Tropical Fruit > Tropical Fruit Discussion

"Tim" atemoya, need help from Aussies with a proper ID

(1/3) > >>

TheDom:
This is the first picture I've been able to get of a "Tim" atemoya. It is rumored to have been from budwood brought over from Australia years ago, but nobody is sure what name it originally had over there. Besides the picture all I've heard about it is that it sets about as well as Gefner without hand pollination and the guy who first started growing it loved the flavor so much he replaced all of his Gefner with Tim. I'll do my best to get more pics through season, and hope to have fruits of my own either late this season or next year.

FruitFreak:

--- Quote from: TheDom on August 08, 2017, 11:13:03 PM ---This is the first picture I've been able to get of a "Tim" atemoya. It is rumored to have been from budwood brought over from Australia years ago, but nobody is sure what name it originally had over there. Besides the picture all I've heard about it is that it sets about as well as Gefner without hand pollination and the guy who first started growing it loved the flavor so much he replaced all of his Gefner with Tim. I'll do my best to get more pics through season, and hope to have fruits of my own either late this season or next year.

--- End quote ---

Nice fruit Dom.  Hopefully there is some input on this as I'm very curious myself

Mike T:
If someone wanted to get atemoya scion from Australia Paxton prolific aka AJ Pinks, Hillary white, real Pinks Mammoth and maybe tropic sun would be on the hit list for acquisition.They wouldn't bother with relatively low quality widespread varieties like gefner or African pride.It doesn't really look like any of these but they are variable and climate and nutrition can influence phenotypic expression. Any info on the source at either end or location in Australia or US?

TheDom:

--- Quote from: Mike T on August 09, 2017, 03:57:48 PM ---If someone wanted to get atemoya scion from Australia Paxton prolific aka AJ Pinks, Hillary white, real Pinks Mammoth and maybe tropic sun would be on the hit list for acquisition.They wouldn't bother with relatively low quality widespread varieties like gefner or African pride.It doesn't really look like any of these but they are variable and climate and nutrition can influence phenotypic expression. Any info on the source at either end or location in Australia or US?

--- End quote ---

I don't have much info on either side of it unfortunately.

Side note: you said real Pink's Mammoth. Is there known to be an impostor Pink's Mammoth here in the states?

Mike T:
Pinks Mammoth was adopted by Australia a little over 120 years ago and from all accounts had a long a colourful history in French Guiana its original home. It is probably the original atemoya. They were seed grown until quite recently and there are a few forms of them.The real deal is asymmetrical and bumpy reaching 4kg or even larger but most are much smaller.I don't know if the mammoth in the states is the same as the classic one here but the KP mangoes sure look different.The fruit in the pic could be a mammoth or derivative.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version