Tropical Fruit > Tropical Fruit Discussion

Mangifera siamensis aka Siamese mango

(1/1)

bsbullie:
Anyone growing and fruited this?  Mine is fruiting for the first time and was looking for info on maturity and season.  Thx.

elouicious:
Hey Rob,

not sure if you have access to Journals but here is what I was able to find, no information on fruiting or season in this paper

The Calophyllaceae plant Mammea siamensis(Miq.) T. Anders. is a small evergreen tree distributed in Thailand (locally called “Sarapi” or “Saraphi”), Laos, Cambodia, Vietnam, and Myanmar. The flowers of this plant have traditionally been used as a heart tonic, fever-lowering, and enhancement of appetite in Thailand (Morikawa et al., 2012; Tung et al., 2013; Ninomiya et al., 2016; Sangkaruket al., 2017). Previous chemical studies on the flowers (Kaweetripob et al., 2000; Prachyawarakornet al., 2000, 2006a; Mahidol et al., 2002; Morikawa et al., 2012; Ninomiya et al., 2016), seeds (Laphookhieo et al., 2006, 2007), twigs (Poobrasert et al., 1998; Prachyawarakorn et al., 2006a,b), and bark (Ngo et al., 2010) of M.  siamensis reported on the isolation of several coumarins and xanthones, etc. With regard to the biological studies on M. siamensisand its constituents, cytotoxicity, antiproliferative, and apoptotic effects against several tumor and cancer cell lines(Ngo et al., 2010; Tung et al., 2013; Noysang et al., 2014; Uto etal., 2016; Sangkaruk et al., 2017),suppressive effects on inducible nitric oxide synthase expression in RAW264.7 cells (Morikawaet al., 2012), and aromatase inhibitory activity (Ninomiya et al., 2016; Tanabe et al., 2017) have been reported. Further separation of the constituents in the extract resulted in the isolation of three geranylated coumarins, kayeassamin I (1) and mammeasins E (2) and F (3).

Sounds like a plant used mostly for its medicinal applications, I would stay away from consuming the seeds or flowers as they may interact with other commonly prescribed medications-

skhan:

--- Quote from: bsbullie on June 17, 2021, 12:44:52 AM ---Anyone growing and fruited this?  Mine is fruiting for the first time and was looking for info on maturity and season.  Thx.

--- End quote ---

Rob,

I have a branch grafted to my tree but no flowers this year.
I think Tntrobbie fruited it though.

bsbullie:

--- Quote from: elouicious on June 18, 2021, 10:12:46 AM ---Hey Rob,

not sure if you have access to Journals but here is what I was able to find, no information on fruiting or season in this paper

The Calophyllaceae plant Mammea siamensis(Miq.) T. Anders. is a small evergreen tree distributed in Thailand (locally called “Sarapi” or “Saraphi”), Laos, Cambodia, Vietnam, and Myanmar. The flowers of this plant have traditionally been used as a heart tonic, fever-lowering, and enhancement of appetite in Thailand (Morikawa et al., 2012; Tung et al., 2013; Ninomiya et al., 2016; Sangkaruket al., 2017). Previous chemical studies on the flowers (Kaweetripob et al., 2000; Prachyawarakornet al., 2000, 2006a; Mahidol et al., 2002; Morikawa et al., 2012; Ninomiya et al., 2016), seeds (Laphookhieo et al., 2006, 2007), twigs (Poobrasert et al., 1998; Prachyawarakorn et al., 2006a,b), and bark (Ngo et al., 2010) of M.  siamensis reported on the isolation of several coumarins and xanthones, etc. With regard to the biological studies on M. siamensisand its constituents, cytotoxicity, antiproliferative, and apoptotic effects against several tumor and cancer cell lines(Ngo et al., 2010; Tung et al., 2013; Noysang et al., 2014; Uto etal., 2016; Sangkaruk et al., 2017),suppressive effects on inducible nitric oxide synthase expression in RAW264.7 cells (Morikawaet al., 2012), and aromatase inhibitory activity (Ninomiya et al., 2016; Tanabe et al., 2017) have been reported. Further separation of the constituents in the extract resulted in the isolation of three geranylated coumarins, kayeassamin I (1) and mammeasins E (2) and F (3).

Sounds like a plant used mostly for its medicinal applications, I would stay away from consuming the seeds or flowers as they may interact with other commonly prescribed medications-

--- End quote ---

Sorry, should have been more clear.  I am referring to Mangifera siamensis.

roblack:
Heard it tastes good. Will try and get more info tomorrow...

Navigation

[0] Message Index

Go to full version