Author Topic: Planting at the fire station  (Read 8896 times)

mikesid

• Zone 10B/11a - East Boynton Beach - Florida
    • View Profile
Planting at the fire station
« on: January 28, 2014, 12:44:42 PM »
Since running out of room at my house I decided to utilize the empty space around some of the stations..so far I planted out 5 Crunchy Lemon jackfruit seedlings and today I popped a Sweet Tart, lemon Zest and Coconut Cream mango tree in the ground. I also put a Navel Orange in I got last week at Lowes for $15 on the reduced price shelf...funny thing is I planted these Zill's varieties of mangoes right along Miner Rd. I think Lawrence Zill and Chalres Miner (of Miner Rd) helped introduce mangoes to Boynton beach quite a few years ago..

I also planted a nice herb garden raised bed.
« Last Edit: January 28, 2014, 12:46:26 PM by mikesid »

davidgarcia899

• Marabu Groves - Redland, Florida
  • Marabu Groves
    • USA, Miami-Dade, 33187, 10b
    • View Profile
Re: Planting at the fire station
« Reply #1 on: January 28, 2014, 02:02:49 PM »
I like that idea, but is it legal/won't they pull out/mow your trees
- David Antonio Garcia

zands

• mango_zango
    • Zone 10b, Florida, USA, 33321
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 28, 2014, 02:41:57 PM »
I have some potted trees (non-grafted) that need to be planted guerrilla style. Good going Mike. One day people will be appreciating the fruits from what you planted in public places.    (and semi-public)

It is always a good time to be planting fruit trees anywhere and everywhere in a place like Florida

gunnar429

• Nothing like fruit from your own yard!
    • West Park, FL 33023, Zone 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 28, 2014, 02:44:20 PM »

Wait......you're not a fireman????   Wow!  That is bold---love it!
~Jeff

"Say you just can't live that negative way, if you know what I mean. Make way for the positive day." - Positive Vibration

nullzero

• Zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 28, 2014, 02:55:35 PM »

Wait......you're not a fireman????   Wow!  That is bold---love it!

You can get away with it if you dress like a city landscaper. Just get a orange visibility vest, and wear like your doing a landscaping job. Someone ask you a question, say planting trees for the city (which you are, planting trees for residents of the city to enjoy!).
Grow mainly fruits, vegetables, and herbs.

cwojo

• Boynton Beach, FL 33436 zone 10a/10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 28, 2014, 04:02:18 PM »
What about planting trees is illegal? You think the landscape people are going to pull out mango trees that they know they will be picking fruit from in a couple years?

davidgarcia899

• Marabu Groves - Redland, Florida
  • Marabu Groves
    • USA, Miami-Dade, 33187, 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 28, 2014, 04:46:10 PM »
What about planting trees is illegal? You think the landscape people are going to pull out mango trees that they know they will be picking fruit from in a couple years?

Yes, there are usually reasons that they keep fields like that open.
- David Antonio Garcia

SWRancher

• Merritt Island, FL Zone 9B
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 28, 2014, 04:50:07 PM »
I think Mike is a fireman. 

mikesid

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 28, 2014, 05:03:38 PM »
Yeah, I work at the fire station. I got permission from the station captain to turn this into a fruit orchard. He actually told me tear out whatever I want and plant whatever I want. The fire stations have some autonomy with the city... Actually, (cwojo) on the forum is doing the same thing at another station. Heck, I'm even getting the city to reimburse me for the herb garden as it was part of my (yearly goal)..I think it will be cool to visit this after I retire and see how these trees are doing..

natsgarden123

« Reply #9 on: January 28, 2014, 05:38:22 PM »
Is the city paying for those gardens or are you doing it yourself?  Just curious. :)

Ethan

• Central California Z9/9
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 28, 2014, 05:44:36 PM »
Keep up the good work, why waste water on grass and ornamental trees when it can be put to good use watering fruit trees. 8)

mikesid

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 28, 2014, 05:57:54 PM »
City won't foot the bill for the gardens. That's on me. The trees I'm planting I grafted so there is no real cost on either end. I only got the herb garden paid for as it's going to be used by every shift and the city likes it as it promotes their principles of stewardship and creativity within the department. Plus many of the children that visit the fire stations can see the firefighters using their space for 'Green' purposes. I also made and donated a composter to use too at the stations. I'll tell ya, since showing people the various fruits out there I've turned on quite a few people here at the dept to fruit trees which I think is awesome.
« Last Edit: January 28, 2014, 06:03:12 PM by mikesid »

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • USA, Big Island, East Hawaii, Zone 13a
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
« Reply #12 on: January 28, 2014, 06:34:37 PM »
Yeah, I work at the fire station. I got permission from the station captain to turn this into a fruit orchard. He actually told me tear out whatever I want and plant whatever I want. The fire stations have some autonomy with the city... Actually, (cwojo) on the forum is doing the same thing at another station. Heck, I'm even getting the city to reimburse me for the herb garden as it was part of my (yearly goal)..I think it will be cool to visit this after I retire and see how these trees are doing..

Mike, i think what you are doing is wonderful. I wish everyone was like you. I congratulate you! Keep it up.
Oscar

mikesid

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 28, 2014, 06:48:49 PM »
I was actually thinking of petitioning the city to preserve some of the old orchards around here. Someone like Walter Zill who would like to sell the 1/2 acre of mango trees he has on the south side of his land might appreciate the idea of knowing that his hard work would be preserved for years to come. We have a commission here in the city that is open to 'green' ideas. We also have a historical society here too that I may consider joining in order to raise some of these ideas. The city has a lot of unused open land and with the increase of diverse cultures here in the city I think implementing a tropical fruit park may be good idea to not only attract new residence but also tourists.

mikesid

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 28, 2014, 07:09:02 PM »
Here's an old pic of a Golden abaca pineapple plantation from the city...
https://scontent-a.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-frc3/s720x720/1452115_607232782656485_113964634_n.jpg

I've never even heard of these pineapples.

natsgarden123

« Reply #15 on: January 28, 2014, 07:48:02 PM »
Well this is amazing! Thanks for your stellar efforts! 

Tomas

• USA, Virginia - 7a
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 28, 2014, 08:21:18 PM »
That's a great idea mikesid!! I smiled when I read your post.

Tomas

mikesid

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 02, 2014, 06:19:47 PM »
here is an update at the station..I just planted a Valencia Pride, PPk, Mallika, and Juicy Peach and macadamia nut…in addition to the Lemon Zest, Sweet Tart, and Coconut Cream already there.

edzone9

• Zone 10 SW Florida
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 02, 2014, 08:29:09 PM »
That is awesome ! we have a few Firefighters here, Im a FPI ;)..
Next time im in the BB area would like to check out the Station's Fruit Grove..

Ed..
Zone 10

bsbullie

• USA, Boynton Beach, FL 33472, Zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 02, 2014, 09:09:07 PM »
Mike - are all the trees planted as close together as seen in the picture?   VP and the macadamia will get large and the PPK is pretty vigorous also.  My guess is Juicy Peach may also get large  basing on its TA parentage.
- Rob

strkpr00

• USA, Florida, Davie zone10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: May 03, 2014, 11:53:18 AM »
If that is a five foot high fence they should be far enough apart as I guestimate, on the other hand how often is the ficus hedge treated for whitefly.

mikesid

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: May 03, 2014, 12:35:22 PM »
Mike - are all the trees planted as close together as seen in the picture?   VP and the macadamia will get large and the PPK is pretty vigorous also.  My guess is Juicy Peach may also get large  basing on its TA parentage.
Rob, they are approx 15-18ft apart....I thought that would be enough...maybe I'm wrong? I have the macadamian in a different area without anything else around. I also have 5 Crunchy Lemon Jackfruit seedlings in the ground. Maybe CWOJO here on the forum will weigh in on what he has planted at Boynton Beach fire station #2...I've donated a few trees to his cause...

mikesid

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: May 03, 2014, 12:37:11 PM »
If that is a five foot high fence they should be far enough apart as I guestimate, on the other hand how often is the ficus hedge treated for whitefly.
That's an eight foot high fence...not sure about the ficus and whitefly? I figured why not plant something, it makes my 24 hour shifts go by easier when I surround myself with fruit trees.

CGameProgrammer

• San Diego (10b)
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: May 03, 2014, 12:50:28 PM »
That fence looks a lot smaller in the photo; I guess we just lacked a sense of scale. Can you take another photo with a car or person in it?

cwojo

• Boynton Beach, FL 33436 zone 10a/10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: May 03, 2014, 12:56:49 PM »
At station two, we have a Mauritius lychee, Marcus pumpkin avo, a seven foot tall seedling avo that we hope will put out good fruits... No plans to graft on to it now, we have nine or ten smaller avo seedlings that we will graft with various Hawaiian cultivars, a Multi grafted citrus, an Excalibur Mamey and magana Mamey. On the back patio is a jaboticaba surrounded by sweet pepper plants, tomatoes, and carrots. We also have several banana mats starting... From dwarf cavendish, to a black cavendish variety I got from a Cuban, plantains, dwarf namwah. And another dwarf variety that has only grown  a foot in two years, despite all the ones next to it growing multiple feet and shooting out pups. My goal this year was to get several trees and the fertilizer to take care of them, and it was approved. It helps that on my shift there is another ff who likes fruit trees and veggies, and another ff on another shift that tends to the herb garden we have outside the kitchen

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk