Author Topic: Whats wrong with my mango trees?  (Read 1247 times)

Musty

• Saudi Arabia
    • View Profile
Whats wrong with my mango trees?
« on: November 24, 2020, 08:45:22 AM »
Hello,

I have recently bought and planted 2 grafted mango trees at home.

Both have grown and new leaves came out. However I noticed a something odd in both of them. Please see the pictures. One of them the leaves came out curled inwards and the seems to be spider webs in them (that could be the problem).
The other one has some weird spots on them.

The first and third pictures are the same tree.
Appreciate any help.

JakeFruit

• Mod Emeritus
  • FL Gulf Coast Fruit Lover Spam Fighter
    • zone 10A
    • View Profile
Re: Whats wrong with my mango trees?
« Reply #1 on: November 24, 2020, 06:33:32 PM »
In your top pic, what's the brown liquid in the white cup/cylinder?

Musty

• Saudi Arabia
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 25, 2020, 06:27:23 AM »
In your top pic, what's the brown liquid in the white cup/cylinder?

That's just compost with water used for driping.

JakeFruit

• Mod Emeritus
    • zone 10A
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 25, 2020, 07:43:57 AM »
Homemade/unfinished compost? Did you mix any into the soil? I had a similar problem, I was mixing unfinished compost into the soil and my roots were rotting.

Musty

• Saudi Arabia
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 25, 2020, 07:50:57 AM »
Yes it is mixed with the soil. It's not homemade. Its store bought compost. I just use thos dripping because my automatic watering always breaks and I'm not home most of the time to check if the plants have been watered so I used this just incase. It works very well it lasts for few days before I have to refill it with water. I have used it for all my other plants, I have a few citrus plants.

Johnny Eat Fruit

• So. California, Huntington Beach. Zone 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 25, 2020, 12:33:05 PM »
Never add compost (Dead plant material) into the soil when you plant your tree. The dead plant material will decay, form a thick sludge, and cause damage to the expanding root system. Only add compost on top of the soil, just like mother nature, and feed the plant from the top by watering.

The only thing you should be adding to the soil when planting the tree is Pumice or washed sand if your soil is heavy.  This will help break up the heavy soil and also improve drainage.

Johnny

Musty

• Saudi Arabia
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 25, 2020, 01:03:40 PM »
Never add compost (Dead plant material) into the soil when you plant your tree. The dead plant material will decay, form a thick sludge, and cause damage to the expanding root system. Only add compost on top of the soil, just like mother nature, and feed the plant from the top by watering.

The only thing you should be adding to the soil when planting the tree is Pumice or washed sand if your soil is heavy.  This will help break up the heavy soil and also improve drainage.

Johnny

It has not been added to the soil, its on top just like you said and it was not added as the paint was planted, it was added several weeks after. Also its not dead plant compost, its natural cow manure compost bought from my local nursery. That's not the issue here, the issue is the leaves in one tree they're coming out curled I have been told the it's a pest spider. The other tree has brown spots on the new leaves.

FMfruitforest

• Tropical Fruit
    • USA, FL,zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 25, 2020, 01:25:37 PM »
Im all for mixing compost with the native soil prior to planting. You just gotta blend it in well, also great to mix in bone meal and blood meal too, and any other organic input that will feed your tree.

joe_OC

• Huntington Beach, CA
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 25, 2020, 03:52:28 PM »
Looks like spider mite damage.  Do the leaves have a dusty feel to them?  Is there a weblike structures on the underside of the leaves?  The dull coloration of the leaves in the first picture looks a lot like the effects of spider mites to me.  Treat it with neem oil if that is the case.

JakeFruit

• Mod Emeritus
    • zone 10A
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 29, 2020, 04:19:12 PM »
I'd still guess it's a problem below ground, looks very much like problems with wet compost and poor drainage I've experienced, but I'm not going to guess further. There's a thread on here titled something like "Mango Diseases, Pests...." you should post your photos and question there. That thread gets the attention of the most knowledgeable growers.

simon_grow

• USA, San Diego, CA, Zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 29, 2020, 11:28:10 PM »
It looks like nutrient lock and or constantly moist soil to me. Do you have hard water in Saudi Arabia? Is your tree in the ground or in a pot.

I’ve seen similar looking leaves on trees where the gardener over watered their potted plant. I’ve also seen leaves that look like that when the plant has nutrient lock which is exacerbated by over watering.

Usually the best remedy is to re-pot and trim back some of the growth to balance out any root damage.

If you are growing in a pot, do you notice any white or brown mineral build up at the top or bottom of the pot? You usually see it where the water evaporates after a watering.

Simon

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk