Author Topic: First Harumanis mango  (Read 13114 times)

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • USA, Big Island, East Hawaii, Zone 13a
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
First Harumanis mango
« on: August 14, 2012, 02:24:50 AM »
The Harumanis mango is rated as #1 quality mango in Malaysia/Borneo. A friend from there gave me a seed that i planted about 10 years ago. It never flowered or fruited until now. It is a polyembryonic seed. I wasn't sure which of 2 sprouts was the asexually reproduced one, so i planted 2 plants in one hole. The trunks gradually merged and now it looks like this:

One mango was on the ground and not edible, one was up on tree, i chanced it and picked it. It did soften up over a period of a couple days and turned a bit yellowish, but was not totally ripe. The fruit was still ok but hard to gauge how good it really is. It's totally fiberless and creamy textured.

Does anyone else have this cultivar? Anyone else eaten it?
Oscar

Adacaosky

• View Profile
Re: First Harumanis mango
« Reply #1 on: August 14, 2012, 03:57:04 AM »
Sorry to report that my single tree died of anthracnose! I read it was especially resistant but apparently not to the strain here on Guam. I read an indonesian guy's blog and he was raised on Harumanis. He reported that he considered it the best mango in the world up until he tried an Indian grown Alphonso....or something to that effect. I've read online reports which hint that it wasn't worth growing (poor flavor) unless antracnose resistance/tolerance was required.. That report was western based, though. Perhaps they were not accustomed to the taste as Indonesians/Malaysians are? I don't know....

Could you give us a detailed flavor profile of the fruit you tried please? I know it's not an accurate indicator (single fruit), but I am still weeping the loss of my single tree.
✌🏽

Picko Jack

• Malang, East Java - Indonesia
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 14, 2012, 10:12:33 AM »
Oscar, did they say where it origin when you get the seed? cause in fact Harum Manis is name of manggo cultivar that originally came from East Java - Indonesia. since im indonesian, its really...really....intresting for me to heard someone (especially western) give a review to this harum manis cultivar. i (and mostly indonesian) ate this type of manggo every year just simply because its the most popular manggo cultivar and other called "manalagi" for the second place. for indonesian there are two main type of manggo (eaten ripe) based on its taste : sweet-fiberles-creamy-less aroma and sweet/some sour-juicy-fibres-aromatic mango. and for the first type harum manis came for the best. but its best taste will came only if it picked at fully rippen and plant at specific area with specific climate and soil type. this cultivar came from east java region that sunny, lowland and dry weather, and the best harum manis that exported througout indonesia came from this region. singapore and sort of middle east country know this cultivar as green mango / big green mango - without mnetioning it specific cultivar. but afteral, there also another type (not cultivar) of manggo as i mention above that highly regarded for it aroma and some spicy flavor. well known and best for this type is "gedong gincu" and for somepeople it taste simmiliar to alphonso mango, in fact....its marketed to middle east under the name of "premium alphonso". marketing strategy i guess. but hey, just googling that name and maybe you will know how the name are not to bad afteral

Patrick

• Administrator
    • USA, Palm Beach, FL 33467, Zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 14, 2012, 01:52:37 PM »
The Harumanis mango is rated as #1 quality mango in Malaysia/Borneo. A friend from there gave me a seed that i planted about 10 years ago. It never flowered or fruited until now. It is a polyembryonic seed. I wasn't sure which of 2 sprouts was the asexually reproduced one, so i planted 2 plants in one hole. The trunks gradually merged and now it looks like this:

I love the look of that dual trunk!
« Last Edit: June 27, 2013, 09:10:49 PM by pj1881 (Patrick) »

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
« Reply #4 on: August 14, 2012, 05:21:05 PM »
Oscar, did they say where it origin when you get the seed? cause in fact Harum Manis is name of manggo cultivar that originally came from East Java - Indonesia. since im indonesian, its really...really....intresting for me to heard someone (especially western) give a review to this harum manis cultivar. i (and mostly indonesian) ate this type of manggo every year just simply because its the most popular manggo cultivar and other called "manalagi" for the second place. for indonesian there are two main type of manggo (eaten ripe) based on its taste : sweet-fiberles-creamy-less aroma and sweet/some sour-juicy-fibres-aromatic mango. and for the first type harum manis came for the best. but its best taste will came only if it picked at fully rippen and plant at specific area with specific climate and soil type. this cultivar came from east java region that sunny, lowland and dry weather, and the best harum manis that exported througout indonesia came from this region. singapore and sort of middle east country know this cultivar as green mango / big green mango - without mnetioning it specific cultivar. but afteral, there also another type (not cultivar) of manggo as i mention above that highly regarded for it aroma and some spicy flavor. well known and best for this type is "gedong gincu" and for somepeople it taste simmiliar to alphonso mango, in fact....its marketed to middle east under the name of "premium alphonso". marketing strategy i guess. but hey, just googling that name and maybe you will know how the name are not to bad afteral

Hello Picko Jack, this tree is from a seed that originated in Kuching, Sarawak, Malaysian Borneo. A friend there always raved about it, so i had to give it a try. Yes unfortunately the fruit did not fully ripen on tree, so cannot give a fair taste assesment. I can say that it was totally fiberless and creamy textured. So i feel it has some promise. Adacosky, the tree does not seem to have any anthracnose on it. The fruit had a few black anthracnose spots, but nothing out of ordinary. So yes it seems to be resistant. Only one side of the tree flowered, and only lightly this year. I'd kind of given up on it, so was pleasantly surprised. The tree is planted right along the coast, but the rainfall there is still high and evenly spread through the year.
Oscar

Jackfruitwhisperer69

• Zone 11b
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 14, 2012, 05:39:20 PM »
Hi Oscar,

Congrat's...better late than never 8) The fruit sure looks yummy ;D...next year, the fruit will ripen fully, then you will be able to assess the full flavor of the Harumanis ;)

The two trunks look very impressive! :o

THX for sharing :)
Time is like a river.
You cannot touch the same water twice, because the flow that has passed will never pass again.
Enjoy every moment of your life!

Picko Jack

• Malang, East Java - Indonesia
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 18, 2012, 11:29:00 PM »
in east java, mango seasos will start two month ahead. but i got one (and only) off season fruit of harum manis mango.
not the best tasting, but pretty good considering it just fell of the tree and ripening process doin in the referigator! (my wife accidentally store it along with vegetables!) and just to remind me the best is yet to come. the long dry season we had now in java indicates that it would be a good crop this year.

the size and skin appearence, getting browning as it referigated

flesh inside were not much affected

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
« Reply #7 on: September 18, 2012, 11:43:45 PM »
Picko Jack, thanks for posting the photos. Yes they look same as fruits from my tree. Now i need to give that tree some fertilizer and TLC (tender loving affection) to get it to really pump out some serious fruits next year!  ;D
Oscar

MangoFang

• Palm Springs, CA, Zone 9B
  • Palm Springs, CA
    • Riverside, Palm Springs/CA, 92264,9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 19, 2012, 12:19:09 AM »
Oscar - so that's what happens when you plant a multi-sprout poly seed in the same hole!

I've got a 4-sprout Pina Colada seed where the first and largest sprout died, so I guess I have these
zygote's (?) that I could plant....give's me some food for thought....might look cool - a four trunk merger
of mango madness....

But looks like you at least got one good one out of the deal....

fang

Tropicalgrower89

• Zone 11a, Florida
    • Pembroke Pines, FL, 33024, 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 19, 2012, 04:26:03 PM »
Oscar - so that's what happens when you plant a multi-sprout poly seed in the same hole!

I've got a 4-sprout Pina Colada seed where the first and largest sprout died, so I guess I have these
zygote's (?) that I could plant....give's me some food for thought....might look cool - a four trunk merger
of mango madness....

But looks like you at least got one good one out of the deal....

fang

Pina Colada is a poly-embryonic mango?  I thought it was mono-embryonic.
Alexi

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
« Reply #10 on: June 27, 2013, 05:28:30 AM »
The Harumanis mango tree surprised me by making a lot of fruit this year. Hopefully they will ripen ok and i can give a better taste report this time.

The Neelam is also fruiting nicely this year. Fruited well last year but a lot of the fruits had some sort of scab on them. This year...so far...they seem fine.
Oscar

emegar

• Zone 9b/10a, Rancho Cucamonga, CA
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 08, 2013, 01:18:20 PM »
Oscar,

Can you give an update on these mangoes?  I'd love to hear what your thoughts were on properly ripened fruit of this variety.
James

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
« Reply #12 on: November 08, 2013, 09:48:28 PM »
Oscar,

Can you give an update on these mangoes?  I'd love to hear what your thoughts were on properly ripened fruit of this variety.

I got a pretty good crop this year of the Harumanis mangos. They were nice large sized fruits with a bit of a beak. The taste is very good quality and totally fiberless. Sorry can't go into nuances of the taste as that was about 3 months ago that they ripened.
Oscar

thao

• WI zone 5b
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 09, 2013, 12:47:12 AM »
Does any other nursery beside this one http://tropicalbonsainursery.net/on%20sale%20item/mango1.html in SO Cal, sell/carry the variety Oscar has. Has anyone also tasted that other yellow mango(Gloek), in the first picture of the second row either?

marklee

• Chula Vista, California Zone 24 or 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 09, 2013, 02:12:51 AM »
I just picked up a seedling of the Harumis from someone here in San Diego, they say they got it from the Fruit and Spice Park. Is there a tree there?

gunnar429

• Nothing like fruit from your own yard!
    • West Park, FL 33023, Zone 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: December 17, 2015, 10:21:38 AM »
I just picked up a seedling of the Harumis from someone here in San Diego, they say they got it from the Fruit and Spice Park. Is there a tree there?

Indeed, there is a Harumanis tree at Fruit & Spice Park.
~Jeff

"Say you just can't live that negative way, if you know what I mean. Make way for the positive day." - Positive Vibration

Jsvand5

• Ocala FL
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: December 17, 2015, 10:32:39 AM »
Oscar,

I got a pretty good crop this year of the Harumanis mangos. They were nice large sized fruits with a bit of a beak. The taste is very good quality and totally fiberless. Sorry can't go into nuances of the taste as that was about 3 months ago that they ripened.

Any fruit from the other side of the tree?

Tropicdude

• Broward County, Florida, USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: December 17, 2015, 06:30:04 PM »
Supposedly a couple of these planted at an abandoned variety bank,  if the tree is still standing , it will be over 50 years old now.

Will have to wait till next year to see if I can ID which tree it is, none are labeled.  I want to try this one. 

Harum Manis was distributed to many Latin American countries back in the late 60s early 70s. for evaluation, since no country actually chose this one for commercial purposes, and has not become popular by back yard growers,   most likely for the fact its doesn't get much if any color when ripe.   I still think it holds potential, for wetter regions.
« Last Edit: December 17, 2015, 06:35:16 PM by Tropicdude »
William
" The best time to plant a tree is 20 years ago.....The second best time, is now ! "

planetrj

• Living the Sustainable Life
    • US, Hawaii, Big Island Windward Z11a
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: October 11, 2019, 07:22:00 PM »
Aloha Oscar J,
I would love to know if you have been successful with this seedling? It looks like it's been 7 years since beginning this fruiting cycle. How are they producing now, and are they anthracnose resistant as it's parent?
Aloha!

One mango was on the ground and not edible, one was up on tree, i chanced it and picked it. It did soften up over a period of a couple days and turned a bit yellowish, but was not totally ripe. The fruit was still ok but hard to gauge how good it really is. It's totally fiberless and creamy textured.

Does anyone else have this cultivar? Anyone else eaten it?

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
« Reply #19 on: October 11, 2019, 08:13:22 PM »
It fruits, but is not consistent bearing. This year did not fruit. The fruits i would say here are of medium antrharcnose resistance.
Oscar

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk