Author Topic: Avocado thread  (Read 183140 times)

Avoman

• Sanger,Ca.
    • View Profile
Re: Avocado thread
« Reply #900 on: January 17, 2021, 01:45:21 PM »
Switcher I've had same condition of leave curl in pots mine do not ever seem to pull out of it, I would try more perlite or pumice percent in your pot mix try to get faster drainage.

swincher

• Western WA (zone 8b, zone 10a greenhouse)
    • View Profile
« Reply #901 on: January 18, 2021, 05:59:30 PM »
Switcher I've had same condition of leave curl in pots mine do not ever seem to pull out of it, I would try more perlite or pumice percent in your pot mix try to get faster drainage.

I have been doing my best to let it dry fully between waterings, but when I just pulled it out of the pot there was a distinct moldy or fungal fuzz on the bottom of the root ball. I'm guessing you nailed it, the mixture I was using (50/50 native soil and Ocean Forest) just wasn't draining well enough.

I decided to give the little guy a chance to survive the remainder of the winter outdoors, maybe he can do a better job than his root fungus at least...

Avoman

• Sanger,Ca.
    • View Profile
« Reply #902 on: January 23, 2021, 06:38:20 PM »
Keep me posted if it pulls out of it outside,,, mine never do when  leaving in pots, I don't know what that ocean mix is, laguna hills nursery sells a top pot soil mix I think it's mostly pumice perlite sand and perhaps a little peat I've never tryed it but he knows his soil well for avo and has a long vid on youtube

swincher

• View Profile
« Reply #903 on: January 23, 2021, 10:41:54 PM »
Keep me posted if it pulls out of it outside

Got down to 29°F last night and was freezing for 9+ hours, looks like the sickly little Mexicola seedling bit the dust.

« Last Edit: January 23, 2021, 10:43:52 PM by swincher »

containerman

• Modesto,CA Area 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #904 on: January 24, 2021, 10:37:50 AM »
when they are young/tender plants they need protection from the cold until they are established. if outdoors like that they need to be covered and even place some christmas lights on them for additional warmth and some mulch. I would also mound them when planting.

swincher

• View Profile
« Reply #905 on: January 24, 2021, 01:46:06 PM »
when they are young/tender plants they need protection from the cold until they are established. if outdoors like that they need to be covered and even place some christmas lights on them for additional warmth and some mulch. I would also mound them when planting.

Yeah I have no intention of planting out any of the seedlings I want to keep until they are at least 2-3 years old, that one was "euthanized" because it was suffering from root rot indoors. I didn't expect it to make it, but gave it the chance to surprise me.
« Last Edit: January 24, 2021, 01:55:54 PM by swincher »

spaugh

• San Diego County California
    • View Profile
« Reply #906 on: January 24, 2021, 03:44:00 PM »
bacon on top jan boyce on bottom.  honestly these are both really good.  the JB does taste better but not out of this world.  they will still get more oil in a month or 2.  some had started dropping and cracking though like typical mexican avocado.  the thin skin and dropping is typical and not a good feature. the JB tree has a stretchy pattern that leaves the fruit somewhat exposed to sun which is also not a good feature.  that seed sure is small though.

« Last Edit: January 24, 2021, 03:51:09 PM by spaugh »
Brad Spaugh

containerman

• Modesto,CA Area 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #907 on: January 24, 2021, 05:05:20 PM »
wow Brad that has to be the smallest seed I have ever seen in an avocado

spaugh

• View Profile
« Reply #908 on: January 24, 2021, 05:27:02 PM »
that is a small seed.  sir prize also has a ver good seed to flesh ratio and has a soft melting flesh similar to JB. 
Brad Spaugh

containerman

• Modesto,CA Area 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #909 on: January 24, 2021, 06:10:20 PM »
that is a small seed.  sir prize also has a ver good seed to flesh ratio and has a soft melting flesh similar to JB.

the 2 trees that did not do well for me were a holiday that died and a sir prize I gave to my son in law and it died.

spaugh

• View Profile
« Reply #910 on: January 24, 2021, 06:23:39 PM »
sir prize is very productive but the tree is pretty weak.  Same with holiday.  holidays are kind of worthless IMO.  i know there are people that like it but theres better options personally I wouldnt propogate it.  Too bad they sell it home depot and people waste time growing it. 
Brad Spaugh

containerman

• Modesto,CA Area 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #911 on: January 24, 2021, 06:42:04 PM »
sir prize is very productive but the tree is pretty weak.  Same with holiday.  holidays are kind of worthless IMO.  i know there are people that like it but theres better options personally I wouldnt propogate it.  Too bad they sell it home depot and people waste time growing it.

Here is what I'm growing now

Bacon
Carmen
D'Arturo
Fuerte
Gem
Gwen
Mexicola
Pinkerton
Reed
Stewart/Stuart depending on who you are talking to lol
Wurtz

spaugh

• View Profile
« Reply #912 on: January 24, 2021, 07:25:47 PM »
Cool, I grew up in Stockton.  We never had avocados but we grew a lot of citrus and peaches.  Pistachios there are super good too, if they would grow here I'd be all about those. 
« Last Edit: January 24, 2021, 07:27:38 PM by spaugh »
Brad Spaugh

containerman

• Modesto,CA Area 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #913 on: January 24, 2021, 07:37:38 PM »
Cool, I grew up in Stockton.  We never had avocados but we grew a lot of citrus and peaches.  Pistachios there are super good too, if they would grow here I'd be all about those.
I also have 22 different citrus varieties and 12 different stonefruit varieties. I did a video tour of my yard in 4 parts. I've updated this video and have added other fruit trees and removed some as well.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=th2uh7juix4
« Last Edit: January 24, 2021, 07:40:33 PM by containerman »

containerman

• Modesto,CA Area 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #914 on: January 24, 2021, 07:42:29 PM »
I also have 22 different citrus varieties and 12 different stonefruit varieties. I did a video tour of my yard in 4 parts. I've updated this video and have added other fruit trees and removed some as well. first video is 4/20 and the 2nd one was just taken

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=th2uh7juix4

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NdItGKiVDb4&t=83s

spaugh

• View Profile
« Reply #915 on: January 24, 2021, 08:28:28 PM »
Nicely done 🙌  Looks like you may need to get a couple acres in the country if you get many more plants. 
Brad Spaugh

zephian

• USA, CA, Yuba City Zone 9B
    • View Profile
« Reply #916 on: January 25, 2021, 09:34:16 AM »

the 2 trees that did not do well for me were a holiday that died and a sir prize I gave to my son in law and it died.
sir prize is my only winner this winter. I have some seedlings in a greenhouse I'll plant out this year, hopefully they grow well. I'll have to watch your walk through.
-Kris

7seas

• Carlsbad, CA
    • View Profile
« Reply #917 on: February 17, 2021, 03:04:14 AM »
We have been trying to grow Holiday 2 times purchased at Home Depot. Both times it was very poor growth so we have given up.

cen

• US, CA/SF peninsula, Menlo Park, 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #918 on: February 17, 2021, 04:42:42 AM »
Last year I purchased a Shawl (at least I hope, since it was not labelled) through ETSY from a Southern California dealer. It arrived in two days, but one of the branches was shriveled and black. The dealer asked me to wait for two weeks, but at the end of one week, the rest of the branches  had turned black (except for a branch on the root side of the graft, which I cut off.  This is not the point, since the dealer issued me a full refund.

After I had the bare trunk, I removed it from the nursery soil and dipped it in fungicide. I did not bother cutting away any roots because few remained intact. I replanted the plant in a mixture of sandy loam and lava rock, and gave it a few treatments of hydrogen peroxide.  About three months later, in the middle of the California winter, it started forming leaf buds, and it now has leaves.

My question is this: if the plant recovered, is it safe to plant in my garden of should I be aware that I may be introducing the fungus to my soil?  Originally, this was meant to be planted in a compact arrangement, with two trees about 18" apart on a mound (based on the method described by R. Frost in "Planting an avocado tree or two"), but that has changed since the tree was received in poor condition and also I found an Epicenter blog post that Shawil is not a preferred variety for Northern California. So, it will probably be planted on a different property on a mound by itself. Or, should I just keep it separated in a pot? Or, even though it looks like it recovered, should I discard it? Or, I guess the safest thing would be to attempt to graft it to a healthy tree?

ScottR

• USA,Arroyo Grande,Calif. 93420,zone 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #919 on: February 17, 2021, 10:49:34 AM »

Here is what I'm growing now

Bacon
Carmen
D'Arturo
Fuerte
Gem
Gwen
Mexicola
Pinkerton
Reed
Stewart/Stuart depending on who you are talking to lol
Wurtz
Containerman, have you fruited D'Arturo yet just wondering how taste is did you get from epicenteravocado?

swincher

• View Profile
« Reply #920 on: February 19, 2021, 01:02:43 AM »
Does anyone recognize these little scale things I spotted on old leaves on one of my avocados? They squish and are gooey like egg sacs, I'm thinking some kind of insect eggs maybe?

ScottR

• USA,Arroyo Grande,Calif. 93420,zone 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #921 on: February 19, 2021, 12:21:19 PM »
Looks like soft scale keep and eye out for ant's they like to farm them on plants.

swincher

• View Profile
« Reply #922 on: February 19, 2021, 01:53:51 PM »
Looks like soft scale keep and eye out for ant's they like to farm them on plants.

Sure does! Sounds like not a major pest, that's a relief. The tree is indoors for the winter, so no ant concerns at the moment. I'll just squish them all as I see them.

Here's a diagram of common scale insects on avocados, for anyone else curious (this looks most like G without the white stuff):

https://www.researchgate.net/figure/Common-scale-insects-on-avocado-trees-Diaspididae-A-Hemiberlesia-cyanophylli_fig1_291352596

Gulfgardener

• Panhandle 9a
    • View Profile
« Reply #923 on: February 21, 2021, 11:17:18 AM »
I bought a Brogdon Avocado last week and it looked healthy. The pot it came in was split from shipping so I repotted and that's when I noticed it hardly had any roots.  It is about 2 feet tall and the root ball is about the size of my fist. I don't see any light colored roots, just dark brown. Is there a way to help it survive besides repotting it in better draining soil? Maybe a foliar spray to help it absorb nutrients? I've searched around a bit and found preventive measures against root rot but not much for when it already set in. 

Gulfgardener

• Panhandle 9a
    • View Profile
« Reply #924 on: February 26, 2021, 10:22:27 AM »
I just wanted to provide an update on avocado root rot in hopes that it may help others. I found various videos and articles by people referring to a study by the University of California on treatments. The study found a product called Garden Phos (potassium phosphite) could be used as a foliar spray or even injected into the trunks of affected trees to help them recover. It will help the tree fight the bacteria primarily responsible for the rot (phytophthora cinnamomi.)

So I mixed the original compost soil the tree was in with sand and have been applying this product as a foliar spray in the morning. The avocado is in partial shade and after 2 days of treatment the leaves are no longer drooping and about to fall off.  I hope it continues to improve. I should have probably dumped that soil out and started new but I'm afraid another repotting episode will be the nail in the coffin. I'll wait until it's stronger.

Another thing worth noting is this spray is also recommended for suppressing anthracnose on mangos.