Author Topic: Looking for house/property in south florida  (Read 4694 times)

shaneatwell

• California, San Diego, sunset 23 and 18
    • View Profile
Looking for house/property in south florida
« on: December 15, 2020, 09:48:25 PM »
Starting to think about retirement. Anyone know of a small house with established fruit trees, especially mango, for sale in south Florida? Planning to visit in May.
Shane

murahilin

• Administrator
    • USA Greenacres, Florida Zone 10b
    • View Profile
Re: Looking for house/property in south florida
« Reply #1 on: December 16, 2020, 10:50:40 AM »
Shane,

I'm a real estate agent. I might be able to help you find a property.

shaneatwell

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 16, 2020, 11:32:05 AM »
That's promising. I'll PM you.
Shane

TonyinCC

• Trying to enjoy home grown fruit 12 months a year
    • Cape Coral,FL
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 16, 2020, 07:02:00 PM »
You can buy a mansion in South Florida for the cost of a small house in San Diego.....

johnb51

• USA Deerfield Beach, FL Zone 11a
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 17, 2020, 09:34:41 AM »
You can buy a mansion in South Florida for the cost of a small house in San Diego.....
But for better value and peace and quiet I think I'd avoid Miami-Dade, Broward, Palm Beach, or Collier (counties) unless you need a city vibe.
« Last Edit: December 17, 2020, 02:40:58 PM by johnb51 »
John

shaneatwell

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 18, 2020, 01:33:01 PM »
I'd be happy with a city vibe as long as i can still have a dozen trees and not spend too much. I have found a couple in the area that are worth considering.

Question on another topic:
What's going on with the algae blooms? I like swimming, surfing, sailing etc. and am imagining myself doing a lot of that. But I'm coming across all kinds of articles on horrible algae blooms, smell, toxins etc. Seems like anything around and north of Ft Myers is the worse, but also around St. Lucie. Doesn't seem like there's a solution in sight either. Actually I've read plenty on what's going on. My real question is: how bad is it and should I avoid those areas, including pine island?

https://www.pineisland-eagle.com/2018/08/08/pine-island-residents-dealing-with-red-tide-and-blue-green-algae/
Shane

vall

• Treasure Coast
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 18, 2020, 02:07:30 PM »
Thanks for starting this thread Shane.  I am considering a move too.. my first thought was to look around Vero Beach. Someplace rural though, I want livestock.

Is this different algae than we had earlier this year in SD? It didn't affect me but one of my friends couldn't make the long walk from Cardiff to the campground.
- Val

nullzero

• Zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 18, 2020, 02:36:46 PM »
I can give you some information on St Lucie. You want to be within 5 mi of ocean to grow tropicals. Algae blooms are a issue like a few weeks on alternating years. Unless your near the back of a canal or within a half mi of a river it will not greatly affect you unless you have bad allergies. St Lucie west is nice but does get frosts more common and has mostly all HOA.

East of 95 and south of prima vista in st lucie is where you want to look. There is still a good number of lots to build on. Most of Neighborhoods are quiet and low crime.
Grow mainly fruits, vegetables, and herbs.

nullzero

• Zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 18, 2020, 02:39:26 PM »
Thanks for starting this thread Shane.  I am considering a move too.. my first thought was to look around Vero Beach. Someplace rural though, I want livestock.

Is this different algae than we had earlier this year in SD? It didn't affect me but one of my friends couldn't make the long walk from Cardiff to the campground.

Vero Beach is very nice but runs a bit colder then st lucie or lower. The coconut belt ends in Vero Beach within a mi of intercoastal. Where as st lucie you can still grow mature coconuts about 4mi inland from intercoastal.
Grow mainly fruits, vegetables, and herbs.

shaneatwell

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 18, 2020, 03:31:33 PM »
Thanks Null. Very cool vall. We should compare notes. I don't think the toxic stuff is the same as the red tide we have in SoCal occasionally. I think its quite a bit worse. For your search, are you looking for a house too or just land? And are you trying to be close to Vero Beach?
Shane

johnb51

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 18, 2020, 08:41:08 PM »

Vero Beach is very nice but runs a bit colder then st lucie or lower. The coconut belt ends in Vero Beach within a mi of intercoastal. Where as st lucie you can still grow mature coconuts about 4mi inland from intercoastal.
Who cares about coconuts? ;)  Mangos, lychees, and avocados are what's important!  As far as I know, those would grow even in Melbourne or Highlands County.
John

Galatians522

• Florida 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 18, 2020, 09:32:39 PM »
There are a lot of Mango, Lychee, and Avocado trees here in Highlands County especially since we have had a number of warm years. But, we have had two light frosts already this year and the temperature varies greatly based on the micro climate. Occationally, we get into the mid 20s and I have seen it in the teens here once in my life.

vall

• Treasure Coast
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 18, 2020, 09:53:04 PM »
Yeah, I'm still deciding what I absolutely need to grow. Definitely mango, pineapple, papaya, avocado, guava, some sort of annona, but I may stick to someplace that can grow low chill deciduous fruit rather than tropicals like coconut.
- Val

TnTrobbie

• runs with pruners
  • ZonePusher has a spot for that.
    • 10b + 9b FL
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 19, 2020, 05:38:51 AM »
My only regret since planting fruit trees first when I lived at my moms (in Broward) in 2006 was not planting a coconut tree. Now that I have my own space for about 4 yrs in 9B I try to grow everything I like tropical and sub tropical- that I can find. If you like coconut water, go for it. They take a while to bear but you will be rewarded. It sucks when I feel for coconut water and Publix and Walmart has good quality ones for $5 for an 8oz or $10 for a larger size. The water, jelly, husk (have you seen the prices for coco coir!?!?!)......lots of uses.
The Earth laughs in flowers. And bear gifts through fruits.
No where to plant it ...but at least I got it. ;)
F*ck squirrels and deers

johnb51

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 19, 2020, 09:31:56 AM »
Yeah, I'm still deciding what I absolutely need to grow. Definitely mango, pineapple, papaya, avocado, guava, some sort of annona, but I may stick to someplace that can grow low chill deciduous fruit rather than tropicals like coconut.
That's why I think Highlands County might be ideal--for the low-chill deciduous and persimmons, too.  Super-low temps are likely a thing of the past for that part of Florida, and micro-climates do matter.  I'd like to see more California fruit-growing enthusiasts move this way.  Guys, it actually rains here!  (Probably a good 70 inches this year in SE FL.  Even Richmond, VA, where my sister moved to from CA, got 60 inches this year.)
« Last Edit: December 19, 2020, 09:42:42 AM by johnb51 »
John

Galatians522

• Florida 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: December 19, 2020, 01:02:36 PM »
That's why I think Highlands County might be ideal--for the low-chill deciduous and persimmons, too.  Super-low temps are likely a thing of the past for that part of Florida, and micro-climates do matter.  I'd like to see more California fruit-growing enthusiasts move this way.  Guys, it actually rains here!  (Probably a good 70 inches this year in SE FL.  Even Richmond, VA, where my sister moved to from CA, got 60 inches this year.)

If you have a strong desire to grow low chill temperate fruit, California has by far the better climate. It really stings for me to say that since I am a Florida boy who hates to admit that California has better anything, but it is true. It is actually disease more than chill that limits our temperate fruits (although California does get more chill for the same climate zone). Two examples are Pierce's Disease (transferred by sap sucking bugs) and Peach Tree Short Life (transfered by nematodes). Many people do not realize that the bacteria that causes Pierce's Disease (xylella fastidiosa) also affects most temperate fruit. In plums it is called Plum Leaf Scald (and I believe much of the random dieback people see on temperates here is caused by this disease). I have watched 5 commercial attempts to grow peaches here in Highlands County fail due in all likelyhood to Peach Tree Short Life. One was organic and another was an attempt by a very successful commercial citrus grower. In each case the trees grew incredibly fast in the first two years and then began a slow decline as the trees sucumbed to the disease (even though they were on the recommended rootstock). In about 7-10 years the trees were virtually non-productive and had mostly been removed. Re-planting trees with that frequency typically ensures that commercial operations are non-viable, but may not be a big deal for homeowners who are more interested in a high quality product than the profit margin.

That being said, I'm not trying to discourage anyone. I just want to provide people with realistic expectations. If you are willing to put in the extra work and are ok with re-planting on a regular basis you can grow some temperates here. I aloso think that there is room to improve the status quo through experimentation. For example, I plan to try plum as a rootstock for peaches since it seems to be far less affected by the Peach Tree Short Life.

shaneatwell

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: December 19, 2020, 02:15:59 PM »
I’m aiming for more tropical than vall. I don’t have to have coconut but I won’t miss growing stone fruits. I’ll be happy with a few mango, avocado, lychee, citrus, annonas and guavas. And a nice community with a couple interesting other things to do.
Shane

johnb51

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: December 20, 2020, 11:47:35 PM »
If you have a strong desire to grow low chill temperate fruit, California has by far the better climate. It really stings for me to say that since I am a Florida boy who hates to admit that California has better anything, but it is true. It is actually disease more than chill that limits our temperate fruits (although California does get more chill for the same climate zone). Two examples are Pierce's Disease (transferred by sap sucking bugs) and Peach Tree Short Life (transfered by nematodes). Many people do not realize that the bacteria that causes Pierce's Disease (xylella fastidiosa) also affects most temperate fruit. In plums it is called Plum Leaf Scald (and I believe much of the random dieback people see on temperates here is caused by this disease). I have watched 5 commercial attempts to grow peaches here in Highlands County fail due in all likelyhood to Peach Tree Short Life. One was organic and another was an attempt by a very successful commercial citrus grower. In each case the trees grew incredibly fast in the first two years and then began a slow decline as the trees sucumbed to the disease (even though they were on the recommended rootstock). In about 7-10 years the trees were virtually non-productive and had mostly been removed. Re-planting trees with that frequency typically ensures that commercial operations are non-viable, but may not be a big deal for homeowners who are more interested in a high quality product than the profit margin.
Ok, thanks for that.  Now it's making sense to me why more deciduous fruit isn't being grown in FL.
John

Galatians522

• Florida 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: December 21, 2020, 08:27:15 AM »
Thanks for listening to me talk, I know it was lengthy. As far as stone fruit is concerned, I think people will have the best chance of long term success in central Florida with plums on native plum rootstock. Unfortunately, this combination is not offered much because most plums in local nurseries are on the "recommended" peach rootstock (because it makes larger fruit). Eventually, the peach rootstock dies out from under the plum. However, I have seen native plums here that are over 100 years old--Peach Tree Short Life obviously was not a problem for them.

Galatians522

• Florida 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: December 21, 2020, 08:30:39 AM »
I’m aiming for more tropical than vall. I don’t have to have coconut but I won’t miss growing stone fruits. I’ll be happy with a few mango, avocado, lychee, citrus, annonas and guavas. And a nice community with a couple interesting other things to do.

We had you until you got to the "other interesting things to do." Unless that includes church functions, bass fishing, and the occational car race. Lol!

johnb51

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: December 21, 2020, 09:20:47 AM »

We had you until you got to the "other interesting things to do." Unless that includes church functions, bass fishing, and the occational car race. Lol!
I mean, he could always drive into Orlando, WPB, or Tampa for "interesting other things to do."  Also, you can talk all you want about deciduous fruits in Florida.  That's really useful information, and we should all appreciate it.  ;D
John

shaneatwell

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: December 21, 2020, 12:10:49 PM »

Funny :). Yeah fishing will do. Anything to do with water really that’s within 30min drive. Gardening is fun but I don’t want to become a full time farmer and my wife isn’t even into the trees. Pure consumer. I saw a couple places in Jupiter farms and in homestead that are promising.
Shane

vall

• Treasure Coast
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: December 21, 2020, 01:59:25 PM »
Thanks for listening to me talk, I know it was lengthy. As far as stone fruit is concerned, I think people will have the best chance of long term success in central Florida with plums on native plum rootstock. Unfortunately, this combination is not offered much because most plums in local nurseries are on the "recommended" peach rootstock (because it makes larger fruit). Eventually, the peach rootstock dies out from under the plum. However, I have seen native plums here that are over 100 years old--Peach Tree Short Life obviously was not a problem for them.

Thank you for the insight. I appreciate it!
- Val

johnb51

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: December 22, 2020, 12:03:11 AM »
Funny :). Yeah fishing will do. Anything to do with water really that’s within 30min drive. Gardening is fun but I don’t want to become a full time farmer and my wife isn’t even into the trees. Pure consumer. I saw a couple places in Jupiter farms and in homestead that are promising.
I'd take Jupiter Farms over Homestead any day!
John

shaneatwell

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: April 13, 2021, 10:47:11 PM »
Ok. Related question. My daughter is considering university of Miami. They’re not doing official tours so we’re looking for someone to show us the campus weekend after next. Anyone have a kid there willing?
Shane