Author Topic: Best White Sapote Variety? (California)  (Read 10356 times)

LycheeLust

• I need the seedless lychee
    • Los Angeles, 10A
    • View Profile
Best White Sapote Variety? (California)
« on: October 21, 2020, 04:12:39 AM »
So I've been looking at all the white sapote posts, but it seems like there's no clear white sapote winner.
Has anyone tried enough varieties to say one they like best? I don't like the bitterness that some varieties have.

giorgosgr.

• Attika, Greece zone 9b
    • View Profile
Re: Best White Sapote Variety? (California)
« Reply #1 on: October 21, 2020, 04:44:44 AM »
So I've been looking at all the white sapote posts, but it seems like there's no clear white sapote winner.
Has anyone tried enough varieties to say one they like best? I don't like the bitterness that some varieties have.

This is a very interesting subject, i have the same problem with finding out what is the best in California like climate.
But what would you consider best,
Best pulp/seed ratio, texture, fruit size?
Or purely best taste, with some distinct flavours?

LycheeLust

• Los Angeles, 10A
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 21, 2020, 04:49:16 AM »

This is a very interesting subject, i have the same problem with finding out what is the best in California like climate.
But what would you consider best,
Best pulp/seed ratio, texture, fruit size?
Or purely best taste, with some distinct flavours?

For me it’s flavor. I really like white sapote but the bitterness in some varieties annoys me. Sort of like how you can sometimes taste the astringency in persimmons. I’m not growing any white sapote yet, so I’m doing research lol

LycheeLust

• Los Angeles, 10A
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 23, 2020, 04:53:51 PM »
Bump. Can anyone help me choose which variety to grow?

Mike T

• Zone 12a
  • Cairns,Nth Qld, Australia
    • Zone 12a
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 23, 2020, 05:59:40 PM »
I am at the warmer limit for them with Reinecke and the belles dominating and they are good but could have better appearance and flesh yield. A couple of years ago a friend brought a fruit from his parents place that was bright yellow, immaculate skin and a real globe. I don't think it was golden globe but it was the best I ever tried and I suspect the globe style ones that are clean and bright might have the jump on many others.

ScottR

• USA,Arroyo Grande,Calif. 93420,zone 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 24, 2020, 11:23:40 AM »
Vernon is a very rich tasting fruit, nies can be excellent if leaf on tree till close to ripe, santa cruz, and more bland side suebelle which if true variety should have some fuzz on bottom side of leaf. Many nurseries sell suebelle but not true variety which was mixed up long ago so look for woolly underside on leaf for true suebelle. Lemon gold is supposed to be good one and cuccio is also good. It all depends on what you can find in area best of luck. 

giorgosgr.

• Attika, Greece zone 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 24, 2020, 04:02:57 PM »
Vernon is a very rich tasting fruit, nies can be excellent if leaf on tree till close to ripe, santa cruz, and more bland side suebelle which if true variety should have some fuzz on bottom side of leaf. Many nurseries sell suebelle but not true variety which was mixed up long ago so look for woolly underside on leaf for true suebelle. Lemon gold is supposed to be good one and cuccio is also good. It all depends on what you can find in area best of luck.

Could you describe santa cruz fruit? Size, colour and taste?

ScottR

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 24, 2020, 07:23:15 PM »
Hard to explain taste but size varies from small 2" diameter up too 3" diameter color yellow to yellow with some lime green when ripe. Taste is sweet but not as complex of a flavor as Vernon. Also taste depends on ripeness when over ripe can go into semi-rich caramel flavor. 

giorgosgr.

• Attika, Greece zone 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 25, 2020, 12:27:40 AM »
Hard to explain taste but size varies from small 2" diameter up too 3" diameter color yellow to yellow with some lime green when ripe. Taste is sweet but not as complex of a flavor as Vernon. Also taste depends on ripeness when over ripe can go into semi-rich caramel flavor.

Thank you very much!
So Vernon has the richest caramel like flavour in your opinion ?

shpaz

• Florida/Arizona
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 25, 2020, 09:16:59 AM »
Though I haven't tasted any of these, in my notes I have marked the following as potentially great varieties following various discussions on this forum throughout the years:

1. Fairhaven
2. Sunset
3. Vernon

In that order.

This thread has a lot of great info about these varieties: http://tropicalfruitforum.com/index.php?topic=22429.0

if you manage to find a Fairhaven or Sunset, please let me know  ;D
A passion for things that grow
https://attar-sa.com/

ScottR

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 25, 2020, 11:38:51 AM »

Thank you very much!
So Vernon has the richest caramel like flavour in your opinion ?
Yes, off all my varieties I like the rich taste of Vernon,Nies the best but some varieties I have have not fruited yet so might be another excellent tasting variety out there. Plus taste is different in everyone, have heard that Chestnut is supposed to have caramel flavor but mine hasn't fruited yet. Also depends on your growing climate I live close to Ocean within 2-3 miles as crow fly's, so have cooler Summers and wind.

Jack, Nipomo

• San Luis Obispo County, CA zone 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 25, 2020, 01:46:21 PM »
Always interesting to have a discussion on a favorite fruit, car, politician, etc.  Seems like one needs to gather a bunch of scionwood varieties, graft them on a single tree, in a given environment, water accordingly, and sample the fruit.  I was fortunate to participate in the collection of Bob Chambers' scionwood extravaganza and have sampled many of the varieties mentioned.  Most are grafted on existing trees (they graft as easily as apples, very forgiving).  In my opinion most are too sweet (like cherimoyas).  I prefer one that has ripened on the tree, has fallen, and is warmed by the sun.  It reminds me of custard.  Cut into large pieces and dried in my dehydrator, they are an excellent dried fruit which I use when backpacking.  One of my trees is over 40 years old (Pike/Vernon/Nettie) and is a true giant.  Grafted on a yellow sapote (Casimiroa tetrameria) it is a managable size about the size of a peach tree. I would not plant one near the house/septic tank/walkway.  At least they are quite drought resistant.

giorgosgr.

• Attika, Greece zone 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 25, 2020, 02:04:04 PM »
Always interesting to have a discussion on a favorite fruit, car, politician, etc.  Seems like one needs to gather a bunch of scionwood varieties, graft them on a single tree, in a given environment, water accordingly, and sample the fruit.  I was fortunate to participate in the collection of Bob Chambers' scionwood extravaganza and have sampled many of the varieties mentioned.  Most are grafted on existing trees (they graft as easily as apples, very forgiving).  In my opinion most are too sweet (like cherimoyas).  I prefer one that has ripened on the tree, has fallen, and is warmed by the sun.  It reminds me of custard.  Cut into large pieces and dried in my dehydrator, they are an excellent dried fruit which I use when backpacking.  One of my trees is over 40 years old (Pike/Vernon/Nettie) and is a true giant.  Grafted on a yellow sapote (Casimiroa tetrameria) it is a managable size about the size of a peach tree. I would not plant one near the house/septic tank/walkway.  At least they are quite drought resistant.

How does the dryed fruit compare to the fresh? Any new flavours develop?
Thanks

LycheeLust

• Los Angeles, 10A
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 25, 2020, 05:02:01 PM »
Though I haven't tasted any of these, in my notes I have marked the following as potentially great varieties following various discussions on this forum throughout the years:

1. Fairhaven
2. Sunset
3. Vernon

In that order.

This thread has a lot of great info about these varieties: http://tropicalfruitforum.com/index.php?topic=22429.0

if you manage to find a Fairhaven or Sunset, please let me know  ;D

Yeah I always hear about those varieties. I’ll keep looking for them. Thanks!

nexxogen

• Bar, Montenegro
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 26, 2021, 08:42:43 AM »
Guys, if you had to pick 5 of these 8 varieties, which ones would you choose? I'm primarily looking for flavor and the lack of bitterness. Sweetness and fruit size aren't important.

1. Suebelle
2. Vernon
3. Walton
4. Lemon Gold
5. Santa Cruz
6. Leroy
7. Younghans Gold
8. Nies

Chica_Sepote

• Bay Area, CA, 9B
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: February 26, 2021, 02:11:56 PM »
Also, if anyone has experience with Nettie, I'd be curious to hear. I have one growing but haven't tasted the fruit yet. I hope I didn't blow it with getting that variety.

K-Rimes

• Santa Barbara
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 27, 2021, 03:15:55 PM »
Also, if anyone has experience with Nettie, I'd be curious to hear. I have one growing but haven't tasted the fruit yet. I hope I didn't blow it with getting that variety.

Everyone says Nettie is delish, just small.

LycheeLust

• Los Angeles, 10A
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 27, 2021, 11:19:36 PM »
Guys, if you had to pick 5 of these 8 varieties, which ones would you choose? I'm primarily looking for flavor and the lack of bitterness. Sweetness and fruit size aren't important.

1. Suebelle
2. Vernon
3. Walton
4. Lemon Gold
5. Santa Cruz
6. Leroy
7. Younghans Gold
8. Nies

Sc400 once told me
here's what seems to come up a lot (as the best varieties):

- Rainbow

- Malibu

- Sunset

- Fairhaven

- Leroy

- Lemon Gold

- Cuccio

- Santa Cruz

- Redlands

RB

• Santa Clara, CA
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 28, 2021, 12:02:26 AM »
I was at Exotica nursery on Friday and picked up a grafted Sunset in a 5 gallon container.  There were a bunch if anyone is looking for this variety.

marklee

• Chula Vista, California Zone 24 or 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: February 28, 2021, 12:23:32 AM »
I wasn't a big fan of yellow sapote until I found a tree planted in a vacant field in Escondido in San Diego. The fruit is the yellow and a bit on the small size, but they taste like butterscotch or caramel. I've grafted up a few, I just call it Mary Ln.

Jack, Nipomo

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: February 28, 2021, 10:05:12 AM »
As far as I know, there are two "Malibu" cultivars in CA, Malibu#1, and Malibu #3.  Collected by past member John Moore from selected trees.

Nettie is a good fruit, has an interesting shape and looks like a pear hanging on the tree.  Seeds are smaller than some (like Pike).

There are different cultivars of the yellow sapote in CA; #7 and #8.  These were selected from a CRFG taste testing years ago, it was written up in an old yearbook.  The yellow sapotes grown here resemble a large mango, yellow and with small seeds.  Seeds are different than the white sapote in size and shape, being more compact.  Fruit taste is different than white sapote too.

sc4001992

• USA, CA, Fullerton
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: February 28, 2021, 04:40:49 PM »
Thanks Jack for the clarification. Yes, I'm new to growing the white sapote, only 4-5yrs, have not tasted more than a few of the varieties.

I appreciate the members who have contributed to my collection (up to 27 different ones) on my multi-grafted trees.
- Jack
- Robert
- JF
- Jonah
- Mike
- and many others

I did notice that some of my grafted varieties seem to like to produce flowers/fruits more frequently than others. The following 4 seems to flower well.
1. Cuccio
2. Nettie
3. Younghan's Gold
4. Fairhaven

Getting some small fruits on the Cuccio, Nettie, Fairhaven now. I need my grafts to grow larger so I can taste some good size fruits.
« Last Edit: February 28, 2021, 04:43:36 PM by sc4001992 »

sc4001992

• USA, CA, Fullerton
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: July 24, 2021, 10:08:16 AM »
Here's my Cuccio fruits on my grafted branch. The fruits on my small branch which is only 3 ft long are getting very large. There were 6 fruits on this cluster but it was just to crowded so I removed one so now it has 5 fruits. I'm not sure how much bigger these fruits will get but it is still growing. The largest fruit measured 12-3/4" in circumference. I will let you know how the taste is when I pick one when it gets a little soft/ripe.

Thanks to Bush2Beach who supplied this scion variety to my collection (28 varieties).

Jack, Nipomo

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: July 24, 2021, 03:06:03 PM »
Many varieties of white sapote are mentioned in this thread.  A great number were obtained from the massive collection of Bob Chambers and he generously allowed many of us onto the property to collect scionwood.  There is another variety of white sapote called Clytia, named after his wife who was involved in the annual CRFG yearbook.  All of these are worth propagating to continue Bob's legacy.  The collecting trip is http://www.whitesapote.com/index.htm  thanks to Harvey.

LycheeLust

• Los Angeles, 10A
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: July 24, 2021, 06:08:01 PM »
Here's my Cuccio fruits on my grafted branch. The fruits on my small branch which is only 3 ft long are getting very large. There were 6 fruits on this cluster but it was just to crowded so I removed one so now it has 5 fruits. I'm not sure how much bigger these fruits will get but it is still growing. The largest fruit measured 12-3/4" in circumference. I will let you know how the taste is when I pick one when it gets a little soft/ripe.

Thanks to Bush2Beach who supplied this scion variety to my collection (28 varieties).

Awesome!