Author Topic: 2021 Mango Season (Florida)  (Read 23397 times)

TonyinCC

• Trying to enjoy home grown fruit 12 months a year
    • Cape Coral,FL
    • View Profile
Re: 2021 Mango Season (Florida)
« Reply #75 on: January 19, 2021, 08:02:22 PM »
My son ate our first mango of the year today, Jan 19 . It was a tiny Maha Chanok about 3 inches long. I was expecting it to be a seedless fruit since it was so small, but it had a seed... I plan on de-fruiting my other Maha tree until Summer.  It is just starting to push bloom buds now.  Hoping for an off season crop late this year or early next from a late Summer/early Fall bloom.

bsbullie

• USA, Boynton Beach, FL 33472, Zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: January 19, 2021, 08:58:42 PM »
My son ate our first mango of the year today, Jan 19 . It was a tiny Maha Chanok about 3 inches long. I was expecting it to be a seedless fruit since it was so small, but it had a seed... I plan on de-fruiting my other Maha tree until Summer.  It is just starting to push bloom buds now.  Hoping for an off season crop late this year or early next from a late Summer/early Fall bloom.

Rolling the dice, huh?
- Rob

TonyinCC

• Cape Coral,FL
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: January 20, 2021, 08:48:38 AM »
I finally have enough other mango trees bearing that it is worth a roll of the dice to get off season fruit. Hoping I can sync both Mahas to bear off season every year.

bsbullie

• View Profile
« Reply #78 on: January 20, 2021, 09:57:40 AM »
I finally have enough other mango trees bearing that it is worth a roll of the dice to get off season fruit. Hoping I can sync both Mahas to bear off season every year.

How did the off season compare to summer fruit?  I would think the cooler temps would have had a negative effect but less rain a benefit...
- Rob

TonyinCC

• Cape Coral,FL
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: January 20, 2021, 02:06:31 PM »
Last Summer Maha in my yard was exceptional. The off season fruit was about like an average Summertime Maha. I had some Maha in mid December too, just one fruit yesterday.(Pretty good but there are other better Summer mangos)

skhan

• United States, Florida, Coral Springs, 10b
    • View Profile
    • Videos of Garden
« Reply #80 on: January 20, 2021, 04:08:56 PM »

Good idea,
I might try this with a decent portion of my NDM.
They tend to get neglected when the season is going.

Do you just clip off the branch when there are little fruitlets on it?

TonyinCC

• Cape Coral,FL
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: January 21, 2021, 08:17:10 AM »
Yes you cut off the bloom panicles at that point but you might have to do it several times as it will attempt to re-bloom almost right away. Not sure if the the entire tree needs to be de-fruited or if it can be done branch by branch. Anyone have an idea? Might only be practical on trees kept small if the whole tree needs to be de-fruited. Even shifting the season by a couple weeks by de-fruiting once might solve a mango glut by spreading harvests out.
« Last Edit: January 22, 2021, 09:36:15 AM by TonyinCC »

bovine421

• Shake Rag Rd Fl 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: January 30, 2021, 02:02:56 PM »
I'm ready to put Mangostition aside and Crow from the rooftop. My orange sherbet is at 100% flowering. Last season was very disappointing. Could have been more of a maturity issue because we had plenty of cool nights. Most of my trees have flowered the only things of special note is Neelam seems unfazed by 60 days below 60 degrees. M4 and honey kiss starting to push flowers. Sweet tart has fully flowered on North shaded side just starting to push on Southern Sunnyside. If this is a trend I like it :) As I travel through Osceola County I would say the trees are at 50% bloom

Orange sherbet
Tete Nene Julie Juliet Carrie Ice Cream Coconut Cream Little Gem  Dot  Mallika PPK  OS  Pina Colada Cotton Candy Buxton Spice Karen Michelle M-4 Beverly Marc Anthony White Pirie Lychee Cherilata Plantain Barbados Cherry

bsbullie

• View Profile
« Reply #83 on: January 30, 2021, 02:22:16 PM »
I'm ready to put Mangostition aside and Crow from the rooftop. My orange sherbet is at 100% flowering. Last season was very disappointing. Could have been more of a maturity issue because we had plenty of cool nights. Most of my trees have flowered the only things of special note is Neelam seems unfazed by 60 days below 60 degrees. M4 and honey kiss starting to push flowers. Sweet tart has fully flowered on North shaded side just starting to push on Southern Sunnyside. If this is a trend I like it :) As I travel through Osceola County I would say the trees are at 50% bloom

Orange sherbet

I would let that tree sacrifice any fruits so it can mature another year.  Its a marathon,  not a sprint...
- Rob

bsbullie

• View Profile
« Reply #84 on: January 30, 2021, 02:26:19 PM »
My Ambika finally has swelling buds.  Crossing fingers.  Taralay has swelling buds, too.

Only trees that are not doing anything are Fairchild, Karen Michelle and M. siamensis but I am ok with that as these have only been in ground from 3 gal for 1-2 years.  Creme Brulee also not doing anything but its still in a 3 gal pot (will go in ground at any time).
« Last Edit: January 30, 2021, 03:35:44 PM by bsbullie »
- Rob

bovine421

• Shake Rag Rd Fl 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: January 30, 2021, 02:39:33 PM »

Orange sherbet

I would let that tree sacrifice any fruits so it can mature another year.  Its a marathon,  not a sprint...
I may just do that because it seems as though there should be plenty in South Florida to purchase. As long as I do not touch the Julie mango tree I will be fine but if I do I will get slapped with the broad side  of a Cutlass.  >:(  :o

Ps have not heard anyone mention lemon zest flowering would like to try one
I paid $50 for an orange sherbet last season and received a diamond instead :P
« Last Edit: January 30, 2021, 02:43:19 PM by bovine421 »
Tete Nene Julie Juliet Carrie Ice Cream Coconut Cream Little Gem  Dot  Mallika PPK  OS  Pina Colada Cotton Candy Buxton Spice Karen Michelle M-4 Beverly Marc Anthony White Pirie Lychee Cherilata Plantain Barbados Cherry

bsbullie

• View Profile
« Reply #86 on: January 30, 2021, 03:36:52 PM »
My LZ is doing absolutely nothing for the second straight year  (4 years in ground from a 3 gal).
- Rob

bovine421

• Shake Rag Rd Fl 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #87 on: January 30, 2021, 03:56:43 PM »
My LZ is doing absolutely nothing for the second straight year  (4 years in ground from a 3 gal).
That was my way of asking about your LZ tree without directly doing so in case it was a sore subject

Not trying to be silly cuz I'm pretty much serious at all times :)  What if you drink lime flavored cerveza beer and urinated on that LZ Tree during a full moon. Hey I'm sure crazier things have been tried and it would probably make you feel better.Lol

kapps

• Florida, Zone 10A
    • View Profile
« Reply #88 on: January 30, 2021, 06:07:52 PM »
This will hopefully be my first year with mangos. I have a seedling from a grocery store mango that’s been in the ground since 2017. In November 2019, I grafted Cogshall and Fruit Punch on it (and a couple others that didn’t take. Cogshall took off and is 95% of the tree while Fruit Punch grew 4” and then stopped.  Cogshall has all of its 10 or so growing tips going to bloom and Fruit Punch has its single growing tip in bloom. In 2020, I bought a 2nd tree - a grafted PPK which I put in the ground but not before taking a scion from it to graft onto my frankenmango. Call it mango insurance. The scion took, flushed a couple times, and looks like it’s heading to bloom now as well. The tree I took that scion came from has not done a thing since I planted it  :-\. I plan on keeping a few Cogshall’s on the tree but taking anything else off.  I’m already looking forward to 2022 season.

roblack

• Miami, FL 11A
    • View Profile
« Reply #89 on: January 31, 2021, 07:43:49 PM »
All in ground trees and most grafts are now pushing flowers. =)
« Last Edit: January 31, 2021, 07:53:06 PM by roblack »

mangokothiyan

• Coral Springs, Florida
    • View Profile
« Reply #90 on: January 31, 2021, 08:08:45 PM »

My Lemon Meringue, in the ground for more than 10- years, is doing nothing this year. Could be because I pruned it last year. It has otherwise been a consistent producer. I am glad Lemon Zest is kind of making up for it. Smaller tree, but covered with blooms.

bovine421

• Shake Rag Rd Fl 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #91 on: January 31, 2021, 08:29:47 PM »

My Lemon Meringue, in the ground for more than 10- years, is doing nothing this year. Could be because I pruned it last year. It has otherwise been a consistent producer. I am glad Lemon Zest is kind of making up for it. Smaller tree, but covered with blooms.
How many years in the ground was your lemon zest until it first flowered. In your opinion does it have to reach a certain level of maturity before it will produce?
Thank you in advance. :)

skhan

• United States, Florida, Coral Springs, 10b
    • View Profile
    • Videos of Garden
« Reply #92 on: February 01, 2021, 01:39:29 PM »

Ha, the only one that is not flowering for me is Lemon Zest.
Cookies OS clone is so I'm happy
...but would be happier if LZ was too

Squam256

• Mangos, trees and budwood for sale
    • USA, West Palm Beach, FL, 33405, Zone 10b
    • View Profile
    • https://www.facebook.com/TropicalAcresFarms
« Reply #93 on: February 01, 2021, 06:50:51 PM »
Most of our Lemon Meringue trees are flowering, but there are two conspicuous holdouts that have no excuse.

johnb51

• USA Deerfield Beach, FL Zone 11a
    • View Profile
« Reply #94 on: February 01, 2021, 09:08:27 PM »
Mango trees are really going crazy this year like I've never seen!  (Just driving down the street today and I spotted this one in Pompano Beach.)

« Last Edit: February 01, 2021, 09:12:06 PM by johnb51 »
John

Future

• The Future
    • View Profile
« Reply #95 on: February 02, 2021, 05:56:33 PM »
E4 - full bloom
Pina Colada - full bloom
OS (from Cookie) - full bloom
Peach Cobbler - partial bloom
Sweet Tart - partial bloom
Guava  - just starting full bloom
Yi Xaun - full bloom (potentially its last season, do or die)
Pineapple Pleasure - partial bloom
M4 - partial bloom
Spirit of 76 - full bloom
Juicy Peach  - partial bloom
Cotton Candy  - full bloom
Phoenix - partial bloom with more on the way
Amy - just starting to push blooms

Everything else is still on pause

That’s an all star team bloom. I’m rooting for YI Xuan to be kept...

roblack

• Miami, FL 11A
    • View Profile
« Reply #96 on: February 02, 2021, 06:41:23 PM »
Mango trees are really going crazy this year like I've never seen!  (Just driving down the street today and I spotted this one in Pompano Beach.)

...at least partially explains my sinus woes of late *sniffles*

EddieF

• s.e. florida
    • View Profile
« Reply #97 on: February 02, 2021, 07:37:47 PM »
I'm psl/martin.  Majority of trees i see driving around are blooming, some full, some barely.
I have 20yr old tree guessing Kent with 1 little area full bloomed, the rest buds, some buds are abnormal huge & sticky from sap.  Is Kent late bloomer?  This is first time i stuck to fertilizing, spraying, iron drenched, kelp drenched, sulfur & calcium, all over the past 6 months & watered.  Pruned during summer to keep from becoming monster ever again.  Looks very healthy.

bsbullie

• View Profile
« Reply #98 on: February 02, 2021, 09:10:34 PM »
E4 - full bloom
Pina Colada - full bloom
OS (from Cookie) - full bloom
Peach Cobbler - partial bloom
Sweet Tart - partial bloom
Guava  - just starting full bloom
Yi Xaun - full bloom (potentially its last season, do or die)
Pineapple Pleasure - partial bloom
M4 - partial bloom
Spirit of 76 - full bloom
Juicy Peach  - partial bloom
Cotton Candy  - full bloom
Phoenix - partial bloom with more on the way
Amy - just starting to push blooms

Everything else is still on pause

That’s an all star team bloom. I’m rooting for YI Xuan to be kept...

Reach out to me when you get in town (assuming you are coming this summer).
- Rob

mangokothiyan

• Coral Springs, Florida
    • View Profile
« Reply #99 on: February 02, 2021, 09:46:51 PM »

It took the tree four years from 3 gallon to flower and produce fruit last year. I got about 10 fruits.  This time it has flowered more.

How many years in the ground was your lemon zest until it first flowered. In your opinion does it have to reach a certain level of maturity before it will produce?
Thank you in advance. :)

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk