Author Topic: What new citrus varieties should be introduced?  (Read 754 times)

fruitmentor

• Morgan Hill, California
    • View Profile
    • fruitmentor
What new citrus varieties should be introduced?
« on: April 11, 2021, 04:24:27 PM »
Hi Everyone,

I am working on the second year of a project to introduce new citrus varieties to California and I am hoping to introduce 10 new varieties.

I posted about my project here last year. Thank you to everyone who replied! I received some really great responses that helped with the project. Unfortunately the thread appears to have been deleted. It looks like the forum was subject to some sort of spam attack around that time and I suspect that the thread was deleted along with the spam. Based on the results last year, the introduction of a number of new varieties has been initiated through the CCPP.

This year I have set up a survey to capture the results here (it should take just a few minutes):
Citrus Variety Introduction Survey

Please take the survey if you would like to see some particular citrus variety introduced. It could be anything whether it be a variety from the Citrus Variety Collection or anything else that you are frustrated that you cannot grow.

And I am also happy to get responses from people outside of the U.S. as I hope to repeat this sort of work in Australia, Europe, and elsewhere in the future.

Also feel free to reply to the thread, but to be considered for the project it needs to be input to the survey.

Thanks everyone,
Dan

W.

• United States, Alabama, 7b
    • View Profile
Re: What new citrus varieties should be introduced?
« Reply #1 on: April 11, 2021, 06:26:31 PM »
I remember your post about the project. Strange that it has been wiped from the site, but there have been some IT problems lately. I don't remember what I recommended to you last year; something makes me think my citrus tastes have changed in the past year, and my responses then were different than what I just put on your new survey.

brian

• Pennsylvania (zone 6) w/ heated greenhouse
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 11, 2021, 09:21:13 PM »
I'd like to see a eureka/libson-like lemon that fruits year round, and some more kumquat varieties, and a decent finger lime.  At this point I don't think the orange or mandarins can really be improved upon, the best varieties are amazing and making them sweeter isn't necessary.

Your site doesn't render properly for me, but my browser is goofy.

Millet

• Colorado
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 12, 2021, 11:31:04 AM »
I would like to see CCCP provide a wide source of the now many colors of Finger Limes, and many of the great Italian lemon cultivars. 
« Last Edit: April 12, 2021, 11:36:49 AM by Millet »

Pandan

• Southeast USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 13, 2021, 05:01:21 AM »
Haha you've opened the floodgates:
Thailand:
Tub Tim Siam (ส้มโอทับทิม - ruby siam pomelo)

Japan:
Setoka

Yuko - particularly a sweet cultivar of it: https://www.tkfd.or.jp/en/research/detail.php?id=244

Hyuganatsu & Haruka are also interesting

I'd also request hirado buntan be re-accessioned

Italy:
Four seasons orange from Italy
https://www.oscartintori.it/en/prodotto/four-seasons-orange/
discussed on the forum: https://citrusgrowersv2.proboards.com/thread/647/sessions-orange

I also second Millet & earlier posts: MORE finger lime colors (seriously dying to see these) and more accession variety on australian species (desert lime, etc) in general and more kumquats.