Author Topic: South California vs South Florida Mangos  (Read 2140 times)

ClayMango

• MangoHunter
    • Zone 9B Ca
    • View Profile
South California vs South Florida Mangos
« on: June 11, 2018, 09:12:44 PM »
Has anyone ever compared the 2 regions? Since being transferred to Norfolk, Va in the Navy, I've started purchasing Mango Boxes from South Florida growers.

Although many factors come into play such as rain, fertilization, temperature, time of the season, age of the tree etc, so I've had Nam Doc Mai, Edward, Coconut Cream, Sweet tart, and Lemon zest from South Florida and not one mango from any of those boxes have even come close to ripened Nam Doc Mai from my old tree in California.... The Brix, flavor profile, texture... everything is just on a whole another level.

I've often heard on here of how bland Nam Doc Mai is... Well the ones from Florida were exactly that, extremely bland and washed out with mild sweetness... While the Nam Dac Mai from my tree in California was like pure sugar Candy in Mango form with extremely mild complexity of acidity and spice. That Nam Dac Mai has remained my baseline for Mangos as it's wiped the floor with everything I've had from Florida. Again might I add, this may be a bad season for Mangos, maybe too much rain, too early in the season, young tree, picked too green... lots of factors here folks...however so far it appears that California may have better growing conditions than South Florida to produce high quality Mangos.
Thinking about joining a Fruitaholics anonymous support group...Fruit addiction has taken over my life!

MangoCountry

• Southeast Florida 10a/b
    • View Profile
Re: South California vs South Florida Mangos
« Reply #1 on: June 11, 2018, 11:49:55 PM »
Nothing will ever surpass the taste of a fruit that you put your heart and soul into to grow. Come grow some mangoes in Florida and then see if there is a difference.

murahilin

• Administrator
    • USA Greenacres, Florida Zone 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 12, 2018, 12:30:45 AM »
Has anyone ever compared the 2 regions? Since being transferred to Norfolk, Va in the Navy, I've started purchasing Mango Boxes from South Florida growers.

Although many factors come into play such as rain, fertilization, temperature, time of the season, age of the tree etc, so I've had Nam Doc Mai, Edward, Coconut Cream, Sweet tart, and Lemon zest from South Florida and not one mango from any of those boxes have even come close to ripened Nam Doc Mai from my old tree in California.... The Brix, flavor profile, texture... everything is just on a whole another level.

I've often heard on here of how bland Nam Doc Mai is... Well the ones from Florida were exactly that, extremely bland and washed out with mild sweetness... While the Nam Dac Mai from my tree in California was like pure sugar Candy in Mango form with extremely mild complexity of acidity and spice. That Nam Dac Mai has remained my baseline for Mangos as it's wiped the floor with everything I've had from Florida. Again might I add, this may be a bad season for Mangos, maybe too much rain, too early in the season, young tree, picked too green... lots of factors here folks...however so far it appears that California may have better growing conditions than South Florida to produce high quality Mangos.

All those are probably why you weren't impressed by the mangos. Even though mangos are available right now, I don't usually start buying mangos until the end of June because I don't think the flavor in the early ones are all that great.

Mangos picked for shipping will also usually not be as good as a mango that you grew on your own tree.

paulmctigue

• South Florida
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 12, 2018, 08:02:18 AM »
Dry conditions = concentrated sugars.
I have had lots of South Florida mangos that explode with flavor!

JF

• North OC California Zone 10B/America Tropical 13A
    • 90631/97000
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 12, 2018, 10:14:19 AM »
Hi Clay
I hope you soon get orders back to California. With respect to Florida mangos I can tell you from my personal experience that they are some of the best mangos I’ve ever had. California produces beautiful unblemished flavorful fruits but so does Florida. Since you are close to Miami you should take a vacation down there and visit some of the nurseries in early July ...... you won’t be disappointed.

Jackson

• Tampa, FL
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 12, 2018, 06:50:42 PM »
ClayMango, I am a mango newbie when it comes to all the varieties grown here in FL. I'm still tasting my way through as many as I can while trying to decide what I want to plant. Nam Doc Mai was on my list to grow until I tasted it last year. The fruit I bought was so sweet, I found it unbearable. I could probably stomach it in a smoothie or milkshake but definitely can't eat it as is.  I am going to try some again this summer before I make the final decision on whether it is worth growing for me.

ClayMango

• MangoHunter
    • Zone 9B Ca
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 12, 2018, 07:41:24 PM »
ClayMango, I am a mango newbie when it comes to all the varieties grown here in FL. I'm still tasting my way through as many as I can while trying to decide what I want to plant. Nam Doc Mai was on my list to grow until I tasted it last year. The fruit I bought was so sweet, I found it unbearable. I could probably stomach it in a smoothie or milkshake but definitely can't eat it as is.  I am going to try some again this summer before I make the final decision on whether it is worth growing for me.

Yep, that description reminds me of the sugar bomb Nam Doc Mai I had which was incredible o my palate... However it also had some nice nuances of spice and acidity.
Thinking about joining a Fruitaholics anonymous support group...Fruit addiction has taken over my life!

ClayMango

• MangoHunter
    • Zone 9B Ca
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 12, 2018, 07:45:01 PM »
Hi Clay
I hope you soon get orders back to California. With respect to Florida mangos I can tell you from my personal experience that they are some of the best mangos I’ve ever had. California produces beautiful unblemished flavorful fruits but so does Florida. Since you are close to Miami you should take a vacation down there and visit some of the nurseries in early July ...... you won’t be disappointed.

Frank I dream of the day when i get transferred or retire back to Southern Ca.... Ether stay in my Temecula home, or sell it and buy a ranch in Fallbrook or De luz.... One way or another I'll be back growing my first love, Mangos and cherimoyas... for now I'm growing top tier Figs which are actually amazing if I might add.