Author Topic: Does anyone grow Ruby Roman or Kyoho grapes?  (Read 2077 times)

LycheeLust

• I need the seedless lychee
    • Los Angeles, 10A
    • View Profile
Does anyone grow Ruby Roman or Kyoho grapes?
« on: January 06, 2021, 07:38:22 PM »
When I went to Japan the kyoho grape was one of the best fruits I ever had. I tried 4 different brands of California Kyoho grapes and none of them were as good, they were too small, sweeter, and lacked the plum flavor.

I got a kyoho grape plant from someone on facebook Marketplace and am waiting to see if it can produce the same quality grape. I know there is a special practice for growing grapes in Japan, and I’ll try and do the same.

Does anyone else grow Kyoho or ruby Roman? Has it ever produced the golf ball sized grapes? Do they taste the same as the ones in Japan?

« Last Edit: January 06, 2021, 07:40:31 PM by LycheeLust »

Jaboticaba45

• Check out TN Tropical Fruits!
  • Tropical Fruit Tree Connoisseur
    • Chattanooga TN 7b
    • View Profile
Re: Does anyone grow Ruby Roman or Kyoho grapes?
« Reply #1 on: January 07, 2021, 12:29:36 AM »
When I was in Korea, I got to try shine muscat and kyoho grapes. They usually have seeds, but by using giberellic acid on the flowers they are 95% seedless. Very expensive as it requires a lot of labor to keep the grapes seedless. Higher end grapes were selling about $25 a bunch. To get the fruits bigger, I have heard that they thin the grapes in the bunch. That is why I doubt that shine muscat will be grown in the US- it is not worth the cost of growing the grapes commercially.

LycheeLust

• Los Angeles, 10A
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 07, 2021, 01:00:44 AM »
When I was in Korea, I got to try shine muscat and kyoho grapes. They usually have seeds, but by using giberellic acid on the flowers they are 95% seedless. Very expensive as it requires a lot of labor to keep the grapes seedless. Higher end grapes were selling about $25 a bunch. To get the fruits bigger, I have heard that they thin the grapes in the bunch. That is why I doubt that shine muscat will be grown in the US- it is not worth the cost of growing the grapes commercially.

How does muscat compare to kyoho?

Jaboticaba45

• Check out TN Tropical Fruits!
  • Tropical Fruit Tree Connoisseur
    • Chattanooga TN 7b
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 07, 2021, 12:01:26 PM »
The shine muscat is very different than kyoho. I like it better too. Has the flavor of a muscat, but has the firmness and edible skin of a table grape.

usirius

• Never give up!
    • Southern Germany, 7b
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 10, 2021, 03:50:11 PM »

Does anyone else grow Kyoho or ruby Roman? Has it ever produced the golf ball sized grapes? Do they taste the same as the ones in Japan?

I am growing Kyoho and the fruits are really extraordinary karge. Kyoho beeds  a long warm season  to make sure rhat the fruits grow karfe,  get fully colored and mature snd sweet.

I bought my Kyoho from
 a nursery which is spezialzed on propagating and selling only grape vines..
„May your choices reflect your hopes, not your fears.“ N. Mandela

LycheeLust

• Los Angeles, 10A
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 10, 2021, 04:13:19 PM »

I am growing Kyoho and the fruits are really extraordinary karge. Kyoho beeds  a long warm season  to make sure rhat the fruits grow karfe,  get fully colored and mature snd sweet.

I bought my Kyoho from
 a nursery which is spezialzed on propagating and selling only grape vines..

Yeah that sounds like a real kyoho grape. Does yours have a plum flavor?

sc4001992

• USA, CA, Fullerton
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 10, 2021, 11:09:33 PM »
I have Kyoho grapes and they do taste good. I don't think you will get huge fruits unless you thin them out. I don't thin any of my grapes but they are still nice size fruits.