Tropical Fruit > Tropical Fruit Discussion

Mango flavor . . .

(1/5) > >>

Epicatt2:
Is there such a thing as a basic, decent mango 'mango flavor' that is mango alone?  Maybe that could be better termed as a true, simple mango flavor.

I see all sorts of descriptive variations on the flavors of mangoes, including cultivar names which suggest a particular flavor variation: Lemon Zest, Orange Sherbet, Cotton Candy, et al.

Also I am reading on here that fertilizing (or not) and the weather can alter the flavor of some cultivars fron year to year.

So anyway, if there is a true simple basic mango flavor then which cultivars best represent that basic mango flavor?

I ask because I have not found this as the dedicated topic of discussion in any thread here.

Curious minds and all that . . . .

Paul M.
==

bovine421:

--- Quote from: Epicatt2 on June 16, 2021, 02:04:09 AM ---Is there such a thing as a basic, decent mango 'mango flavor' that is mango alone?  Maybe that could be better termed as a true, simple mango flavor.

I see all sorts of descriptive variations on the flavors of mangoes, including cultivar names which suggest a particular flavor variation: Lemon Zest, Orange Sherbet, Cotton Candy, et al.

Also I am reading on here that fertilizing (or not) and the weather can alter the flavor of some cultivars fron year to year.

So anyway, if there is a true simple basic mango flavor then which cultivars best represent that basic mango flavor?

I ask because I have not found this as the dedicated topic of discussion in any thread here.

Paul M.
==

--- End quote ---

This may be a good place to start the conversation
I would say these are similar to the original ones the British brought from India
https://sweetstlucia.com/2016/06/29/st-lucias-mangoes-are-sweet-luscious-and-juicy/

https://jamaicans.com/jamaicanmangonames/

Jaboticaba45:

--- Quote from: Epicatt2 on June 16, 2021, 02:04:09 AM ---Is there such a thing as a basic, decent mango 'mango flavor' that is mango alone?  Maybe that could be better termed as a true, simple mango flavor.

Paul M.
==

--- End quote ---
I would say that kent would be basic mango flavor. Nothing exciting, just pure mango. Someone told me that glenn is also a classic mango flavor although I have never tried it. 

bovine421:

--- Quote from: Jaboticaba45 on June 16, 2021, 09:45:33 AM ---

Paul M.
==

--- End quote ---
I would say that kent would be basic mango flavor. Nothing exciting, just pure mango. Someone told me that glenn is also a classic mango flavor although I have never tried it.

--- End quote ---
Basic commercial flavor
What are the concerns of the commercial grower product and shipping the flavor comes last. As my wife would say it is just there. For the most part most all of Gary Zills mangoes are seedling of Julie pollinated by Gary and others. What Indian mango did Julie descend from? Mangoes have been around for 3000 years. So are we talkin classic old world mango classic commercial mango classic backyard mango  I don't know it's a subject for debate.

bsbullie:
There are numerous varieties with basic mango flavor:

Edward, Keitt, Harvest Moon, Zill, Glenn, Haden, Cogshall, Beverly, Van Dyke, Southern Blush, Rosigold

The above is just a sampling.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version