Author Topic: PAA: Plant Addicts Anonymous Group Meeting - Ongoing  (Read 3758 times)

LivingParadise

• Florida Keys, Zone 11a
    • View Profile
PAA: Plant Addicts Anonymous Group Meeting - Ongoing
« on: June 06, 2017, 11:15:43 AM »
Hi all. This was actually a joke I posted to another thread, but on second thought, I think there is a real need.

So this thread is a running meeting for anyone needing support for their plant addictions. Are you bankrupting yourself trying to get all the latest varieties, traveling to remote rainforests to collect the rarest species, or attempting to stuff your yard and house to the breaking point with plants? Have you distanced yourself from family members and friends because you're too busy tissue culturing pineapples or devising the best composting worm tea, or pouring over online catalogs, to attend your kid's school functions or your friend's wedding? Do you have trouble meeting new people because all you can think to talk about is the growth habit of your Maha Chanok? Can you no longer make it to your bed or your bathroom because your apartment is so full of plants, now that you've decided to create an artificial greenhouse in the middle of your cold climate highrise?

If you need help, you're not alone. Post here for support and to vent frustration, and to deal with those god-awful late-night cravings to spend your entire latest paycheck, or run up your new credit card, or to take a vacation wherever they have the best tropical nursery so you can bring back a truckload full of plants... 

Sure, I'm kind of kidding, but I'm kind of not. I don't regret my purchases really, but wow, this addiction eats at me, it's always hungry and never satisfied! There is always something else that sounds amazing that I want to try to grow, that I want to see in person for myself, and smell and touch in real life and not just my imagination! I can never get enough plants. I have so many seeds in my house that I never even have time to plant them all, much less make tags to remember where I've put everything once it's in the ground or in a pot! I'm still paying on last year's plants, bought luckily on heavy sale with a 0% APR credit card so it didn't actually cost me anything extra yet... but most of them of course haven't fruited yet, so it's still a gamble. And then, as hurricane season starts yet again, I have those old worries that the entire collection will get wiped out in a big one and I will have spent all that money and sweat and blood for nothing. But that worry doesn't stop me from wanting to plant more!

So I'll start:

My name is LivingParadise, and I'm a Plant Addict. Right now I'm dealing with a shortage of funds, and other critical priorities in life. But I am thinking that if I don't get a jump start on planting the species I want right away, in a few years the plants won't be there fruiting for me or making plant matter I can eat or providing medicine. So in my head, I am losing money if I wait. And who knows how many years I'll live here, or be alive at all? I feel a need to get started! I look online and there are so many cool plants I don't have yet! And now is the season when there are an abundance of great plants at local nurseries - if I wait they'll be all gone for another year! So the craving is hitting me really hard to buy and plant more. I've already abstained from new plant and seed purchases for about 7 months now, which is a really long time for me. I would give myself a treat and buy a few, but I'm saving the money for something else, and I'm not feeling well lately so it's not like I can easily start digging new holes in the yard.

Anyone else?  :)

Aaron

• SWFL
    • View Profile
    • http://nofogroves.com/
Re: PAA: Plant Addicts Anonymous Group Meeting - Ongoing
« Reply #1 on: June 06, 2017, 11:53:14 AM »
Just checking in.... Ill leave my Instagram if anyone needs any late night fix.

https://www.instagram.com/rarefruitaholic/

MarvelMango

• Bokeelia 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 06, 2017, 12:04:01 PM »

I am thinking that if I don't get a jump start on planting the species I want right away, in a few years the plants won't be there fruiting for me or making plant matter I can eat or providing medicine. So in my head, I am losing "time" if I wait. And who knows how many years alive at all? I feel a need to get started! I look online and there are so many cool plants I don't have yet! And now is the season when there are an abundance of great plants at local nurseries -

This
Quentin

Hana321

• la quinta, ca, 9B
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 06, 2017, 06:49:06 PM »
If you ask my fiance, i have a plant problem. I do not live on acerage, but i have bought a couple of thousand dollars on all varieties of plant life. I have filled my front and backyard. I easily spend an hour a day watering right now, and I love spending time among my little freen friends. I take it as a personal loss each time one dies or fails to do well. I continue to collect new varieties of just about anything. I love the rare stuff, and pride myself on growing odd plants not routinely found in every yard on the block. Nurseries are like a Christmas holiday for me. I could spend all day amongst the trees looking for perfect specimen. I have made a temporary agreement with my other half that i will refrain from adding new plants to my collection till next winter/spring. It will be tough, but i must try, as i have spent a small fortune on plant life. This year has been especially bad for some reason. He understands that this is a temporary break, and that i won't be stopped forever.

Viking Guy

• AKME Gardens
    • USA, AL, Silverhill, 8B
    • View Profile
    • AKME Gardens Website
« Reply #4 on: June 06, 2017, 08:48:54 PM »
I totally don't have a plant problem.  :o

LivingParadise

• Florida Keys, Zone 11a
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 07, 2017, 08:00:15 PM »
I totally don't have a plant problem.  :o

The first step is admitting it.  :)

baccarat0809

• Sunny Orlando, Florida
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 07, 2017, 08:06:54 PM »
Hi.  My name is Dan, and I'm a plant addict  ;D

LivingParadise

• Florida Keys, Zone 11a
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 07, 2017, 08:19:49 PM »
Hi.  My name is Dan, and I'm a plant addict  ;D

Hi Dan!    lol...

LivingParadise

• Florida Keys, Zone 11a
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 08, 2017, 08:56:55 AM »
OK, so temptation is getting to me. I got an email from Plantogram, and it led me to their website. Now, I try to stay away from Plantogram, because they're too rich for my blood. But, sometimes they have things that I can't get elsewhere, and so I did order from them twice before - and I must say, so far those plants have done pretty well. And, it's so damn convenient...

So I saw something they had that I would have a lot of trouble getting elsewhere in that size, and it's something I really want. So I was like, while I'm here, let me just add something else to the cart to make the shipping worth it, and to save time...  and before you knew it, it was an hour later, and my cart had over $1,000 worth of items in it, without even the shipping added on yet. Items I REALLY wanted. Items I know full well I don't have the energy or time to actually plant right now. So I just shut the whole window and lost the list of plants I had in the cart. But it haunts me, because I still want them. And if I wait until a better time of year financially and health-wise for me, it will be a terrible time of year to plant again, and they probably won't have them in stock anymore. Argh...

Is it so wrong to want some rare plants, to want to watch them fruit, to want to try something new? Even looking at the pictures gets me excited... I want to get in the car and drive to a nursery right now, current flooding and mosquitoes be damned! Ah well. Trying to be good.

Viking Guy

• AKME Gardens
    • USA, AL, Silverhill, 8B
    • View Profile
    • AKME Gardens Website
« Reply #9 on: June 08, 2017, 09:51:33 AM »
Plantogram is expensive, but man are they good.

I did a review of all of the mail-order nurseries that I could not long ago--ordering at least something from each of them.

They were the only company to carry two pre-sexed plants I needed, so bit the bullet and paid that ridiculous price.

That said, I rated the experience #1 out of all of the nurseries I ordered from.  My plants arrived the quickest (I mean 2 days after I placed the order, they were there at my home in the morning).  The box was designed, wrapped, positioned, weighted, supported and ventilated better than any other nursery (some by far).  There was little to no damage on the trees' leaves--which were full-on flushing.  The trunks were thick caliper, and pruned better and more uniformly with thick and properly spaced branches.  The pots were sealed properly and no loss of dirt, and high quality dirt mix to boot.

I had some nurseries that simply threw their trees in a box with bubble wrap, and it took them weeks to ship.  So, yeah POG is expensive, but they go all out to make sure you get what you pay for.

Now, I know that doesn't help your addiction, but one thing is for sure--take your time and shop around.  With a little digging, you'll find someone else carrying those trees.  Due to the price, only buy from POG if you 100% cannot find a tree.  Believe it or not, people here will trade with you all the time.

If you ask here for some items, our diligent members may even be able to help you find what you're looking for most reasonably.

Your addiction in Air-giving organisms isn't going away, but at least find a way to do it with frugality.  ;)
« Last Edit: June 08, 2017, 09:55:04 AM by Viking Guy »

AlwaysHotinFL

• Lakeland, FL Zone 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 08, 2017, 12:36:32 PM »
You guys should talk to the Jaboticabaholics, they've got 51 pages of problems.

http://tropicalfruitforum.com/index.php?topic=4238.0
-Casey

LEOOEL

• USA, South Florida, Miami, Temperature Zone 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 21, 2017, 10:39:05 PM »
It's nice to have the support of other fellow recuperating Plant Addict Anonymous members.

I must confess that I'm hooked on the latest Plant Addiction thing (no not that), which is the already here (tomato fruit, tomato tree, ...) and more to come, CRISPR (Cas9...) Gene Editing Technology for creating perfect quality fruit tree varieites and fruit.

I'm having difficulty when it comes to stop thinking about reliable, perfect quality, large fruit size, Xtremely small seed(s), and excessive, obscene fruit production quantities from CRISPR modified fruit varieties like: 'Edward' mango, 'Gigantea' and 'Hasya' Sapodilla, 'Peach' palm, Sugar-Apple, Mammee, Lychee, Longan, Spanish-Lime, Sweet-Tamarind, Avocado, Mamey, Guanabana (SourSop), Jackfruit, Citrus, Peach, ...

I almost ordered a real CRISPR home lab learning kit, in order to become a CRISPR perfect quality fruit tree and fruit developer scientist.

- OK, I feel much better now.
'Virtue' should be taught, learned and propagated, in order to save others and oneself.

Chupa King

• Puna, Hawai'i
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 21, 2017, 11:41:01 PM »
I am addicted... To all fruits. Especially the Chupa-Chupa.
Biodiversity is key.