it, may have been a little less. It's about 4 ft tall now I think it grew maybe two and a half feet. Seems vigorous to me.

I say put it in the ground and mulch it really well. Watered everyday for a month then every other day till rainy season. Try to resist temptation and not fertilizing. If you can't resist temptation a weak dose of water soluble fertilizer or some time release.
« Last Edit: April 10, 2021, 06:31:48 PM by bovine421 »
Tete Nene Julie Juliet Carrie Ice Cream Coconut Cream Little Gem  Dot  Mallika PPK  OS  Pina Colada Cotton Candy Buxton Spice Karen Michelle M-4 Beverly Marc Anthony White Pirie Lychee Cherilata Plantain Barbados Cherry

JulianoGS

• USA, South Florida
    • View Profile
« Reply #176 on: April 10, 2021, 06:50:51 PM »
Where were you able to find one M4?  It is very hard to.

This thread will be 4 Years Old tomorrow.

Today, i brought home a small 7gal low branched M4.  It's still on passenger seat waiting for my helper.

I'd like to know growth habbit ya'll experienced so far to help decide where to plant.
Planning on leaving it in pot by pool so i can eliminate my soil from equation if it's stunted & easier to wash soil if i use wrong or too much fertilizer.  Good idea i say.  Might put it in a 15gal after time before planting.

Ed
Be very careful and mindful of what you sow, for whatever a man sows, that he will also reap.

fliptop

• SWFL10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #177 on: April 10, 2021, 09:06:55 PM »
I've posted these pics before, but here's mine when I got it from Top Tropicals 2 years ago.

Here it is two years later. It flowered heavily but I picked off all the little fruitlets. It's grown quite a bit and into a nicely shaped tree. I've done no pruning on it but will probably take some lower branches off soon.

It's still in the same rabbit-protection cage in both pics to give you a sense of how much it's grown.

EddieF

• s.e. florida
    • View Profile
« Reply #178 on: April 11, 2021, 03:51:56 PM »
Bovine & fliptop, thanks for photos.  I'll take 1 of mine tomorrow.  Raining now.
Jgs, friend got it for me, possibly Zills.

JulianoGS

• USA, South Florida
    • View Profile
« Reply #179 on: April 12, 2021, 01:29:44 PM »
Nice looking tree you got there!

I've posted these pics before, but here's mine when I got it from Top Tropicals 2 years ago.

Here it is two years later. It flowered heavily but I picked off all the little fruitlets. It's grown quite a bit and into a nicely shaped tree. I've done no pruning on it but will probably take some lower branches off soon.

It's still in the same rabbit-protection cage in both pics to give you a sense of how much it's grown.
Be very careful and mindful of what you sow, for whatever a man sows, that he will also reap.

EddieF

• s.e. florida
    • View Profile
« Reply #180 on: April 12, 2021, 07:48:32 PM »
My new child.  Graft look ok?

fliptop

• SWFL10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #181 on: April 12, 2021, 09:05:14 PM »
Thanks, JulianoGS! I was nervous getting such a wispy little sprout, but clearly it was a good choice. It seems about to break more buds though . . .

JulianoGS

• USA, South Florida
    • View Profile
« Reply #182 on: April 13, 2021, 01:53:14 PM »
Where did you find an M4 mango tree?

My new child.  Graft look ok?

Timbogrow

• Naples, FL 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #183 on: June 17, 2021, 07:22:56 AM »
So I take it the reason there so hard to find any grafted mango plants is because the mangoes are still on the trees and they haven't started grafting new plants until after fruit harvest??? I'd like to add a couple more of the best and it's very hard to find any of these. Currently have pineapple mango, carabao, Nam doc Mai, coconut cream, peach cobbler, gold nugget, lancitilla and 2 big mature trees that were here when we bought the property. Not sure of the variety but the smaller of the 2 mature trees is a real heavy producer. I got a ripe fruit yesterday and was fiberglass, very juicy, very sweet and a little tangy. Was mostly green with a little yellowing on top but you can feel it's ripe when it gives a little.

bigalxx15

• USA, Florida, Cooper City, 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #184 on: June 17, 2021, 10:31:24 PM »
Planted this M-4 in the ground in January 2019, this is the first time fruiting, holding around a dozen fruit.

FlMikey

• Florida
    • View Profile
« Reply #185 on: June 20, 2021, 08:54:21 PM »
Do we know with any certainty yet if M-4 is an alternate bearer?  If M-4 were grafted on a regular bearing variety tree, would it produce regularly?

bsbullie

• USA, Boynton Beach, FL 33472, Zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #186 on: June 20, 2021, 09:11:01 PM »
Do we know with any certainty yet if M-4 is an alternate bearer?  If M-4 were grafted on a regular bearing variety tree, would it produce regularly?

From nursery grafted trees, it does not appear to be alternate.

I think there may gave been extenuating circumstances that caused the mother tree to appear as alternate bearing.
- Rob

FlMikey

• Florida
    • View Profile
« Reply #187 on: June 20, 2021, 10:06:06 PM »

From nursery grafted trees, it does not appear to be alternate.

I think there may gave been extenuating circumstances that caused the mother tree to appear as alternate bearing.

That's really helpful.  Thank you Rob!

mangomongo

• MERRITT ISLAND
    • View Profile
« Reply #188 on: August 03, 2021, 04:32:11 PM »
Just ate the first two M4 mangos from my yard. Picked mature green( fell off in my hand) I waited until they got soft and almost wrinkly. The flesh was a dark yellow, skin was thick and tough and the flavor was amazing. I thought it was alot like a very well ripened E4, sweet, very coconuty with a nice texture. I did not spray the tree to control any fungus and the fruit was clean with no issues. with the production issues of my coconut cream I would have chose this for the front yard if I had known then what I know now.  Fantastic mango!

Satya

• North Miami Beach, FL , Zone 10b
    • View Profile
    • Growing rare tropicals and fruit trees.
« Reply #189 on: August 03, 2021, 05:11:25 PM »
This year was very interesting for us mango-taste wise, some "bottom tier" varieties tasted better than "top tier", and M4 tasted quite mediocre. Last year it was superb, exceptional. Maybe in the lines of alternate bearer theory, it bears every year but the taste doesn't come the same?
As for the name, I think M4 has a ring to it, like B52, has a chance to stay this way for ever?  :D

bulldawg305

• Miami, FL
    • View Profile
« Reply #190 on: August 04, 2021, 12:54:20 PM »
This is the first time my tree has fruited and the flavor has been top tier; very juicy, with a rich Florida taste and a strong coconut aftertaste. However, on the neagtive side, I have not noticed any color change when ripe, so it can be tricky to pick. My tree is partially shaded and the fruits developed dark blotches the last few weeks(not sure if BBS). Also, some fruits split after the rains came on a few weeks ago.

I call it M-Fire!!