Tropical Fruit > Tropical Fruit Discussion

What ever Happened to Whitman's South American Sapote

<< < (2/4) > >>

Felipe:
Some I tasted, specially the big and round ones, were very insipid and watery. Others were exquisite, which I would include in my top 5, dead or alife  ;D

BTW Adam, what freaking animal is it this time??

fruitlovers:

--- Quote from: Felipe on February 20, 2012, 03:12:42 PM ---Matisia cordata is great, but needs selection of good cultivars. There's a huge genetic variation down the Amazon basin ;)

--- End quote ---

Agreed. But there are some few selections available already. No doubt more selections would be better. If you get a good one they taste like canteloupe and are totally fiberless. This is a very popular fruit in Colombia, sold in the markets, where it is just called sapote.

FlyingFoxFruits:

--- Quote from: Felipe on February 20, 2012, 05:18:14 PM ---

BTW Adam, what freaking animal is it this time??

--- End quote ---

Felipe,

HAHA! Purple Frog!!

I like this little guy...looks like a weird seal...I love how it's face looks!

Thanks for noticing!

It will keep changing!

Oscar,

Nice pics! How big is your sapote tree?

fruitlovers:
Those fruits are unfortunately not from my trees, but from experimental station. I have a couple of trees but they have been struggling to grow. The rose beetles really like them and the leaves end up looking like colanders. Here is a shot of a medium aged tree at exp. station. Yes, they get quite large:

Oscar

Felipe:
Great pics Oscar! Matisia gets pretty big. As I said, the round fruit used to be more insipid, while the smaller ones was the best, which tasted like a mix of cantaloupe and mango. I should have taken some budwood when I had the chance  :(

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version