Author Topic: Is this container Sugar Apple ripening?  (Read 1978 times)

nana7b

• North Texas, 8a
    • View Profile
Is this container Sugar Apple ripening?
« on: August 15, 2015, 10:13:49 AM »
This second year Sugar Apple is growing in a 3 gallon or so container.

I see small cracks forming between the sections. Is this an indication that it is ripening? (or something else. Its been hot here - around 100F for the last 2 weeks)
The fruit is a little larger than a golf ball and feels fairly firm. I pollinated this one in May.

FlyingFoxFruits

• Prince of Plinia
  • www.FlyingFoxFruits.com
    • USA, FEMA Region IV, FL Zone 9a
    • View Profile
    • Flying Fox Fruits
Re: Is this container Sugar Apple ripening?
« Reply #1 on: August 15, 2015, 12:09:40 PM »
nana7b,

sorry for the bad news, but looks like the fruit is splitting early.

this is usually a result of being watered too much.

when the fruit is close to being ready, you will notice the segments begin to separate, and as the fruit expands, it will reveal a lighter coloration in between the segments...

it somehow reminds me of a piece of half popped pop corn. (which I also happen to love)  ;D

see the piece all the way to the right?

« Last Edit: August 15, 2015, 12:14:01 PM by FlyingFoxFruits »
www.FlyingFoxFruits.com

www.PLINIAS.com

https://www.ebay.com/usr/flyingfoxfruits

www.youtube.com/FlyingFoxFruits

https://www.instagram.com/flyingfoxfruits/
I disabled the forum's personal messaging system, please send an email to contact me, FlyingFoxFruits@gmail.com

jegpg1

• Punta Gorda, FL
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 15, 2015, 01:23:49 PM »
When the segments get flatter and the fruit gets a lighter color. Ripening is rather fast on sugar apples, it can ripen overnight. It may be rock hard today but can get very soft tomorrow. So, when it gets bigger, you start a daily check by giving it a little squeeze. Once you feel a little "give" you can pick it and let it ripen on the kitchen table, if you miss that stage, the ants and the flies will get it before you do. That fruit can still ripen but it isn't ready yet.

nana7b

• North Texas, 8a
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 16, 2015, 05:54:19 AM »
Thanks Adam! I must have over watered it. I have micro sprinklers on a timer and it waters two times a day. Since it is very hot I have been hosing it down once a day as well. This may have been too much.

Does Atemoya behave the same way by splitting when over watered? I have a Gefner with one fruit on it and don't want to loose it.

Jegpg Thanks for the ripening info! This is the first time for me to grow this plant and now I know what to look for.
I have not eaten a Sugar apple in perhaps 30 or more years so was looking forward to trying them.

Bhkkatemoya

• San diego
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 20, 2015, 02:09:19 AM »
Watering it twice a day might be too much.  2-3 times a week with a good amount should be good.  You have your plant in a container so it should drain really well.  My atemoya loves water.  Didnt experience any crack at all. 

Have you thought about transplanting to a bigger pot? 3 gal is too small to me.  All of my container grown fruits are in 15 gal and I still feel it's not enough.  I haven't eat one of these for 4 years now.  Let me know how it tastes like here in the U.S.  One thing I noticed, it's so small.

Pan Dulce

• Central Florida
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 21, 2015, 11:18:49 PM »
When they are young, they will just put out a fruit or two, and the fruit will stay small. Like the others have said, they will crack with excessive moisture, and you will know if it's ripe when the segments separate...... plus you will see some lighter yellowish colors near the base of each segment.  For me cracking normally occurs during the ripening stage, so do the daily pressure test or just wait for it to fall off.