Author Topic: Top ten tree mango list  (Read 9259 times)

JulianoGS

• USA, South Florida
    • View Profile
Top ten tree mango list
« on: March 11, 2021, 02:17:08 PM »
If you could only have 10 mango trees, and wanted solid productivity, minimal tree work, and a good tasting fruit.
What would it be?  Do we now have more info on newer varieties?

Productivity
Resistance
Taste
Care
Be very careful and mindful of what you sow, for whatever a man sows, that he will also reap.

bovine421

• Shake Rag Rd Fl 9b
    • View Profile
Re: Top ten tree mango list
« Reply #1 on: March 11, 2021, 02:33:20 PM »
Dwarf Hawaiian Pickering Little Gem Honey Kiss Fruit Punch Glenn
I've been up since 5 I'm a little frazzled right now if I count any higher I will have to take my shoe off.lol
Tete Nene Julie Juliet Carrie Ice Cream Coconut Cream Little Gem  Dot  Mallika PPK  OS  Pina Colada Cotton Candy Buxton Spice Karen Michelle M-4 Beverly Marc Anthony White Pirie Lychee Cherilata Plantain Barbados Cherry

TonyinCC

• Trying to enjoy home grown fruit 12 months a year
    • Cape Coral,FL
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 11, 2021, 02:57:03 PM »
Not sure if I can come up with 10 yet but the first 5 on this list should all be solid productive trees for homeowners with limited space. ( not in order of quality)

Glenn (earliest of the group not counting Dwarf Hawaiian...) Neighbors have been very happy with this one, I don't have one planted.

Pickering (at its best from June til mid July) Precocious and productive. Must have.

Duncan (many good traits)

Maha Chanok   (Starts Mid July and can have off season fruit, have had fruit in Dec,Jan,April) Not precocious.

Little Gem (Very long season potentially from June til mid Sept but best later in the season. I start picking mid July.) Must Have.

Honey Kiss according to other members.Probably a must have tree. My tree died and has not been replanted but maybe in the future...

Edgar?  Precocious and productive long season.  Late May-July for me. Fruit can be dirty looking with anthracnose later in its season. Peachy tangy mango with a hint of citrus.

Cotton Candy?  Not precocious but looks like it will be productive. Best Mango I ate last year was one of these. Healthy well shaped tree. Fruit was looking dirty by July so I picked it all then. Was hoping it would be later season.

Dwarf Hawaiian? I planted one out last year and am hopeful but too early to know if it will make my list as the best earliest mango....

« Last Edit: March 11, 2021, 03:14:36 PM by TonyinCC »

JulianoGS

• USA, South Florida
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 11, 2021, 03:05:10 PM »
Up since 5am, you need to catch some zzz. Come back to the list and add some more later on.
Is Fruit punch a large and vigorous tree?

I've been up since 5 I'm a little frazzled right now if I count any higher I will have to take my shoe off.lol

Be very careful and mindful of what you sow, for whatever a man sows, that he will also reap.

JulianoGS

• USA, South Florida
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 11, 2021, 03:09:29 PM »
Not sure if I can come up with 10 yet but the first 5 on this list should all be solid productive trees for homeowners with limited space. ( not in order of quality)

Glenn (earliest of the group) Neighbors have been very happy with this one, I don't have one planted.

Pickering (at its best from June til mid July) Precocious and productive. Must have.

Maha Chanok   (Starts Mid July and can have off season fruit, have had fruit in Dec,Jan,April) Not precocious.

Little Gem (Very long season potentially from June til mid Sept but best later in the season. I start picking mid July.) Must Have.

Honey Kiss according to other members.Probably a must have tree. My tree died and has not been replanted but maybe in the future...

Edgar?  Precocious and productive long season.  Late May-July for me. Fruit can be dirty looking with anthracnose later in its season. Peachy tangy mango with a hint of citrus.

Cotton Candy?  Not precocious but looks like it will be productive. Best Mango I ate last year was one of these. Healthy well shaped tree. Fruit was looking dirty by July so I picked it all then. Was hoping it would be later season.

Dwarf Hawaiian? I planted one out last year and am hopeful....

Nice input there Tony, got Duncan on my mind as well. 
Do you anything about Edgar's growth habit?

TonyinCC

• Cape Coral,FL
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 11, 2021, 03:23:13 PM »
Edgar is very precocious and productive and this will help limit the size of the tree. I actually had to let new higher scaffold branches grow after the fruit was gone since they were so weighted down with fruit last year they were bent downwards. I had to cut them off and let it regrow some more vertically oriented  branches.  Setting fruit on the new upper scaffolds now. Looks like it will be an easily managed tree.

bovine421

• Shake Rag Rd Fl 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 11, 2021, 04:11:11 PM »

Glenn (earliest of the group) Neighbors have been very happy with this one, I don't have one planted.

Dwarf Hawaiian? I planted one out last year and am hopeful....

Nice input there Tony, got Duncan on my mind as well. 
Do you anything about Edgar's growth habit?
Before you get a Dunkin try the fruit. Once you cut the peel off  even if there is little piece of the peel it ruins it for me. It taste like a unripe wild persimmon.
Tete Nene Julie Juliet Carrie Ice Cream Coconut Cream Little Gem  Dot  Mallika PPK  OS  Pina Colada Cotton Candy Buxton Spice Karen Michelle M-4 Beverly Marc Anthony White Pirie Lychee Cherilata Plantain Barbados Cherry

JulianoGS

• USA, South Florida
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 11, 2021, 04:31:10 PM »
Good list there.
Is Fruit punch a large tree? Is it vigorous?

EddieF

• s.e. florida
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 11, 2021, 07:51:53 PM »
I planted a maha & pickering, great to see them on list.
Small & haven't sprayed with copper for test just to see how resistant to anthracnose & mildew they are, too young to bare fruit.  They both look clean.  I'll clip them soon.

bovine421

• Shake Rag Rd Fl 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 11, 2021, 08:18:18 PM »
Neelam and Valencia Pride and Kent

TonyinCC

• Cape Coral,FL
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 11, 2021, 08:57:52 PM »
Valencia Pride would make my list except it wants to grow into a monster tree. There are a lot of better tasting varieties but it is productive (good to very good fruit) and healthy without spraying. Follow this thread if you want to manage a Valencia Pride, I updated with pics taken a few months ago towards the end. I didn't start the thread but added to it.  If you don't mind topping it at 10-12 feet with a chainsaw every couple years and making it grow multiple competing trunks it could be a good homeowner tree. I spent half a day pruning it and disposing of the prunings. Looks like it will have a nice crop this year.  The same pruning principles work well to make medium varieties into semidwarf  trees.

https://tropicalfruitforum.com/index.php?topic=23979.0

weiss613

• Miami
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 11, 2021, 09:03:35 PM »
This is a question that people who are just getting started need answered. Only a person like Alex at Tropical acres farm can honestly answer or Chris at Truly Tropical or Har or bsbulie and very few others because out of all the available varieties available only they pretty much have grown and worked with and tasted. I started to answer the question and remembered that although I grow 32 varieties with many trees of my top varieties the fact that I have never tasted about 6 of my own varieties means it would be wrong to comment. But that’s not the only reasons. I’ve been growing them from 3 to 18 years but 3 years is not enough years to be commenting on a trees productivity. And what about Miami’s temps being so much warmer than Palm Beach temps. Most trees react differently to these temperature differentials. Some will bloom and be productive in your area and not another. One more thing. I have about 40 Sweet Tarts and there are some that are extremely prolific and some have no fruit and most are about the same age so how can I comment on this sample. So I just could not comment on anything. By me there is no rhyme or reason. Lastly we cause our own problems most of the time. Maybe it’s some things I’ve done that have caused some trees to not to be producing or not to be as productive as I’d like this year so that’s another reason not to voice an opinion.

bovine421

• Shake Rag Rd Fl 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 11, 2021, 09:35:56 PM »
Neelam and Valencia Pride and Kent
And lastly Cac
But Bovine why did you pick Kent
I was trying to get a reaction out of a very knowledgeable person but he is to Wiley to take my bait. My retort was going to be since there's only ten I need one to use as a grafting project :)

TonyinCC

• Cape Coral,FL
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 11, 2021, 10:15:44 PM »
Weiss, I hope those experienced forum members and others chime in with some opinions if they have time.
A practical top 10 mango list to maximize taste,productivity,variety of flavor profiles,ease of care including disease resistance and pruning needs, and to maximize length of mango season with 10 or less trees. (and choices for a top 2 or 3 or 5 sub-list from the list for people with less space.
 Part of the problem is that many trees that are able to produce outstanding fruit may not do so consistently for the average homeowner due to a number of issues including disease. Another is that people with room for 3 or 4 trees plant varieties that all ripen at the same time instead of picking the right set of trees that will extend their season to as long as 4-6 months instead of 4-6 weeks or less. If your top 3 favorites ripen at the same time, make a cocktail tree of those varieties with help from the forum and plant 2 other varieties to extend your season.
 Believe me, I understand the excitement of tasting an amazing mango of a new variety and wanting to grow it. 
  I planted many that failed and have several now that I am not optimistic about.  Some, like Little Gem exceeded my expectations and hopes in a short amount of time.  This thread isn't about the 10 absolute best tasting mango fruit, but rather a list of suggestions and comments about trees that deserve space for consideration in a small collection for homeowners. I don't spray my trees and this Summer will be my first with irrigation. Survival of the fittest and of those the best tasting and productive varieties over the longest possible season earn a place in my yard. I also want to cover as many flavor profiles as possible with my choices. I didn't mention many other varieties that died in my yard or that I excluded from consideration due to disease or lack of productivity.
 I got a lot of good info from people like Alex and Rob and others on the forum and am thankful for their help. I am so glad that Pickering was one of my first trees, and I may never have tasted many of my other favorites without this forum and the people posting. I qualified some of the varieties on my list with question marks since I am not sure about them yet but try to share as much info as possible.  A few years can let you know if a tree is precocious and its general growth habit and health. Some varieties can be very productive when finally mature but not start fruiting for 4-5 years. I have had over 100 fruit since planting Little Gem.
 I have planted a few other varieties that have yet to hold fruit at 6 years of age. By that age, Little Gem may have produced 250 cumulative fruit since planting if it keeps producing like this. It would be unfair not to share success stories.  I want to hear as many of those as possible, but hearing about failures can be helpful too. Sometimes someone else can explain why something failed and you try again and have success.
« Last Edit: March 11, 2021, 11:20:22 PM by TonyinCC »

EddieF

• s.e. florida
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 12, 2021, 08:00:00 AM »
Well said.  I thank this forum & members for my mango & variety education.

bovine421

• Shake Rag Rd Fl 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: March 12, 2021, 08:09:32 AM »
The original posters criteria was a little vague. Other factors and variables would have to be considered. First the yard available space. If you're from Texas you may have to use binoculars to see your mailbox. Check to make sure your neighbor didn't run it over with his tractor. So potentially you could have room for a couple of vigorous large trees for shade. Secondly What is your consumer base. Is it just your immediate family which could mean 3 or 9+
Thirdly storage capacity do you plan on buying a freezer. Realistically during mango Seasons how many mangoes can you eat in one day? Unless I grab one and put it in my lunch box.For me the answer would be three or four. Since we're talking about 10 trees you could have a short medium and long-range goal. So if a couple of them took 7 or 8 years to come in to production. You would have others online much sooner. Something else to consider is location and the age of the original poster. If you have recently moved to 9b and have a AARP card that has mold on it. You might want an instant mango tree. In my opinion you would probably want a 15 gallon tree that has some hardwood on it for cold protection and a little size to give you a couple years Head Start. :)
« Last Edit: March 12, 2021, 10:07:08 AM by bovine421 »

johnb51

• USA Deerfield Beach, FL Zone 11a
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 12, 2021, 09:08:40 AM »
I thought Kent was no longer considered a good mango to plant due to serious MBBS issues (although some still grow it successfully).
John

bovine421

• Shake Rag Rd Fl 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 12, 2021, 10:03:52 AM »
I thought Kent was no longer considered a good mango to plant due to serious MBBS issues (although some still grow it successfully).
I have never tried Kent but it must be good because EddieF is really putting forth the effort to make his tree productive. In nature doesn't fungus consume bacteria?
Is there any or what is the latest treatment for MBBS?
« Last Edit: March 12, 2021, 10:10:04 AM by bovine421 »

TonyinCC

• Cape Coral,FL
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 12, 2021, 10:26:55 AM »
Kent fruit quality is very good if you still have a producing tree. Until recently it was one of the standard later season varieties to plant.  That said, a lot of the newer Zill varieties and other varieties new to Florida have amazing taste. Some of those trees have fruit to die for but people can have issues growing them successfully at the present time with MBBS looming... The good news is older susceptible trees can be topworked with varieties that show resistance thanks to information from this forum. We need a sticky thread on MBBS susceptibility reports so we can collectively get information faster. Maybe a sticky thread on top 10 MBBS tolerant varieties too? So far the most practical treatment is variety choice and/or top working trees, but there is limited info on tolerant/resistant varieties. Alex seems to have the most info in one place on his website in his mango variety descriptions.

JulianoGS

• USA, South Florida
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 12, 2021, 02:31:49 PM »
This is a question that people who are just getting started need answered. Only a person like Alex at Tropical acres farm can honestly answer or Chris at Truly Tropical or Har or bsbulie and very few others because out of all the available varieties available only they pretty much have grown and worked with and tasted. I started to answer the question and remembered that although I grow 32 varieties with many trees of my top varieties the fact that I have never tasted about 6 of my own varieties means it would be wrong to comment. But that’s not the only reasons. I’ve been growing them from 3 to 18 years but 3 years is not enough years to be commenting on a trees productivity. And what about Miami’s temps being so much warmer than Palm Beach temps. Most trees react differently to these temperature differentials. Some will bloom and be productive in your area and not another. One more thing. I have about 40 Sweet Tarts and there are some that are extremely prolific and some have no fruit and most are about the same age so how can I comment on this sample. So I just could not comment on anything. By me there is no rhyme or reason. Lastly we cause our own problems most of the time. Maybe it’s some things I’ve done that have caused some trees to not to be producing or not to be as productive as I’d like this year so that’s another reason not to voice an opinion.

We are in this forum for a reason, to learn from each other and to share that knowledge along with our own experiences.  We understand that what worked for one, may not necessarily work for another.  But you certainly have some experience with mangos, 32 varieties - impressive work!  From those 32, which ones are your top ten trees?  Thanks for commenting and sharing.  ;)

sumognat

• US, FL, SW Ranches, 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: March 12, 2021, 03:37:05 PM »

I inherited some mature mango trees when we bought our current house in 2016.  I finally figured out one was a Kent, the other a NDM, and the third I have no idea yet because we had to rehab it and it looks to have a couple of fruits this year.  The Kent, I am guessing, fell over during a hurricane and the prior owner never righted the tree upright.

My Kent is by far an incredible producer; here's a picture from last year after I harvested most of the fruit.  It tastes great, but, yeah, probably not as complex and sweet as some of these newer varieties I have not tried yet.  The Kents are super juicy, peachy, meaty mangoes--nothing like a gross supermarket mango.  Great for giving away to people or shipping off to your friends/family in the colder climate.  Yes, it can BBS on the outside of the fruit and you don't want to let it get too ripe on the tree, but that's not a big deal since you can pick when almost ripe and let them ripen in your house.  I don't spray my trees with fungicide, live practically in the Everglades, and the area under the mango trees is frequently flooded during the summertime.

bovine421

• Shake Rag Rd Fl 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: March 12, 2021, 03:43:09 PM »

We are in this forum for a reason, to learn from each other and to share that knowledge along with our own experiences.  We understand that what worked for one, may not necessarily work for another.  But you certainly have some experience with mangos, 32 varieties - impressive work!  From those 32, which ones are your top ten trees?  Thanks for commenting and sharing.  ;)
Let me take a whack at this. I'm going to put this to you in a different way. Hypothetically if your family your neighbors your HOA and local code enforcement.  Even the top Guru in India on mangoes.They all have determined that you have mango Obsession syndrome. To cure this they have determined and mandated that you must only keep 10 varieties! All the rest have to be dug up and given to random strangers. To help facilitate this effort code enforcement has contacted the Road and Bridge Department and they will provide a excavator in your efforts. This is entirely for your own good. You have 48 hours to make a decision! After that time has elapsed if you have not made your decision you will lose all of your trees :'(
« Last Edit: March 12, 2021, 03:47:36 PM by bovine421 »

bovine421

• Shake Rag Rd Fl 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: March 12, 2021, 03:44:39 PM »

I inherited some mature mango trees when we bought our current house in 2016.  I finally figured out one was a Kent, the other a NDM, and the third I have no idea yet because we had to rehab it and it looks to have a couple of fruits this year.  The Kent, I am guessing, fell over during a hurricane and the prior owner never righted the tree upright.

My Kent is by far an incredible producer; here's a picture from last year after I harvested most of the fruit.  It tastes great, but, yeah, probably not as complex and sweet as some of these newer varieties I have not tried yet.  The Kents are super juicy, peachy, meaty mangoes--nothing like a gross supermarket mango.  Great for giving away to people or shipping off to your friends/family in the colder climate.  Yes, it can BBS on the outside of the fruit and you don't want to let it get too ripe on the tree, but that's not a big deal since you can pick when almost ripe and let them ripen in your house.  I don't spray my trees with fungicide, live practically in the Everglades, and the area under the mango trees is frequently flooded during the summertime.
:)

achetadomestica

• FLORIDA 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: March 12, 2021, 04:32:29 PM »
Can I have 11?

bovine421

• Shake Rag Rd Fl 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: March 12, 2021, 05:07:40 PM »
Can I have 11?
As long as you're not suffering from Mango Obsession syndrome. Of course you can have  11  :)