Author Topic: Kwai Muk seedling  (Read 1403 times)

pinkturtle

• LA county, CA Zone 10B
    • View Profile
Kwai Muk seedling
« on: August 29, 2020, 02:13:44 PM »
First time germinate Kwai Muk seeds and it took over a year to germinated.  OMG.

« Last Edit: August 29, 2020, 08:44:31 PM by pinkturtle »

Mike T

• Zone 12a
  • Cairns,Nth Qld, Australia
    • Zone 12a
    • View Profile
Re: Kwai Muk seedless
« Reply #1 on: August 29, 2020, 07:00:01 PM »
Wow that is a long time and I'm a big fan of this fruit. On some trees they taste a lot better than others and can have fig like qualities. Getting seeds from seedless fruit can be a challenge.

bsbullie

• USA, Boynton Beach, FL 33472, Zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 29, 2020, 07:33:46 PM »
I think title of the thread was probably supposed to be seedlings, not seedless.
- Rob

Mike T

• Zone 12a
    • Zone 12a
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 29, 2020, 07:52:38 PM »
Yes I was just teasing but mind you I have seen seedlings of seedless guavas for sale and the seedless lin and long Laplae durians are often grown as seedlings. Some seedless fruits produce occasional seeds.

pinkturtle

• LA county, CA Zone 10B
    • View Profile
Re: Kwai Muk seedling
« Reply #4 on: August 29, 2020, 08:45:53 PM »
I think title of the thread was probably supposed to be seedlings, not seedless.

Haha.  Ops.  Changed.

achetadomestica

• FLORIDA 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 29, 2020, 09:21:24 PM »
Now you spelled oops wrong ( bad joke)

I would have gave up on the kwai muk seed after 3 months.
I did have some P hypoglauca seeds sitting in vermiculite for about 9 months before
I scarified the seeds. All germinated within 4 weeks. The shell was very thick and I had
to use a knife and actually went too deep and took out a little meat. It still germinated.
I wonder if that would have sped the process with the kwai muk seeds? I am anxious to
to try it again on some stubborn seeds

pinkturtle

• LA county, CA Zone 10B
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 30, 2020, 01:10:41 AM »
Haha... that is good to know.  I won't do it again.  I still have Ilama seeds that I planted during the beginning of this year are not germinated.  I heard Ilama seeds take a long time to germinated too.

Mike T

• Zone 12a
    • Zone 12a
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 30, 2020, 01:22:06 AM »
Ilama take between 2 weeks and 2 years. If you have tried the fridge, scraping them on concrete and GA3 like me and planted some with no action months later don;'t despair. Stir the potting mix up every few weeks and disturb stubborn seeds. Throw some in 600ppm for 10 hours again after they haven't sprouted or transfer to a warm ziplock bag with moist substrate. Those odd ones that germinate straight away give you optimism I know.

pinkturtle

• LA county, CA Zone 10B
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 30, 2020, 01:39:47 AM »
personally, I don't want to use any chemical, and I prefer organic.  I have a Ilama seedling about 5" tall now.  It grows very fast once germinated.

Mike T

• Zone 12a
    • Zone 12a
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 30, 2020, 01:44:51 AM »
GA3 is a naturally occurring plant hormone that just kick starts germination. I have 4 large fruiting trees of which 3 came from seeds sent from this forum's main moderator. Some did sprout straight away. I thought they would take longer to fruit than they actually did take.

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • USA, Big Island, East Hawaii, Zone 13a
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
« Reply #10 on: August 30, 2020, 02:38:06 AM »
Now you spelled oops wrong ( bad joke)

I would have gave up on the kwai muk seed after 3 months.
I did have some P hypoglauca seeds sitting in vermiculite for about 9 months before
I scarified the seeds. All germinated within 4 weeks. The shell was very thick and I had
to use a knife and actually went too deep and took out a little meat. It still germinated.
I wonder if that would have sped the process with the kwai muk seeds? I am anxious to
to try it again on some stubborn seeds

Kwai muk seeds don't have a hard shell.
Oscar

Mike T

• Zone 12a
    • Zone 12a
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 30, 2020, 04:17:20 AM »
That is true and they are small like good sized citrus seeds.

pinkturtle

• LA county, CA Zone 10B
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 30, 2020, 01:49:55 PM »
GA3 is a naturally occurring plant hormone that just kick starts germination. I have 4 large fruiting trees of which 3 came from seeds sent from this forum's main moderator. Some did sprout straight away. I thought they would take longer to fruit than they actually did take.

Is GA3 an organic product?  From what I read it is not, that is why I am not using it.

Thanks,
Al

Jaboticaba45

• Check out TN Tropical Fruits!
  • Tropical Fruit Tree Connoisseur
    • Chattanooga TN 7b
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 30, 2020, 03:31:43 PM »

Mind if I add on? ;)

Like fruitlovers said, artocarpus does not have a hard shell and should sprout within 2 weeks to 1 month. Once this gets bigger, I plan to graft it to jackfruit.

Mike T

• Zone 12a
    • Zone 12a
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 30, 2020, 04:50:46 PM »
Jackfruit might be a challenging rootstock for kwai muk as they are pretty different in quite a few ways. It is always good to try and find out.Lakoocha might be a better rootstock if you have it.

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • USA, Big Island, East Hawaii, Zone 13a
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
« Reply #15 on: August 30, 2020, 08:17:37 PM »

Mind if I add on? ;)

Like fruitlovers said, artocarpus does not have a hard shell and should sprout within 2 weeks to 1 month. Once this gets bigger, I plan to graft it to jackfruit.
I remember sprouting kwai muk seeds many years ago and they took several months to sprout. I believe it was about 3 months. I was surprised it took so long because most artocarpus seeds sprout extremely fast. I am guessing the kwai muks can have a dormancy period similar to some annona seeds. BTW i notice under my fruiting kwai muk there are thousands of volunteer plants. It seems that almost every single seed sprouts, even if they do take a long time.
Oscar

pinkturtle

• LA county, CA Zone 10B
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 30, 2020, 11:25:52 PM »
I have another seed in the other pot.  I thought it won't germinated so I putted some yellow dragon seeds into it.  Today I were trying to repotted the dragon fruit seedlings and I saw a little sprout is popping up from the Kwai Muk seed.  Maybe Kwai Muk seeds only germinate during this time of the year.  The rest of the time is in  dormancy status.
« Last Edit: August 30, 2020, 11:28:33 PM by pinkturtle »