Author Topic: 2021 Lychee Season  (Read 15966 times)

Galatians522

• Florida 9b
    • View Profile
Re: 2021 Lychee Season
« Reply #75 on: March 05, 2021, 10:32:52 PM »
what do you guys think, is it possible to grow and fruit a Wai Chee in a 12 gallon pot?

I have not grown Wai Chee, but we have fruited Emperor (which has a similar growth rate to my understanding) in 15 gallon pots. The difficulty is that the roots are confined by the time you develop enough canopy to produce fruit. This makes it very hard to keep the tree sufficiently watered when it is fruiting and results in many split fruit. Maybe a better watering system or a variety that resists splitting would help.

boxturtle

• usa, ca. garden grove Orange County
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: March 05, 2021, 10:48:16 PM »
JoeP450, you're sweetheart tree blooms looks great, hope you get plenty of fruits.

Boxturtle, glad to see your first blooms, hope you get many fruits. If you get fruits, please save me a few so I can taste my first Sweetheart.
I hope to have plenty of Brewster fruits this season since my tree looks good with lots of blooms. I can bring you some fruits so I can taste your Sweetheart.

Will do :) panicles  are getting bigger and bigger I'm so glad that flowers didn't already bloomed.  We have been getting alot of Santa Ana winds lately. If it did probably would have been bye bye fruits

mattyboydesigns

• St. Petersburg, Florida 9b/10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: March 26, 2021, 09:08:21 AM »
Fruit set on the Hak Ip. Feeling pretty excited for my little tree. This branch has 21 fruits.

sc4001992

• USA, CA, Fullerton
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: March 26, 2021, 05:24:25 PM »
Those look nice, congrats!

lebmung

• Romania, Bucharest,7b (inside city 8a)
    • View Profile
    • Plante tropicale
« Reply #79 on: March 26, 2021, 08:04:31 PM »
what do you guys think, is it possible to grow and fruit a Wai Chee in a 12 gallon pot?

I have not grown Wai Chee, but we have fruited Emperor (which has a similar growth rate to my understanding) in 15 gallon pots. The difficulty is that the roots are confined by the time you develop enough canopy to produce fruit. This makes it very hard to keep the tree sufficiently watered when it is fruiting and results in many split fruit. Maybe a better watering system or a variety that resists splitting would help.

That's a good info. I will try to grow it, although my ordered tree died during shipment. I guess I need a new one.
So I should add more coco coir which holds more water once the tree gets bigger.

Galatians522

• Florida 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: March 26, 2021, 08:59:27 PM »

That's a good info. I will try to grow it, although my ordered tree died during shipment. I guess I need a new one.
So I should add more coco coir which holds more water once the tree gets bigger.

We did not use coco coir, just potting soil. So, I don't know how that would work. I had initially thought about putting a shalow tray under each pot when they were fruiting like some people do for jaboticaba.

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • USA, Big Island, East Hawaii, Zone 13a
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
« Reply #81 on: March 27, 2021, 02:39:19 AM »

Some blooms coming in on sweat heart now 😎

-Joe
You must have been worried, and it made your heart sweat?  :D
Very pleased with my Sweetheart lychee. It's been a consistent bearer 3 years in a row. Beats out Kaimana and Kwai Mi pink for me for consistent fruiting in our tropical climate.
Oscar

gnappi

• South East Florida (U.S.A) Zone 10A
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: March 27, 2021, 05:41:40 AM »
First winter with decent chill hours in close to a decade here. Sweetheart pushing out a decent amount of flowers.

I've been told that lychees much be extremely well irrigated around fruit set to prevent abortion of fruit. My sweeetheart flowers every year (20% or less of the tree), but only a dozen fruit ever make it to maturity.

This time, I'm in the process of upgrading my irrigation system. 3HP pump with 2" and 1 1/2" tubing. Hoping for a good crop.

Do you still have the big (sweetheart?) tree out front? I remember one year it being full of fruit.

My Sweetheart did pretty well last year, this year it exploded in blooms but I'll have to wait and see how many cling to the tree and if I can keep the squirrels away. This year is my first bloom of the Mauritius and I'll have to wait and see what it holds.
Regards,

Gary

puglvr1

• USA, Central, FL xxxxx, Zone 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: April 13, 2021, 12:43:02 PM »
My lychee tree had a few bloom spikes this year but NOT one fruit survived!! I didn't trim/remove the old dried up bloom spikes that were still there from 2 years ago (the last time fruited)  :'(...this year it got a good pruning, so maybe next year I hope??...it will fruit again **sigh**

Start of pruning...

Done...after some decent pruning...

Sorry for the sideways pics  :-\ Iphones, can't figure it out Lol...

sc4001992

• USA, CA, Fullerton
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: April 14, 2021, 01:09:25 AM »
Just getting flowers on my tree now. Lots of bees buzzing, looks like I should get plenty of fruits even though I air-layers many branches off the tree.

« Last Edit: May 02, 2021, 02:11:10 AM by sc4001992 »

Saone

• Central vietnam
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: April 14, 2021, 08:39:54 AM »
How do you top work lychee trees? Got a few growing but around my area the trees grow huge and very wide. Seem to need tons of space requirements. Anyone have success in keeping them shorter?

sc4001992

• USA, CA, Fullerton
    • View Profile
« Reply #86 on: April 14, 2021, 09:35:24 AM »
You can cut down the branch to any height you want, not hard. But if you cut the larger branches to say 8 feet then you will not get much fruits again for 2 yrs or longer. After that the tree will take a while to grow large again. My tree grows to about 18 ft so I keep it trimmed at 15 ft since I like all the fruits I get from it. Fruits grow on the tips of the new branches. You can graft new varieties on any of the newer/smaller branches after you cut down your tree to a manageable size. Since it takes so long for lychee trees to grow and have plenty of fruits, most people like to let it grow up and big for the fruits. Its not like a mulberry tree where it could grow over 20 ft in one year, and I take my chain saw and cut it back to 8 ft every year.
« Last Edit: April 17, 2021, 07:22:28 AM by sc4001992 »

mattyboydesigns

• View Profile
« Reply #87 on: April 30, 2021, 09:19:14 PM »
Mmmmm...I can't wait. The fruits are starting to swell up.

Thematt829

• Metairie
    • View Profile
« Reply #88 on: May 01, 2021, 10:17:15 PM »

What variety is that?

Seanny

• Garden Grove, Orange County, California, 10B
    • View Profile
« Reply #89 on: May 02, 2021, 02:09:39 AM »
Mines are at 1st male flower stage.

mattyboydesigns

• View Profile
« Reply #90 on: May 02, 2021, 09:47:14 AM »

What variety is that?

Hak Ip

shot

• usa fl bokeelia 10
    • View Profile
« Reply #91 on: May 02, 2021, 05:43:11 PM »
Every variety of lychee that I have has fruit this year including No Mai Chi,Kaimana,Salathiel,
Tai So,Fay Zee ,Bengal,Kwai May Pink,Kwai May Red, Yellow Red

The best is still No Mai Chi ,the complexity of the flavors the feel of the texture of flesh,the high sugars and the tiny tiny seed.Just world class fruit hard to beat!

LycheeLust

• I need the seedless lychee
    • Los Angeles, 10A
    • View Profile
« Reply #92 on: May 03, 2021, 03:27:19 AM »
Every variety of lychee that I have has fruit this year including No Mai Chi,Kaimana,Salathiel,

The best is still No Mai Chi ,the complexity of the flavors the feel of the texture of flesh,the high sugars and the tiny tiny seed.Just world class fruit hard to beat!

Is tai so mauritius and Fay zee Sweetheart?

shot

• usa fl bokeelia 10
    • View Profile
« Reply #93 on: May 03, 2021, 09:43:21 AM »

Is tai so mauritius and Fay zee Sweetheart?

Yes and Yes ,I forgot I have one and only Brewster lychee fruiting

Galatians522

• Florida 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #94 on: May 03, 2021, 09:51:58 PM »

That is an impressive collection! Have you tried Gee Kee? I was told that it has a peach like flavor, but have not tasted it for myself yet.

JoeP450

• Mahaha Chinook
    • Palm City FL
    • View Profile
« Reply #95 on: May 08, 2021, 04:06:42 PM »
Just an update on my lychee tree as well as pics to preface this questions: 1) tree flowered like crazy though so many blooms seem to have dried out and aborted fruit? 2) why did half the tree set fruit?!?!

Here’s its “good side”

1) notice the dried out panicles with no fruit set:

2) then this side by the road has only 1 or 2 fruit on it?!? 🤷‍♂️

Pics taken today,

-Joe

sc4001992

• USA, CA, Fullerton
    • View Profile
« Reply #96 on: May 08, 2021, 04:45:02 PM »
Joe, nice fruits, what type are they?

I think the side away from the sun usually will not have as much fruits as the side that get full direct sun. My large Brewster seems to have the most fruits on the south and west side and very little on the north side. My tree is large enough that nothing blocks the sun (branches above roof). My tree is only finishing with bees pollinating the flowers and some small fruits are visible on the panicles. Looks like I will have many fruits this year.
« Last Edit: May 08, 2021, 04:54:09 PM by sc4001992 »

JoeP450

• Mahaha Chinook
    • Palm City FL
    • View Profile
« Reply #97 on: May 08, 2021, 06:32:58 PM »
Joe, nice fruits, what type are they?

I think the side away from the sun usually will not have as much fruits as the side that get full direct sun. My large Brewster seems to have the most fruits on the south and west side and very little on the north side. My tree is large enough that nothing blocks the sun (branches above roof). My tree is only finishing with bees pollinating the flowers and some small fruits are visible on the panicles. Looks like I will have many fruits this year.

Interesting take as the side with least fruits is north side 🤔, this is sweet heart.

-joe

Saone

• Central vietnam
    • View Profile
« Reply #98 on: May 09, 2021, 08:39:58 AM »
do you guy top work the tree to keep them shorter? I have 2 lychee and two longan trees to plant but worried about size and location. Around where I live I see nice medium size younger trees, and than Massive trees. Anyone interplant other tree with them?

johnb51

• USA Deerfield Beach, FL Zone 11a
    • View Profile
« Reply #99 on: May 09, 2021, 09:20:49 AM »
I found another lychee tree loaded with fruit in the vicinity (North Broward County/2-3 mi. from ocean), so that makes two.  Was the cold we experienced last winter the main reason for these trees setting fruit as I'm wondering what to expect in future years?
John