Author Topic: Growing a Sublime Lemon Zest in container under controlled conditions  (Read 1364 times)

bovine421

• Shake Rag Rd Fl 9b
    • View Profile
Since they say that lemon zest flavor is intensified by dry conditions. Since no one can control the weather in South Florida or pretty much anything else.Lol
Would the probabilities of growing a few Sublime Lemon Zest increase with growing it in a container and controlling the moisture intake.

Food for thought it's Friday and I have the day off
So far Java hasn't been able to get me motivated to go out and spray that Insidious beast called anthracnose.

Omnigul
 She behaves very much like anthracnose
« Last Edit: April 16, 2021, 01:02:18 PM by bovine421 »
Tete Nene Julie Juliet Carrie Ice Cream Coconut Cream Little Gem  Dot  Mallika PPK  OS  Pina Colada Cotton Candy Buxton Spice Karen Michelle M-4 Beverly Marc Anthony White Pirie Lychee Cherilata Plantain Barbados Cherry

JulianoGS

• USA, South Florida
    • View Profile
Re: Growing a Sublime Lemon Zest in container under controlled conditions
« Reply #1 on: April 16, 2021, 01:14:01 PM »
Seems like a cool project! Isn't lemon zest a fast grower?
« Last Edit: April 16, 2021, 02:16:15 PM by JulianoGS »
Be very careful and mindful of what you sow, for whatever a man sows, that he will also reap.

bsbullie

• USA, Boynton Beach, FL 33472, Zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 16, 2021, 02:07:35 PM »
Since they say that lemon zest flavor is intensified by dry conditions. Since no one can control the weather in South Florida or pretty much anything else.Lol
Would the probabilities of growing a few Sublime Lemon Zest increase with growing it in a container and controlling the moisture intake.

So far Java hasn't been able to get me motivated to go out and spray that Insidious beast called anthracnose.

Omnigul

Gonna be a struggle due to its vigor.  Controlling water in larger pots can be a chore (or shall we say abstruggle), as the tree get older and to proper fruiting size.  Also, what are you gonna do when we get boatloads of rain?
 Personally,  a waste of time.
- Rob

bovine421

• Shake Rag Rd Fl 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 16, 2021, 02:31:36 PM »

Omnigul

Gonna be a struggle due to its vigor.  Controlling water in larger pots can be a chore (or shall we say abstruggle), as the tree get older and to proper fruiting size.  Also, what are you gonna do when we get boatloads of rain?
I have one ordered on a dwarfing rootstock. We all know that is a roll of the dice. I'm trying to decide if I want to keep it in a pot or put it in the ground it would be used for a potential source of Bud wood.
I was trying to kick around how I could keep it from receiving rain. Put pallet with umbrella maybe a pavilion so it gets sun in the morning and afternoon.
I was hoping maybe the container Growers would chime in and kick the can around a bit.
What's say you
 Container Growers can you grow a Sublime lemon zest :)
« Last Edit: April 16, 2021, 02:34:36 PM by bovine421 »
Tete Nene Julie Juliet Carrie Ice Cream Coconut Cream Little Gem  Dot  Mallika PPK  OS  Pina Colada Cotton Candy Buxton Spice Karen Michelle M-4 Beverly Marc Anthony White Pirie Lychee Cherilata Plantain Barbados Cherry

bsbullie

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 16, 2021, 04:53:57 PM »

Omnigul

I have one ordered on a dwarfing rootstock. We all know that is a roll of the dice. I'm trying to decide if I want to keep it in a pot or put it in the ground it would be used for a potential source of Bud wood.
I was trying to kick around how I could keep it from receiving rain. Put pallet with umbrella maybe a pavilion so it gets sun in the morning and afternoon.
I was hoping maybe the container Growers would chime in and kick the can around a bit.
What's say you

I am not aware of any proven dwarfing rootstock for LZ.
- Rob

roblack

• Miami, FL 11A
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 16, 2021, 05:32:58 PM »
Rather than container, I would grow in ground and use tarps to control soil moisture. Could add some giant umbrellas as well, lol.

Probably not worth the bother, but who knows. good luck.

Galatians522

• Florida 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 16, 2021, 06:37:58 PM »
I think a lot of reports about washed out flavor come from swampy/mucky soils down south. The deep sand that we have in the central part of the state is a totally different animal. I don't think you will ever get enough rain to create a problem in your location. If you are still woried about it, though I would think growing it on a low mound in sandy soil would be plenty sufficient to get good flavor. It is amazing how dry the soil on top of the slight ridges in my yard is even after the 3" rain we had last week.

bovine421

• Shake Rag Rd Fl 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 16, 2021, 07:24:36 PM »
You know I'm pretty sure that Rob has the secret to Sublime lemon zest mangoes. He's just holding out and won't tell the rest of us. I don't know if it's imported volcanic soil or The Culinary diet he feeds his dog but I'm sure he has Sublime lemon zest mangoes. I wouldn't be on this quest for a Sublime LZ mango if he hadn't told me that lemon zest is a must have mango. I would probably sleep better if he had just told me it's problematic and overrated.Lol
« Last Edit: April 16, 2021, 07:28:06 PM by bovine421 »

pineislander

• Bokeelia, FL
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 16, 2021, 07:39:05 PM »
I ran across this description of water stressing for fruit out of the Phillippines, using tarps. Yes it won't work in a high water table area:
http://dizonexoticfruittrees.com/ref/waterstress.htm

Tommyng

• Acreage florida
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 16, 2021, 09:50:01 PM »

Omnigul

What's say you

Just be creative and cover the pot so when it rains the soil in the pot don’t get wet, but it’s difficult for rain to really flood  well draining soil especially with leaves shielding some of the rain and the sun drying up the soil the next day.
Don’t rush, take time and enjoy life and food.

Jaboticaba45

• Check out TN Tropical Fruits!
  • Tropical Fruit Tree Connoisseur
    • Chattanooga TN 7b
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 16, 2021, 09:57:19 PM »
If you have a greenhouse it's pretty easy to control watering.  Although not ideal for a long time, you could probably fruit it in a 15 to 25 gallon pot in a greenhouse. I used my advantage of having a greenhouse to withold water to try to force fruit set on my grumichama. Although dry, it still didn't set.

bovine421

• Shake Rag Rd Fl 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 17, 2021, 08:49:32 AM »

Omnigul

What's say you

Just be creative and cover the pot so when it rains the soil in the pot don’t get wet, but it’s difficult for rain to really flood  well draining soil especially with leaves shielding some of the rain and the sun drying up the soil the next day.

This morning before I read what you said. I was thinking one of those plastic convexed garbage can lids. Cut to the center make a hole. Place it over the pot. Then duct tape the center and put Walmart bags around the hole in the center then duct tape again. You would not want it too tight to rub the bark but you could potentially stop most of the rain. Zip tie the outer edges of the pot to the lid to keep it from blowing off. Place it on a pallet to keep it off of the ground. If there is a Will there's definitely a way. Unfortunately my name is not Will.

It makes good theater of the mind but would require much commitment :)

« Last Edit: April 17, 2021, 09:38:09 AM by bovine421 »

bovine421

• Shake Rag Rd Fl 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 17, 2021, 10:42:20 AM »
I think a lot of reports about washed out flavor come from swampy/mucky soils down south. The deep sand that we have in the central part of the state is a totally different animal. I don't think you will ever get enough rain to create a problem in your location. If you are still woried about it, though I would think growing it on a low mound in sandy soil would be plenty sufficient to get good flavor. It is amazing how dry the soil on top of the slight ridges in my yard is even after the 3" rain we had last week.

There's a lot of Truth in what you are saying. My dad been longtime departed now. He lived on a Oak Hammock Ridge. One time I took post hole diggers and dug down a couple of feet and took a five gallon bucket of water and poured it in the hole. It disappeared faster than I could pour it. This is a little exaggeration here but I've been to spots where you can kick the ground with your boot and practically start at Artesian well. I'm pretty happy with the soil that I have my trees growing in. On my property they dug a pond and built up my lot so I have a silty loam with a clay base. The first foot is a silty loam little bit of mucky mixture. Deeper than that it's hard to dig and takes awhile to perk but once the trees get established they love it.
I'm starting to think if Rob's lemon zest are Sublime then mine will be to.Lol  :)
« Last Edit: April 17, 2021, 10:47:49 AM by bovine421 »

zands

• mango_zango
    • Zone 10b, Florida, USA, 33321
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 17, 2021, 10:50:53 AM »
NDM#4 also does better dry like it was five years ago. The fruits actually developed acidic complexity/ A good project for a container grower. Plywood cut in half is how you keep the rain out. Plywood halfs with a hole in the middle where they join up at, for the tree trunk. Paint the plywood.

Elevate the plywood a few inches above the mango tree container to allow air circulation. To deter rot and fungus build up on the surface of the mango container's soil. Try to remove plywood on non-rainy days. Sunlight is good and antifungal.
« Last Edit: April 17, 2021, 11:08:35 AM by zands »

bsbullie

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 17, 2021, 11:01:50 AM »
No blooms on my LZ...only tree of my 22 trees not to flower.  Now that is sublime.

Be very careful of all the hokey recommendations to prevent water.  Not only can it cause the suffering of a young tree but with exterior moisture and Florida temps, fungus and rot could follow.
- Rob

bovine421

• Shake Rag Rd Fl 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: April 17, 2021, 05:32:02 PM »
No blooms on my LZ...only tree of my 22 trees not to flower.  Now that is sublime.

Be very careful of all the hokey recommendations to prevent water.  Not only can it cause the suffering of a young tree but with exterior moisture and Florida temps, fungus and rot could follow.

What about Yi Xuan have you made  a decision on it yet? It seems as though there were a few folks who had high hopes for that variety

bsbullie

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 17, 2021, 05:34:01 PM »

What about Yi Xuan have you made  a decision on it yet? It seems as though there were a few folks who had high hopes for that variety

Sharpening the blades of the saw...
- Rob

bovine421

• Shake Rag Rd Fl 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 17, 2021, 05:44:46 PM »

I don't know if I'm using the right terminology but are you going to skeletonize it and then top work it or stumpify and side cleft or let it produce saplings side veneer grafts.

If so which varieties inquiring minds want to know. :)

bsbullie

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 17, 2021, 08:11:59 PM »

I don't know if I'm using the right terminology but are you going to skeletonize it and then top work it or stumpify and side cleft or let it produce saplings side veneer grafts.

Will do vaneers on main scaffold limbs.  What variety...TBD.
- Rob

bovine421

• Shake Rag Rd Fl 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 17, 2021, 11:07:58 PM »

Will do vaneers on main scaffold limbs.  What variety...TBD.

Well I think I have a better idea of what you won't  be grafting. You have mentioned peach cobbler a few times but you may already have that. I'm going to take a shot in the dark and say you are going to end up grafting val-carrie just because I don't think I've heard your opinion on that variety.

bsbullie

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: April 17, 2021, 11:10:10 PM »
Already have peach cobbler.   No, will not be a val carrie.
- Rob

Mark in Texas

• Fredericksburg Texas, (central TX), zone 8a
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: April 18, 2021, 08:17:57 AM »
What's say you

RootTrapper or buy some Griffin's Spin Out and paint a conventional pot.   Used it for many years.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk