Author Topic: Surinam cherry 1 5/8  (Read 1606 times)

shaneatwell

• California, San Diego, sunset 23 and 18
    • View Profile
Surinam cherry 1 5/8
« on: March 30, 2021, 12:50:41 PM »
Patrick (buddy roo ) gave me a grafted ‘1 5/8’. Named after the size of fruit in inches. He can tell us more about the history.  I’m getting my first flowers now.

First here’s the flowers and buds of every other cultivar I have:

Here’s what the bid and flower look like for 1 5/8

Shane

K-Rimes

• Santa Barbara
    • View Profile
Re: Surinam cherry 1 5/8
« Reply #1 on: March 30, 2021, 12:53:00 PM »
Looking great. The size of the flower appears larger than normal, so, probably fruit too. Nice one!

socalbalcony

• California, South OC, 10B
    • View Profile
    • IG
« Reply #2 on: March 30, 2021, 03:45:20 PM »
looks awesome, keep us posted

brian

• Pennsylvania (zone 6) w/ heated greenhouse
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 30, 2021, 04:54:58 PM »
Do these come true/close from seed? 

I have a red and black surinam cherry seedling, both flowering now.   Waiting to see which tastes better.

simon_grow

• USA, San Diego, CA, Zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 30, 2021, 05:06:47 PM »
Hey Shane, that’s awesome, I’m starting to really like Surinam Cherries. Mark Lee/Jim Neitzel’s thick leaf Surinam is also a very large fruit. It’s as big as a 50 cent coin but I don’t have the exact measurements. Patrick’s selection looks very promising and I’d love to get a cutting in the future. Please keep us updated on the progress of this tree. I would love to see some pictures of the fruit along with Brix readings in the future!

Simon

shaneatwell

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 30, 2021, 05:09:19 PM »
Will keep y’all posted. It actually could be the same as that thick leaf one. He can jump in and clarify.
Shane

ScottR

• USA,Arroyo Grande,Calif. 93420,zone 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 30, 2021, 06:00:34 PM »
Very interesting size and named fruit, come on Patrick you can come up with a better name for sure!!
All kidding aside please do keep us informed when that baby fruits Shane!!

socalbalcony

• View Profile
    • IG
« Reply #7 on: March 30, 2021, 10:28:21 PM »
Hey Shane, that’s awesome, I’m starting to really like Surinam Cherries. Mark Lee/Jim Neitzel’s thick leaf Surinam is also a very large fruit. It’s as big as a 50 cent coin but I don’t have the exact measurements. Patrick’s selection looks very promising and I’d love to get a cutting in the future. Please keep us updated on the progress of this tree. I would love to see some pictures of the fruit along with Brix readings in the future!

Simon

Simon, would you be willing to sell any of those seeds/seedlings of the thick leaf variety, I end up in san diego quite often to visit the botanical gardens and such.

buddy roo

• Spring Valley, Ca.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 02, 2021, 11:01:37 AM »
Will keep y’all posted. It actually could be the same as that thick leaf one. He can jump in and clarify.
[/qHi Shane , it probably is the same as Jim's thick leaf as I got seeds in a seed swap of 7 varieties all at the same time and from 6 different people I do have at least 4 or 5 very distinct looking/shaped leaves and some really great fruit

buddy roo

• Spring Valley, Ca.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 02, 2021, 11:07:48 AM »
Very interesting size and named fruit, come on Patrick you can come up with a better name for sure!!
All kidding aside please do keep us informed when that baby fruits Shane!!
Hi Scott the others are named 1-2-3-4-5 , I am not really into the name naming thing , but I think the name "pork chop" would be a bit more fitting

Kevin Jones

• Alabama - USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 02, 2021, 01:32:28 PM »
Looks like a tiny Rosebud... Nice!

Kevin

shaneatwell

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 02, 2021, 01:44:25 PM »

Hi Shane , it probably is the same as Jim's thick leaf as I got seeds in a seed swap of 7 varieties all at the same time and from 6 different people I do have at least 4 or 5 very distinct looking/shaped leaves and some really great fruit

So the graft was from a 'thick leaf' seedling? Not 'thick leaf' itself?
Shane

shaneatwell

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 08, 2021, 11:59:03 PM »
I called Patrick. The one I have is a seedling of the so called thick leaf.
Shane

socalbalcony

• View Profile
    • IG
« Reply #13 on: April 09, 2021, 01:24:59 AM »
I called Patrick. The one I have is a seedling of the so called thick leaf.

if you get the chance, could you post a pic of the whole plant?

shaneatwell

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 09, 2021, 11:07:17 AM »
Mine or Patricks?

Here’s mine. And flowers buds. Sorry for the focus but you can see the typical flower is 2-3mm. The thick leaf seedling is almost 1cm.

« Last Edit: April 09, 2021, 11:27:31 AM by shaneatwell »
Shane

Galatians522

• Florida 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: April 10, 2021, 04:56:29 PM »
I am beginning to wonder if this is a tetraploid. That would definitely be one explanation for the increased flower, leaf, and fruit size over the normal Surinam Cherry.

zands

• mango_zango
    • Zone 10b, Florida, USA, 33321
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 11, 2021, 12:59:26 AM »
I was eating some plain old red Surinam Cherries. The kind that are for hedges. If you pick out the reddest of the red then 80-90 percent will be very good. A bird deposited a SC seed in just the right place. The tree is now 4 ft high and has cherries on it this year. I water it every day or other day. Better toss some fertilizer on it.

But I was also eating some from my neighbors hedge. You have to be patient for them to get as red as possible.

Epicatt2

• Fruit forest in progress . . .
    • Tampa, FL / Zone 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 11, 2021, 02:38:40 AM »
. . . I was also eating some from my neighbors hedge. You have to be patient for them to get as red as possible.

True, but you have to stay on top of them since once they are fully ripe they fall off the bush!

Sometime I can knock them loose by just lightly tapping them from below and catching them n my hand before they fall to the ground, but mine still have that sort of turpentiney taste, even when they are completely dark red.

I'm told that if you put a bowl of them in the 'fridge overnight that that off-flavor goes away and the taste is then a lot nicer.

JM2¢w . . .

Paul M.
==

zands

• mango_zango
    • Zone 10b, Florida, USA, 33321
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 11, 2021, 08:15:55 AM »
. . . I was also eating some from my neighbors hedge. You have to be patient for them to get as red as possible.

True, but you have to stay on top of them since once they are fully ripe they fall off the bush!

Sometime I can knock them loose by just lightly tapping them from below and catching them n my hand before they fall to the ground, but mine still have that sort of turpentiney taste, even when they are completely dark red.

I'm told that if you put a bowl of them in the 'fridge overnight that that off-flavor goes away and the taste is then a lot nicer.

JM2¢w . . .

Paul M.
==

Thanks. I will try refrigerating them. I will eat really red ones that have hit the ground. Of course the black varieties are the most reliably sweet with no off tastes that are similar to ??  gasoline smell? in the red ones. I spit it out if it has a really off taste.