Author Topic: Help Please – Fertilizing first-bloom mango cultivars . . .  (Read 728 times)

Epicatt2

• Fruit forest in progress . . .
    • Tampa, FL / Zone 9b
    • View Profile
Help Please – Fertilizing first-bloom mango cultivars . . .
« on: February 18, 2021, 06:34:38 PM »
Yesterday I discovered that my three mango cultivars are all initiating flowerspikes for the first time.

I have 'Beverly', 'Ice Cream', and 'Irwin' and all are in 7-gal. pots.  Each was chosen because it is either a dwarf or semi-dwarf tree.  'Beverly' is about 5 to 6 feet tall and ther other two are about four feet tall. 

I have not given them any fertilizer containing nitrogen, except one time in July or August and then it was a VERY SCANT application.

But with me still being a 'mango novice' and now that they are each pushing inflorescences, should these three mango cultivars be fertilized at all?  If so, with what?  And how much?  And when?

So, help please.

TIA

Paul M.
==
« Last Edit: February 19, 2021, 03:31:19 PM by Epicatt2 »

Epicatt2

• Tampa, FL / Zone 9b
    • View Profile
Re: Help Please – Fertilizing first-bloom mango cultivars . . .
« Reply #1 on: February 22, 2021, 07:08:46 PM »
Still wondering whether my three mango cultivars in 7 gallon pots and which are starting inflorescences woud benefit from any sort of light fertilizing to help them set and hold some fruit this season.

I'm asking since there were no replies when this was origiinally posted the other day.

It seems odd that with the huge mango interest on TFF that no one has any suggestion about this.  Thought that we were here to help out each other when we can.

Regards,

Paul M.
==

zands

• mango_zango
    • Zone 10b, Florida, USA, 33321
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 22, 2021, 08:29:12 PM »
The classic Zill fertilization instructions are here---   https://www.houzz.com/discussions/2195245/mango-fertilizer
You will see an image that says Julie mango. Magnify it and read. That card is what used to hang from Zill trees

bovine421

• Shake Rag Rd Fl 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 22, 2021, 08:35:23 PM »
I would say the days are getting longer. The nights are getting warmer. Most trees are starting to  flush They're out of their dormancy so some water soluble fertilizer in your plants drink would probably be a good thing. I'm going to do that this weekend and some of my trees are of the 7 gallon size but they are in the ground. The ones that I am fertilizing are not going to be allowed to carry fruit. The others are of the size that they will not receive any fertilizer and they will be allowed to carry fruit. If you are growing in a container to control the size and don't mind having a runt then let it go ahead and carry fruit .
Tete Nene Julie Juliet Carrie Ice Cream Coconut Cream Little Gem  Dot  Mallika PPK  OS  Pina Colada Cotton Candy Buxton Spice Karen Michelle M-4 Beverly Marc Anthony White Pirie Lychee Cherilata Plantain Barbados Cherry

Epicatt2

• Tampa, FL / Zone 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 22, 2021, 11:57:03 PM »
Bovine (& Gentle TFF Members),

Remember, my 3 mangoes are each a dwarf or a semi-dwarf cultivar and each is in a 7 gal. pot. per the initial post of this thread.

Does this significantly change anything ref providing a weak hit of fertilizer to (apparently) first-bloom sapling mangoes?

Still got to go read the Zill link above.  [Update - Read it!]

Thanx!

Paul M.
==
« Last Edit: February 23, 2021, 12:12:45 AM by Epicatt2 »

bovine421

• Shake Rag Rd Fl 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 23, 2021, 06:30:14 AM »
Additional information please. Do you tend to leave them in containers because  you may live in a condo or an apartment and it's on your patio. If you intend to put them in the ground. I would go ahead and do so.Har made a very good video on truly tropical that gives good insight into why you should trim the roots during planting. If you're going to keep it in a container I will let the folks who raise their trees in containers to give you the proper answer. Here is a nice video by Chris from truly tropical about small potted mango trees with flowers.  It does not mention fertilization.
I saw your initial post and was waiting for someone else with more knowledge to answer. There are water soluble fertilizers designed for flower bloom. https://jobescompany.com/product/jobes-organics-water-soluble-bursting-blooms/
In my opinion a weak dose of that would not harm anything.
https://youtu.be/fd_5JDBWYck
« Last Edit: February 23, 2021, 07:19:35 AM by bovine421 »
Tete Nene Julie Juliet Carrie Ice Cream Coconut Cream Little Gem  Dot  Mallika PPK  OS  Pina Colada Cotton Candy Buxton Spice Karen Michelle M-4 Beverly Marc Anthony White Pirie Lychee Cherilata Plantain Barbados Cherry

Fishinsteeg234

• USA, FL, Longwood, zone 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 23, 2021, 07:46:52 AM »
I have always used organic fish emulsion for light feedings (1x month) in between the routine spring, summer, fall organic granular slow release feedings. I believe a light fish emulsion feed would not hurt anything at this time.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk