Author Topic: Clausena lansium, also known as a wampee  (Read 18883 times)

edself65

• Judge a tree by its fruit, not by its leaves
    • Round Rock, Texas
    • View Profile
    • Texas Rare Fruit Growers
Clausena lansium, also known as a wampee
« on: May 09, 2012, 06:23:26 PM »
Went on a Central Florida field trip today with another Central Fl gardener Adam. We got to try some Wampee fruit. It wasn't at its peak yet. In the photos you will see the fruit green, then yellow and finally brown. I have found that they are best when they are fully brown starting to get a slight pink glow to them. Once they are at peak ripeness they will have a nice lychee-grapefruit flavor. Today since they were mostly under ripe they had more of a grapefruit flavor. I think it is a plant that deserves a place in most back yard collections.

Thanks,

Ed

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • USA, Big Island, East Hawaii, Zone 13a
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
Re: Clausena lansium, also known as a wampee
« Reply #1 on: May 09, 2012, 06:49:39 PM »
Thanks for all the photos. I agree it's a very nice fruit. Really deserves more attention, especially from breeders to select improved varieties. Wampee is also a very nice tree. Only down side here is that it is susceptible corky bark disease. Doesn't kill it but probably reduces production.
Oscar

FlyingFoxFruits

• Prince of Plinia
  • www.FlyingFoxFruits.com
    • USA, FEMA Region IV, FL Zone 9a
    • View Profile
    • Flying Fox Fruits
« Reply #2 on: May 09, 2012, 07:05:29 PM »
wasn't it mentioned in fairchilds book, this is one of the finest fruits of Siam?

i was eating them slightly under ripe today, and they had a unique flavor, I thought tasted like lychee grapefruit exactly. 

the tree is tough as nails!  it seems to be the last man standing after cold events and neglectful owners.

it must be quite Medicinal.  I'm sure julia Morton would blow this post up!

the hunt is on for the best wampee!  I think it has huge potential as a container crop (airlayered or grafted on dwarf rootstock)

we still need to sample some fruits around town Ed!  I know of a few more trees
www.FlyingFoxFruits.com

www.PLINIAS.com

https://www.ebay.com/usr/flyingfoxfruits

www.youtube.com/FlyingFoxFruits

https://www.instagram.com/flyingfoxfruits/
I disabled the forum's personal messaging system, please send an email to contact me, FlyingFoxFruits@gmail.com

edself65

• Round Rock, Texas
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 09, 2012, 07:26:50 PM »
Thanks Oscar!

Yeah I Adam I agree we need to sample some more! We only want to graft the best ones!

Ed

edself65

• Round Rock, Texas
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 09, 2012, 09:27:30 PM »
I hear that someone in South Florida as a seedless Wampee. Any of you South Florida growers ever tried it or seen the tree?

Thanks,

Ed

bsbullie

• USA, Boynton Beach, FL 33472, Zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 09, 2012, 09:30:50 PM »
I had some wampee a couple of weeks ago at Excalibur that had a definite tart orange flavor...different cultivars ?
- Rob

edself65

• Round Rock, Texas
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 09, 2012, 09:34:44 PM »
These are seedlings not sure if the one you tried was a seedling or selected variety. I'm sure some are way better than others because I have heard that some are really tart. I am only interested in propagating sweet ones. So I would be curious if Excalibur has a seedling or grafted one and if grafted do they sell grafted ones?

Also the ones we ate today were under ripe so they were a little on the tart side. When they were fully ripe last year I don't recall them being tart.
Thanks,

Ed
« Last Edit: May 09, 2012, 09:36:34 PM by edself65 »

bsbullie

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 09, 2012, 09:37:15 PM »
These are seedlings not sure if the one you tried was a seedling or selected variety. I'm sure some are way better than others because I have heard that some are really tart. I am only interested in propagating sweet ones. So I would be curious if Excalibur has a seedling or grafted one and if grafted do they sell grafted ones?

Thanks,

Ed
I believe it is grafted.  I know they don't propagate it (the citrus thing) but I will check if they have any grafted trees for sale.
- Rob

edself65

• Round Rock, Texas
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 09, 2012, 09:38:42 PM »
Ok Thanks! Let me know!

Ed

Thanks,

Ed
I believe it is grafted.  I know they don't propagate it (the citrus thing) but I will check if they have any grafted trees for sale.

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
« Reply #9 on: May 09, 2012, 09:47:13 PM »
I hear that someone in South Florida as a seedless Wampee. Any of you South Florida growers ever tried it or seen the tree?

Thanks,

Ed

I've seen seedless wampee here.
Oscar

edself65

• Round Rock, Texas
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 09, 2012, 09:59:06 PM »
I wonder how the flavor compares with the seeded versus seedless?

Ed

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
« Reply #11 on: May 09, 2012, 10:08:03 PM »
I wonder how the flavor compares with the seeded versus seedless?

Ed

As i recall (faint memory) the taste of seedless was just as good as the seeded.
Oscar

FlyingFoxFruits

• Prince of Plinia
    • View Profile
    • Flying Fox Fruits
« Reply #12 on: May 09, 2012, 10:10:06 PM »
I ate some wampee that were left over from today, and they had a much better taste.

I recall Whitman saying this had to be dead ripe...some other fruits are like this..like maprang.

If u eat your first wampee too early or too late, you'll not want t try another.  If you eat one and even moderately enjoy it,  you'll want another and soon...you are going to be a wampee addict.

They have a unique aroma, that is reminiscent of the smell of the leaves being crushed, but only by 1/100th of the pungency or potency.

The aroma fades as soon as you can sense it, and you are left with a deliciously sweet lychee, grape taste, with some grapefruit hints.

Its one of the easiest and best tasting fruits we can grown in FL.

« Last Edit: May 09, 2012, 10:11:52 PM by ASaffron »
www.FlyingFoxFruits.com

www.PLINIAS.com

I disabled the forum's personal messaging system, please send an email to contact me, FlyingFoxFruits@gmail.com

Central Floridave

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 09, 2012, 10:17:37 PM »
Thanks for the photos and info.  I have a tree that is around 6 feet tall and not even as healthy looking as the photos. It also has never flowered.

Pine Island Nursery is selling a 'chicken tongue' wampee and Eric was raving about it at the Brevard Rare fruit sale last month.   I don't have any more info than that.

My wampee has grown while being severly neglected...Hey, maybe that is why it has never flourished or flowered!  I planted it around ten years ago.  Since I've planted a couple tangerines nearby so maybe it can suck some nutrients from them as I fertilize.   

bsbullie

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 09, 2012, 10:22:01 PM »
I ate some wampee that were left over from today, and they had a much better taste.

I recall Whitman saying this had to be dead ripe...some other fruits are like this..like maprang.

If u eat your first wampee too early or too late, you'll not want t try another.  If you eat one and even moderately enjoy it,  you'll want another and soon...you are going to be a wampee addict.

They have a unique aroma, that is reminiscent of the smell of the leaves being crushed, but only by 1/100th of the pungency or potency.

The aroma fades as soon as you can sense it, and you are left with a deliciously sweet lychee, grape taste, with some grapefruit hints.

Its one of the easiest and best tasting fruits we can grown in FL.
so I was eating them at the yellow stage (color-wise).  Should they stay on the tree till they darken in color or will they improve off the tree if picked yellow ?
- Rob

edself65

• Round Rock, Texas
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: May 09, 2012, 10:30:31 PM »
I found them to be tart at the yellow stage. I prefer them after they turn brown, have a slight pink glow and slightly soft at harvest. I have never kept any around after harvest to see if they improve. Different people may prefer different levels of tartness. This may explain the difference in opinions on the taste of this fruit based on harvesting at different stages.

Thanks,

Ed
« Last Edit: May 09, 2012, 10:32:43 PM by edself65 »

FlyingFoxFruits

• Prince of Plinia
    • View Profile
    • Flying Fox Fruits
« Reply #16 on: May 09, 2012, 11:37:45 PM »
bsbullii

this one is like the Jabo, u and me' eat them too early.

wait until these are good and ripe.  it may take eating a good 5 or more to figure out the perfect stage of ripeness
www.FlyingFoxFruits.com

www.PLINIAS.com

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
« Reply #17 on: May 10, 2012, 01:30:55 AM »
bsbullii

this one is like the Jabo, u and me' eat them too early.

wait until these are good and ripe.  it may take eating a good 5 or more to figure out the perfect stage of ripeness

Some wampis are plain tart no matter what stage they're at. Some wampi trees are just junk, others quite heavenly. Fruitlover's commandment: Go forth and multipy those heavenly ones! ;)
Oscar

edself65

• Round Rock, Texas
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 10, 2012, 06:22:38 AM »
Central Floridave did you get one of the chicken tongue wampee? You should try applying an organic mulch to your Wampee to encourage some growth and flowers.

Thanks,

Ed

Thanks for the photos and info.  I have a tree that is around 6 feet tall and not even as healthy looking as the photos. It also has never flowered.

Pine Island Nursery is selling a 'chicken tongue' wampee and Eric was raving about it at the Brevard Rare fruit sale last month.   I don't have any more info than that.

My wampee has grown while being severly neglected...Hey, maybe that is why it has never flourished or flowered!  I planted it around ten years ago.  Since I've planted a couple tangerines nearby so maybe it can suck some nutrients from them as I fertilize.

Mike T

• Zone 12a
  • Cairns,Nth Qld, Australia
    • Zone 12a
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 10, 2012, 08:55:11 AM »
Wampees are reasonably popular in some parts of eastern australia.Guy Sam and Yeem Pay are the 2 most popular cultivars and they are pretty good.I am yet to see any with chicken tongues.

NewGen

• Zone 10a, Central Valley, CA, USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: May 10, 2012, 12:18:51 PM »
How hardy is this tree? Thanks,

edself65

• Round Rock, Texas
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: May 10, 2012, 12:30:15 PM »
Very hardy here in the Central Florida area! I have never seen or heard of very little damage in the low 20's F.

Ed
« Last Edit: May 10, 2012, 01:05:54 PM by edself65 »

Ethan

• Central California Z9/9
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: May 10, 2012, 01:15:25 PM »
This is a citrus relative so PLEASE CA residents, dont order it in from Plantogram or other FL. sources, YOU could be responsible for destroying CA citrus industry!  There are already clean wampee in CA, one source is Mimosa LA, they have trees that have past inspection.  That being said, these are beautiful trees that seem to do well in CA, hopefully before to long I can tell you about the fruit.

-Ethan

edself65

• Round Rock, Texas
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: May 10, 2012, 01:18:15 PM »
Ethan I would hope a good nursey would know the rules and wouldn't ship the plant to CA or vice versa.

Ed

bsbullie

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: May 10, 2012, 01:46:32 PM »
This is a citrus relative so PLEASE CA residents, dont order it in from Plantogram or other FL. sources, YOU could be responsible for destroying CA citrus industry!  There are already clean wampee in CA, one source is Mimosa LA, they have trees that have past inspection.  That being said, these are beautiful trees that seem to do well in CA, hopefully before to long I can tell you about the fruit.

-Ethan
And vice versa with shipping plants or scions/bud wood into Florida.  Same applies to the Curry Leaf.
- Rob

Ethan

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: May 10, 2012, 02:33:34 PM »
Ethan I would hope a good nursey would know the rules and wouldn't ship the plant to CA or vice versa.

Ed

I sure hope so Ed and I am in NO WAY slighting Plantogram or Mickey and have no clue whether POG would send such plants.  I know many CA residents have used his services in the past and received beautiful plants which is the only reason POG was mentioned.  I just wanted to let people know clean wampee is already in CA, no need to import.  There is another (less reputable) mail order nursery that has on their order page, will not ship to CA, AZ or TX for specific plants including as Rob points out Muraya Koenigii (curry leaf), lansium, wampee, etc.  Surprisingly casimiroa is not on the list?  Maybe it is not susceptible to HLB?  The topic of casimiroa was even brought up at a Citrus Research station and they said it was OK or did not know about it  (for now?).

Now to wait for my tree to grow, grow, grow!
-Ethan

FlyingFoxFruits

• Prince of Plinia
    • View Profile
    • Flying Fox Fruits
« Reply #26 on: May 10, 2012, 06:56:29 PM »
u saying plantogram is shipping sickly plants to CA? or they are bending the rules?

-Ethan
www.FlyingFoxFruits.com

www.PLINIAS.com

FlyingFoxFruits

• Prince of Plinia
    • View Profile
    • Flying Fox Fruits
« Reply #27 on: May 10, 2012, 07:01:06 PM »
insee what u are saying Ethan,

no needs to take a risk with disease, even if plantogram has nice plants, u seem to have them available locally...local is best.
www.FlyingFoxFruits.com

www.PLINIAS.com

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
« Reply #28 on: May 10, 2012, 07:09:49 PM »

And vice versa with shipping plants or scions/bud wood into Florida.  Same applies to the Curry Leaf.

Mock orange, or orange jessamine, Murraya paniculata, is another citrus relative that should not be shipped out of quarantined areas. I think hobbyists sending scion wood or plants, or carrying them across state lines is a very big danger for carrying the bacteria of citrus greening. It was mentioned in one video that mock orange hedges is even a more preferred host of citrus greening than edible citrus.
Oscar

jason (palo alto)

• Sunset zone 17, USDA 10b Pacific Grove
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: May 11, 2012, 12:28:08 PM »
Funny this topic came up. Was taking a walk on the Stanford college campus last night and spotted a citrus relative plant by the mausoleum. Upon closer examination of a fading attached aluminum it was a wampi, thriving here since 2008 in an obscure location.
Really nice that wampi thrives here in Northern california. When I finished my walk it was too dark to go back to the tree for scions, but I may have to make another visit to the tree  8)
Commercially I don't think Wampi is available in California, and if it is in southern california I wouldn't want anyone bringing it to northern california.
There is a Wampi collector a few miles from my place whose number I got ages ago but never called, may have to give him a call and see if I can get a plant.

FlyingFoxFruits

• Prince of Plinia
    • View Profile
    • Flying Fox Fruits
« Reply #30 on: May 11, 2012, 12:42:42 PM »
This tree is a nightmare for large scale commercial production

The fruits ripen unevenly at different times,
and it must be dead ripe!

www.FlyingFoxFruits.com

www.PLINIAS.com

BENDERSGROVE

• BENDER'S TROPICAL GROVE
    • USA, Davie, FL 33331, Zone 10b
    • View Profile
    • BENDERSGROVE
« Reply #31 on: May 11, 2012, 12:51:23 PM »
I picked up a couple of wampi today from pine island called  "chickeheart" I have a couple available in 3 gallon size if anyone is interested,they are supposed to have an egg shaped fruit larger than the normal Wampi,and they are grafted, Thanks Mike

emegar

• Zone 9b/10a, Rancho Cucamonga, CA
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: May 11, 2012, 01:15:33 PM »
Ethan,

Do you know if the wampi from Mimosa are grafted?  This is a tree I've thought about getting, but based on others' descriptions, I would want to make sure I was getting a sweet fruited variety.
James

Ethan

• View Profile
« Reply #33 on: May 11, 2012, 03:14:56 PM »
Might be airlayered??  Nice sized for $40??

-Ethan

bsbullie

• View Profile
« Reply #34 on: May 11, 2012, 03:46:59 PM »
I picked up a couple of wampi today from pine island called  "chickeheart" I have a couple available in 3 gallon size if anyone is interested,they are supposed to have an egg shaped fruit larger than the normal Wampi,and they are grafted, Thanks Mike
According to Morton, "chicken heart" is supposed to be one of the sweetest.
- Rob

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
« Reply #35 on: May 12, 2012, 03:32:59 AM »
Funny this topic came up. Was taking a walk on the Stanford college campus last night and spotted a citrus relative plant by the mausoleum. Upon closer examination of a fading attached aluminum it was a wampi, thriving here since 2008 in an obscure location.
Really nice that wampi thrives here in Northern california. When I finished my walk it was too dark to go back to the tree for scions, but I may have to make another visit to the tree  8)
Commercially I don't think Wampi is available in California, and if it is in southern california I wouldn't want anyone bringing it to northern california.
There is a Wampi collector a few miles from my place whose number I got ages ago but never called, may have to give him a call and see if I can get a plant.

I think there are wampee trees at the Fullerton arboretum in Southern Cal.
Oscar

Mike T

• Zone 12a
  • Cairns,Nth Qld, Australia
    • Zone 12a
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: May 12, 2012, 04:18:42 AM »
They can be grown in Sydney so as far as climate is concerned they should do alright in LA.

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
« Reply #37 on: May 12, 2012, 04:39:06 AM »
They can be grown in Sydney so as far as climate is concerned they should do alright in LA.

Already doing well in LA. I think there are fruiting wampi trees as far north as San Francisco.
Oscar

eNorm

• So. California
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: May 12, 2012, 10:53:25 PM »
emegar,

I bought my wampee at Mimosa a couple of years ago and the owner mentioned that they were rooted from cuttings of a sweet variety.

Ethan,

They were $25 back then  ;D

Oscar is correct, there is a wampee at the Fullerton Arboretum and it fruits every year.  It's a bit on the sour side, but still pleasant tasting.

emegar

• Zone 9b/10a, Rancho Cucamonga, CA
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: May 13, 2012, 02:19:54 AM »
eNorm,

Thanks for the insider information!  Have you had any fruit from your tree yet?

James
James

Ethan

• View Profile
« Reply #40 on: May 13, 2012, 10:47:18 AM »
Thank you for the insight Enorm, I need to get mine planted in the ground!

-Ethan

edself65

• Round Rock, Texas
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: May 13, 2012, 11:02:24 AM »
Some info for the California folks:

http://www.citrusvariety.ucr.edu/citrus/wampee.html

http://www.ars-grin.gov/cgi-bin/npgs/html/tax_acc.pl

Maybe you can request seeds or budwood from Riverside.

thanks,

Ed

eNorm

• So. California
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: May 13, 2012, 12:48:05 PM »
James,

Unfortunately, mine hasn't fruited yet.  My tree hasn't done very well the past year as it's still in a pot and I've had to move it a few too many times.  Right now, I'm getting quite a bit of new growth and lot of the old leaves are actually falling off.

luc

• Mexico , Puerto Vallarta , Jalisco . 20 degr. North
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: January 26, 2013, 07:46:37 PM »
I have 3 from different locations ( One from Brazil that is supposed to be ' Pink ' ) only one fruiting so far and i am happy with it .
Do you guys also have multiple fruitings ( 2 ) a year ?
Luc Vleeracker
Puerto Vallarta
Mexico , Pacific coast.
20 degrees north

BMc

• Brisbane, Queensland, Australia
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: January 26, 2013, 10:39:12 PM »
I get multiples, but recent seasons have been screwed up, so I get multiples on loquats and others that are not supposed to repeat crop.

Good wampis will be 80% + seedless if grown in isolation. With cross pollination seedless ness goes down. I just harvested my yeem pay wampees and they are beyond delicious, like a candied lemon rind. They are angular and bright yellow skinned, unlike the other types, which are oval and bronze, like a guy sahm, which have more aromatic, spicy, grapefruit notes about them. The problem with this variety is that it's too small and gets stung by fruit fly, so will never be more than a curiosity here. The bronze ones fare better, but are nowhere near as sweet. I'd sow the seeds to try to get a bigger fruit from seedling, but they are seedless.

FlyingFoxFruits

• Prince of Plinia
    • View Profile
    • Flying Fox Fruits
« Reply #45 on: January 28, 2013, 05:32:51 PM »
I'm ready to taste these again...BMc, your descriptions are great.

Who has a good cultivar, or grafted tree in FL??

Bendersgrove still have some?  anyone else?

www.FlyingFoxFruits.com

www.PLINIAS.com

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk