Author Topic: Verna Orange  (Read 1267 times)

850FL

• zone 8b/9a
    • View Profile
Verna Orange
« on: March 27, 2021, 05:29:59 PM »
First time coming across this variety. Spanish type orange. Some sources say it’s of lesser quality than valencia.. I don’t know what that means? I enjoy tart citrus. Or sweet-tart. I’m not very fond of mostly sweet citrus, like navels and gold nugget mandarins..
Anyone tried this variety?

W.

• United States, Alabama, 7b
    • View Profile
Re: Verna Orange
« Reply #1 on: March 27, 2021, 06:25:52 PM »
From the 2000 second edition of James Saunt's Citrus Varieties of the World: An Illustrated Guide, still my go to guide for citrus variety reference:

"The Berna (or Verna) is a late maturing Spanish variety of unknown origin, roundish-oval to oval in shape, and small to medium in size. The rind has a pebbly texture and is of good orange colour but will regreen if left on the tree too long, i.e. after May. The rind is fairly thick and the juice content only moderate, but most fruits are seedless. The flavour, although moderately sweet, lacks richness. Because its quality and size cannot match those of other late varieties, such as Navelate and Lane Late and it will not hang nearly so long on the tree as Valencia, its importance is waning fast and it is rarely planted now, although there are still and estimated 1,000 ha in production in Spain."

My guess, based on the description, is that it would not be one you enjoy. His description of the flavor lacking richness makes me think it must be a bit on the bland side.
« Last Edit: March 27, 2021, 10:49:27 PM by W. »

850FL

• zone 8b/9a
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 27, 2021, 10:39:30 PM »
Darn, guess I’ll spend the 40 on something better!

W.

• United States, Alabama, 7b
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 27, 2021, 11:25:31 PM »
I am not sure how such an apparently sub-par orange managed to capture a substantial market share. It must be a heavy, regular producer, which growers love. Its seedlessness must appeal to consumers more interested in convenience than flavor. My opinion, backed up by years of eating citrus, is that no seeds = no flavor. I would rather have a seedy, flavorful citrus (Dancy tangerine, Duncan grapefruit, pomelos, etc.) than a seedless, bland citrus (the various supermarket types of mandarins and red grapefruits, naval oranges, etc.). But I am apparently in the minority, which is why I have chosen to grow what I want.

sc4001992

• USA, CA, Fullerton
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 28, 2021, 04:41:16 AM »
I love to eat all kinds of citrus, some with sweet/tart is also good. Don't care for the no acid like the Vangilia Sanguigno acidless sweet orange. I have many citrus fruiting on my trees and every time I did my own taste test in 2020-2021 the best tasting for me was the Lane Late orange. It even beat out my oroblanco, melogold, cocktail, valentine, and mandarins (Honey, Murcott, Shasta, Tango, Gold Nugget, Kiyomi). I grow about 10 different oranges and Lane Late seems to always beat out the others. Its seedless, but very good flavor, easy peel, grows large, plenty of production yearly. Previous year I got about 35 on one grafted branch, here's a photo of it.

Lovetoplant

• Oxnard,ca
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 28, 2021, 07:51:34 PM »
Sc4001992-- I love eating all oranges and tangerines.  But for the past couple of years, my teeth became sensitive to acid from those citrus.  Sensodyn toothpaste does not seem to help much.

You always mention that you love eating them.   Have you experienced this sensitive teeth.

Galatians522

• Florida 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 28, 2021, 09:59:43 PM »
Are we talking about Berna (which I had never heard of before) or Vernia? Vernia is far more common in my experience and is commonly planted in the local citrus groves as a mid season cultivar. It is so similar to Valencia in quality that it gets the Valencia price at the juice plant (unless its mixed with Hamlins and then you only get the Hamlin price). The article below mentions both.

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&source=web&rct=j&url=https://citrusindustry.net/2020/01/16/orange-opportunities/&ved=2ahUKEwizlo7DsdTvAhUtqlkKHYV_DRkQFjAOegQIEBAC&usg=AOvVaw3tnyMwgHgjj1w4wcafObUc

sc4001992

• USA, CA, Fullerton
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 28, 2021, 11:41:48 PM »
Lovetoplant, so far I have not had any problems with the citrus causing me to have sensitive teeth.

850FL

• zone 8b/9a
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 29, 2021, 12:55:34 AM »
Are we talking about Berna (which I had never heard of before) or Vernia? Vernia is far more common in my experience and is commonly planted in the local citrus groves as a mid season cultivar. It is so similar to Valencia in quality that it gets the Valencia price at the juice plant (unless its mixed with Hamlins and then you only get the Hamlin price). The article below mentions both.

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&source=web&rct=j&url=https://citrusindustry.net/2020/01/16/orange-opportunities/&ved=2ahUKEwizlo7DsdTvAhUtqlkKHYV_DRkQFjAOegQIEBAC&usg=AOvVaw3tnyMwgHgjj1w4wcafObUc

Great info Galatians! It actually IS a Vernia! I couldn’t find any particular info about Vernia when I was deciding whether to buy it, and thought it was just a misspelled Verna, which didn’t seem to be of much quality other than seedless aspect. But since now you enlightened me and Vernia being similar to valencia and having alright greening resistance (down the road it might reach us here)  I actually will probably end up buying this one! Many thanks brother

Galatians522

• Florida 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 29, 2021, 09:35:58 PM »
I'm glad the information was helpful. If my memory serves me right, Vernia was introduced by Coca-Cola at a private research facility near Indian Town. Coke lost interest in the research, but Vernia was re-discovered at their old facility by University of Florida staff and became a very popular variety in the citrus industry. I am amazed that there is not more out there on it.

850FL

• zone 8b/9a
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 29, 2021, 09:55:43 PM »
I'm glad the information was helpful. If my memory serves me right, Vernia was introduced by Coca-Cola at a private research facility near Indian Town. Coke lost interest in the research, but Vernia was re-discovered at their old facility by University of Florida staff and became a very popular variety in the citrus industry. I am amazed that there is not more out there on it.
What were they trying to do, use it in orange soda or Fanta or whatever? (I quit sodas years ago I don’t even know their names hardly)

Galatians522

• Florida 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 29, 2021, 10:42:26 PM »
They actually had a lot of groves and owned one of the two main juice plants. I think it was Minute Maid. Pepsi actually owns the other major juice plant/brand (Tropicana).

850FL

• zone 8b/9a
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 30, 2021, 10:54:15 AM »
I love to eat all kinds of citrus, some with sweet/tart is also good. Don't care for the no acid like the Vangilia Sanguigno acidless sweet orange. I have many citrus fruiting on my trees and every time I did my own taste test in 2020-2021 the best tasting for me was the Lane Late orange. It even beat out my oroblanco, melogold, cocktail, valentine, and mandarins (Honey, Murcott, Shasta, Tango, Gold Nugget, Kiyomi). I grow about 10 different oranges and Lane Late seems to always beat out the others. Its seedless, but very good flavor, easy peel, grows large, plenty of production yearly. Previous year I got about 35 on one grafted branch, here's a photo of it.

Wow that Lane is quite productive! Ill be sure to pick one up if I ever see them around here. Would it compare to an early season (green) valencia or minneola?
The only ones I've tried on that list are honey murcott and gold nugget. Murcott was seedy but I did like the tartness (I may have been eating them a bit green and tart but I like them that way, same with satsumas..). I remember gold nugget had a good distinct flavor profile, but way too sweet.. not enough acid. Almost annoying.. I did try that one from the grocery store though, so maybe it wasn't all that fresh.
I may have seen an oroblanco around here before, but ignored it because I'm not big on grapefruits. Although I do grow a few just for the heck of it.
Got a couple Tango fruit on my new sapling, will try those when they ripen. Never tried Shasta, melogold, cocktail or valentine. Although definitely heard good reports on the Valentine. Y'all in Cali seem to have a greater selection of citrus than us in the sunshine state! At least for dooryard growers

850FL

• zone 8b/9a
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 30, 2021, 10:58:07 AM »
I am not sure how such an apparently sub-par orange managed to capture a substantial market share. It must be a heavy, regular producer, which growers love. Its seedlessness must appeal to consumers more interested in convenience than flavor. My opinion, backed up by years of eating citrus, is that no seeds = no flavor. I would rather have a seedy, flavorful citrus (Dancy tangerine, Duncan grapefruit, pomelos, etc.) than a seedless, bland citrus (the various supermarket types of mandarins and red grapefruits, naval oranges, etc.). But I am apparently in the minority, which is why I have chosen to grow what I want.

Totally. Must be more of those traits that seem to be inherited in sets.

sc4001992

• USA, CA, Fullerton
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 30, 2021, 06:06:28 PM »
« Last Edit: April 02, 2021, 01:42:10 AM by sc4001992 »

Galatians522

• Florida 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: March 30, 2021, 07:01:05 PM »
I have had California Mineolas and was not impressed. Florida grown Mineolas are not only one of my favorite citrus, but one of my favorite fruits period. High acid fruits are better grown in Florida and low acid fruits are better from California. California Navels are better than the ones from Florida.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk