Tropical Fruit > Tropical Fruit Discussion

How To Improve Jackfruit Pollination

(1/2) > >>

Jackfruitwhisperer69:

FloridaGreenMan:
You can also just take a 5 gallon bucket, drill a bunch of holes so it drains and fill it with discarded fruits & peels and place under your tree. This will attract pollinators like crazy but not cats. This method is used by annona growers to help attract annona pollinators (Nitidulid beetles). It is not so necessary in Florida since we already live in the BUG capitol....     

Jackfruitwhisperer69:

--- Quote from: FloridaGreenMan on February 13, 2012, 07:59:34 PM ---You can also just take a 5 gallon bucket, drill a bunch of holes so it drains and fill it with discarded fruits & peels and place under your tree. This will attract pollinators like crazy but not cats. This method is used by annona growers to help attract annona pollinators (Nitidulid beetles). It is not so necessary in Florida since we already live in the BUG capitol....     

--- End quote ---

Hi FloridaGreenMan
Those Nitidulid beetles also help to pollinate my Cherimoya trees, I have also found them in over ripe Guava's! But I don't know if they are the same as the Annona seed borer?

Thanks for the tip, I will try it  :)

FloridaGreenMan:

--- Quote from: Jackfruitwhisperer69 on February 14, 2012, 06:25:16 AM ---
--- Quote from: FloridaGreenMan on February 13, 2012, 07:59:34 PM ---You can also just take a 5 gallon bucket, drill a bunch of holes so it drains and fill it with discarded fruits & peels and place under your tree. This will attract pollinators like crazy but not cats. This method is used by annona growers to help attract annona pollinators (Nitidulid beetles). It is not so necessary in Florida since we already live in the BUG capitol....     

--- End quote ---

Hi FloridaGreenMan
Those Nitidulid beetles also help to pollinate my Cherimoya trees, I have also found them in over ripe Guava's! But I don't know if they are the same as the Annona seed borer?

Thanks for the tip, I will try it  :)

--- End quote ---

Nitiludids are very tiny beetles, almost the size of flea and they do not damage the fruit.  Annpna seed borer is the larvae of the Chalcid fly. The fly lays the eggs in the fruit and the larvae burrow into the seeds. They are totally different.       

Guanabanus:
I have seen someone run his fingers over the male flower, check to see pollen sticking on his fingers, then very lightly running his hand over a female flower.   I didn't check back to see if it actually worked.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version