Tropical Fruit > Tropical Fruit Discussion

Searching for some jackfruit advice

(1/3) > >>

Pancrazio:
I'm willing to give a try with jackfruits.
I don't have any source for grafted plants right now, so i think i will go with seeds. It's way easier to obtain them. I will post later in the appropriate section a message about the seeds i'm searching, but for now i'm just searching for advice. It is pretty likely that i'm missing something obvious (like flowering time, pollination, and so on) ad i'd like to have it pointed.
I'm thinking about growing a jackfruit more or less like a potted mango, bringin it inside the greenhouse during winter and keeping it out in summer.
First, i checked the varieties listed here:
http://www.virtualherbarium.org/tropicalfruit/jackfruit-cultivars.html
and here:
http://www.sarasotafruitandnutsociety.org/information/TropicalFruit/jackfruitvarieties.htm
According to those sites, the Golden Nugget seems the most promising variety for me. It is an early one, wich is good because my short season, and it has little fruits, wich is needed for a potted variety. I think about going with Golden Nugget seeds.
But i need to know the following things:
Does jackfruit seedling come reasonably true to the parent?
Does it need cross pollination?
How much cold hardy is it? If it can't take an extended time at 34F i won't be able to grow it here.
Has someone see it grow in pot of reasonable size and still produce fruit?
Thank you very much for your suggestions!

fruitlovers:
Bongiorno, if you can fruit mango you can probably fruit jackfruit also. But ofcourse will also need protection during your winter. They can take short cold snap, but if they spend much time under 50F cold soil they will slowly die. I think one of the most cold hardy ones is Black Gold. I've sent seeds of this one to Israel and they were able to fruit it there. Jackfruit is not totally true from seed, BUT if you start with seeds from good quality cultivar you are very likely to get good quality fruit. They are self pollinating. Yes they can fruit in a large pot, like 100 liter size.

siafu:

Pan,

Jackfruits are big trees. It is not an easy tree to keep small.

bsbullie:

--- Quote from: siafu on April 07, 2012, 04:53:16 PM ---
Pan,

Jackfruits are big trees. It is not an easy tree to keep small.

--- End quote ---
That is absolutely incorrect.  Jackfruits can be kept at 10 feet tall and still produce fruit.

Jackfruit Pruning Concepts

Pruning Jackfruit

Pancrazio:
Thank everyone for you answers.

--- Quote from: fruitlovers on April 07, 2012, 04:45:59 PM ---They can take short cold snap, but if they spend much time under 50F cold soil they will slowly die.

--- End quote ---

This is bad. I have a lot of time under 50F during winter. During January 50F is the average maximum daily temperature. So, basically, on the average January i can only hope to reach 50F for few hours a day.... February isn't much different.
Well, maybe they are a bit more tropical than i expected, i thought they behave like a mango regarding cold but apparently they don't.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version