Author Topic: Mulgova Mango  (Read 3709 times)

simon_grow

• USA, San Diego, CA, Zone 10a
    • View Profile
Mulgova Mango
« on: July 07, 2018, 07:26:20 PM »
I just received my box of Mulgova Mangos grown in India from Mangozz.com. We are in the midst of a heatwave here in SoCal and I was very afraid that the Mangos would not last long in the extreme heat, especially when I discovered they were not shipped overnight.

When I opened up the box, I was happy to see that the Mangos were well insulated in a spongy material to prevent bruising injury. I could definitely smell the Mangos when I opened up the box but the aroma was gentle and smelled similar to a Kent mixed with Haden and I didn’t detect any Indian resin smell.  When I picked up the Mangos, they were very very warm to the touch and fully ripe. One of the Mangos has a slight cut and soft spot on it so I immediately cut it open.

When I cut open the fruit, I smelled everything I described earlier plus I detected the Indian resin smell that is so popular with varieties from India. The flesh was soft and melting with a bright orange color. The flesh was super juicy and fiberless.

I was expecting this Mango to blow my mind because I saw Chris’s videos from Truly Tropical and she described it as excellent tasting but not very productive. I figured a Mango that is unproductive and huge must be pretty good to keep around. This mango is very good but this first fruit I sampled was not outstanding.

It had a slight creamy mango taste to it and the flavor profile of the center flesh( away from the skin) tasted like a combination of Kent/Haden and Banganpalli. The flesh closer to the skin tasted very much like Banganpalli with a lot more Indian Resin taste than compared to the flesh from the center. The flesh next to the skin tasted almost identical to Banganpalli.

This Mango was very well rounded in that it had excellent sweetness(Brix 22%) and a good balance of typical Tropical Mango flavor with some Indian resin mixed in. There was no detectable acidity, similar to Kent/Haden and I will try to eat one of the other fruit slightly more firm to see if there is a difference in taste.

A very good Mango but I prefer Rajapuri over this Mulgova because Rajapuri has a more complex mix of flavors. Perhaps the other fruit that aren’t as over ripe will be better. I’ll report back on how the others turn out.

Simon

Simon

Squam256

• Mangos, trees and budwood for sale
    • USA, West Palm Beach, FL, 33405, Zone 10b
    • View Profile
    • https://www.facebook.com/TropicalAcresFarms
Re: Mulgova Mango
« Reply #1 on: July 07, 2018, 07:28:36 PM »
Malgova in India  is actually Not the same mango as “Mulgoba” in Florida.

simon_grow

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 07, 2018, 07:34:32 PM »
Thanks for the info Alex, I recall Chris mentioned that the original graft may have died back. I also remember her mentioning something about the way it’s spelled which is how you determine if it’s the Indian variety or the one grown in Florida.

Simon

Guanabanus

• SE Palm Beach County, East of I-95, Elevation 18'
    • USA, Florida, Boynton Beach, 33435, Zone 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 07, 2018, 08:09:33 PM »
Most Indians that I have spoken with about Mulgoba have never heard of it, but those from around Hyderabad say that it is common there.
Har

nighthawk0911@yahoo.com

• Blue lives matter.
    • SW Florida Zone 9B
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 07, 2018, 09:44:10 PM »
1. Is Rajapuri the really best Mango in India & does anyone in Florida grow them?

2.  Can you grow Rajapuri in Florida & do they taste the same.
Blessed be the man who plants a tree knowing he will never live to enjoy it's fruit or shade.

MANGOJOY

• CORAL SPRINGS
    • View Profile

simon_grow

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 07, 2018, 10:15:33 PM »
Mangojoy, what did you think about Mulgova? Can you remember any flavor profiles? It is a good Mango but nothing really stood out for me. The first fruit I ate was a bit over ripe.

Simon

mangokothiyan

• Coral Springs, Florida
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 07, 2018, 11:56:49 PM »

The Malgova tree we had in Kerala, in South India, produced the most incredible mangoes. From what I remember, the mangoes smelled great, the flesh was soft and melting and the fruit itself was similar in shape but bigger than a Bailey's Marvel. I wish I was good at describing taste.

It was also an alternate bearer.

simon_grow

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 08, 2018, 12:12:43 AM »
I just cut open the second Mulgova and it tasted much better than the first fruit. This fruit was slightly more firm than the first Fruit and tasted like a giant Kesar. This fruit also had s Brix of 22% but it tasted sweeter. This second Fruit had just the slightest bit of acid balance similar to a Kesar at peak of perfection. I really like Kesar and this Mango may be better than Kesar. Kesars are pretty uniform in quality and the season is over already so I won’t be able to do a side by side comparison. This second Fruit was excellent! Here are some pictures of the second Fruit.

Simon

simon_grow

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 08, 2018, 12:13:34 AM »

Simon

wslau

• La Palma, CA, USA, Zone 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 08, 2018, 03:07:24 AM »
I just cut open the second Mulgova and it tasted much better than the first fruit. This fruit was slightly more firm than the first Fruit and tasted like a giant Kesar. This fruit also had s Brix of 22% but it tasted sweeter. This second Fruit had just the slightest bit of acid balance similar to a Kesar at peak of perfection. I really like Kesar and this Mango may be better than Kesar. Kesars are pretty uniform in quality and the season is over already so I won’t be able to do a side by side comparison. This second Fruit was excellent! Here are some pictures of the second Fruit.

Simon
Simon....I would have never guessed that malgova has a resinous/piney flavor.  Is this the mulgoba that is the parent of Haden?  Oops...never mind...just saw Squam's post saying India malgova is different than FL mulgoba
« Last Edit: July 08, 2018, 03:13:28 AM by wslau »
Warren

zands

• mango_zango
    • Zone 10b, Florida, USA, 33321
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 08, 2018, 08:12:11 AM »

[/url
Had a chance to taste this one during my visit to India.

Simon

See how green those mangoes are? The Indians have been breeding mangoes for transportability for centuries. I would say with a 3-5 day window  between when the mango is picked and later bought in the market. Some Bangladeshis were over the other day and wanted green Carrie mangoes that for me were too hard and too green. But this is the end for this years Carrie fruits so what they took will ripen at home like the  Mulgova mangoes in the photo taken in India.

The  Mulgova you grow on a backyard tree and pick at perfection will be superior.
« Last Edit: July 08, 2018, 08:43:17 AM by zands »

simon_grow

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 08, 2018, 08:26:34 AM »
Yeah Zands,

That ability to be picked mature green is one attribute I love about some of the Indian Mango varieties. I know many consumers buy with their eyes and gravitate towards colorful red Mangos but could care less about color. In fact, for dooryard planting’s, I would prefer green Mangos as they are less likely to be stolen.

Simon

zands

• mango_zango
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 08, 2018, 08:40:55 AM »
Yeah Zands,

That ability to be picked mature green is one attribute I love about some of the Indian Mango varieties. I know many consumers buy with their eyes and gravitate towards colorful red Mangos but could care less about color. In fact, for dooryard planting’s, I would prefer green Mangos as they are less likely to be stolen.

Simon

As you say, the keyword is "some".  Not all Indian mango varieties but some (many?) have been bred over centuries to be delicious when they arrive in the Indian cities. The buyers in the cities buy at "green, shiny and hard" but know the mango will yellow up, is good to eat in a few days.

Same here on the East Coast. We get Hass avocados coming in from Mexico. They are hard hard hard. But they are nice to eat a few days after buying. No way am I getting the real Hass taste but maybe 65%.  Most people hammer and demolish these Hass into guac so what do they care?
« Last Edit: July 08, 2018, 08:46:19 AM by zands »

MANGOJOY

• CORAL SPRINGS
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 08, 2018, 09:52:53 AM »
Mangojoy, what did you think about Mulgova? Can you remember any flavor profiles? It is a good Mango but nothing really stood out for me. The first fruit I ate was a bit over ripe.

Simon

It was good decent mango with resinous. But did not make me "wow" . But I tasted only one. The next day I had to leave India. Tasting just one mango does not give us a clear picture. Malgova used to be the king of mangoes before Alphonso took over.  I purchased 11 varieties from that market. I was excited to see that many mangoes nicely displayed with its name and price. It was in June the peak mango season was over.  I will post more pictures on a different thread.

zands

• mango_zango
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: July 08, 2018, 10:07:24 AM »

Simon

It was good decent mango with resinous. But did not make me "wow" . But I tasted only one. The next day I had to leave India. Tasting just one mango does not give us a clear picture. Malgova used to be the king of mangoes before Alphonso took over.  I purchased 11 varieties from that market. I was excited to see that many mangoes nicely displayed with its name and price. It was in June the peak mango season was over.  I will post more pictures on a different thread.

Yes please post them. Most of the photos I see of Indian mangoes in Indian markets are on commercial sites and somewhat photoshopped.

zzzzz

EvilFruit

• Dubai, UAE
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 08, 2018, 01:11:47 PM »

Simon

This does not look like Mulgova Mango that we have at the local Indian Store. All the Mulgova Mango I have seen in here are green (even when they are ripe) and more roundish than the one you have.

Here is a picture

« Last Edit: July 08, 2018, 01:14:57 PM by EvilFruit »
Moh'd

EvilFruit

• Dubai, UAE
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 08, 2018, 01:18:46 PM »
From last year.

Moh'd

simon_grow

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 08, 2018, 01:30:09 PM »
I was wondering about the shape as well. I wouldn’t be surprised if they sent me something else. I will write to them and ask. Thanks for the heads up!

Simon