Author Topic: Growing Yuzu and Sudachi in South Coastal British Columbia  (Read 1564 times)

manfromyard

• USA, Ga, 8a
    • View Profile
Growing Yuzu and Sudachi in South Coastal British Columbia
« on: December 03, 2020, 10:54:14 PM »
Mr. Duncan posted a nice video showing some hardy citrus being grown outside in Coastal Canada.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n5nbeHPjj2w

The sudachi looks super productive!

brian

• Pennsylvania (zone 6) w/ heated greenhouse
    • View Profile
Re: Growing Yuzu and Sudachi in South Coastal British Columbia
« Reply #1 on: December 04, 2020, 08:19:11 AM »
I got a sudachi from fourwinds this year and it fruited pretty heavily despite being a small size.

Millet

• Colorado
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 04, 2020, 04:59:35 PM »
Manfromyard,  thank you.  Great info video  - very valuable.   How about some information on the trees that you grow.  I am aware that you grow citrus outside under tunnel cultivation.

SoCal2warm

• zone 10 and zone 8a
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 04, 2020, 06:14:21 PM »
What I noticed is those fruits look more unripe and not very big in size, which is probably not surprising considering how far north they are and the much cooler climate temperatures in BC.

Which might not be too terrible thing, since the Japanese typically pick the Sudachi fruits before they are fully ripe, when they are more sour and have more flavor.

I've also noticed that citrus fruits grown in cooler climates like Europe seem to have a little bit thicker rinds.

SoCal2warm

• zone 10 and zone 8a
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 04, 2020, 06:34:51 PM »
Duncan's nursery is also in a part of Canada with very mild winters, North Saanich, BC, which a short 25 minutes away from Victoria, on Vancouver Island, and surrounded by plenty of water on all sides. By Canadian standards, this area is virtually downright subtropical (or at least as close to "subtropical" as it gets in Canada).

Some of that area very close to the water in Vancouver island is even designated to be in climate zone 9b, if you can believe that. Although it's a very "cold" climate zone 9b that doesn't see very much warm temperatures, and has very low cool temperatures for most of the year.
North Saanich is actually designated to be in 9a. Although that might be a tiny bit misleading because just 2 days out of the year they can also have nights that are more like the ones you would find in 8b, and occasionally during rare storms they will get temperatures that are closer to 8a. I know that was the case in the 2018-2019 winter from someone I was communicating with from Salt Spring Island (which happens to be just north of North Sannich).
He grows palms and eucalyptus trees, big ornamental Basjoo banana plants; and last I heard was experimenting with a semi-edible banana called Helen's Hybrid, but that didn't end up surviving that year due to the unusually cold temperatures that year, during a 3-day stretch in February.
That area (referring to Salt Spring Island and the east coast side of the southern part of Vancouver Island) got as cold at that time that year as the far south end of the Puget Sound did (down to Olympia) even though most winters that area does not get as cold.
« Last Edit: December 04, 2020, 06:59:12 PM by SoCal2warm »

manfromyard

• USA, Ga, 8a
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 04, 2020, 10:35:20 PM »
Manfromyard,  thank you.  Great info video  - very valuable.   How about some information on the trees that you grow.  I am aware that you grow citrus outside under tunnel cultivation.

I will have to make a thread and maybe take some pictures.
I actually have Yuzu and Sudachi myself, but will be giving the Yuzu to a friend of mine to cultivate for me.

Currently in ground, Citrangequat, Meyer Lemon, Yuzuquat.

Containerized: Sudachi, Bloomsweet, UGA Ichang and Changsha.