Author Topic: Taiwan guava  (Read 1032 times)

pinkturtle

• LA county, CA Zone 10B
    • View Profile
Taiwan guava
« on: October 25, 2020, 08:28:25 PM »
I brought this taiwan guava from the local supermarket.  It is big, crunchy, not too much of the guava favor, it is more like eating a crunchy pear.   It looks like a emperor or pearl guava compared the pictures online.  I am going to germinate some of the seeds.  Hope it come out true.

free picture hosting
« Last Edit: October 25, 2020, 08:34:21 PM by pinkturtle »

pinkturtle

• LA county, CA Zone 10B
    • View Profile
Re: Taiwan guava
« Reply #1 on: October 26, 2020, 07:21:49 PM »
This one is from my tree.  Not fully ready, just want to try the taste.

Jaboticaba45

• Check out TN Tropical Fruits!
  • Tropical Fruit Tree Connoisseur
    • Chattanooga TN 7b
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 26, 2020, 08:01:10 PM »
When I am able to find these at the store, they almost always never ripen correctly and taste bad. I assume once tree ripened they have a better taste. They are not sweet imo, and I would rather eat a regular guava.

murahilin

• Administrator
    • USA Greenacres, Florida Zone 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 26, 2020, 08:28:52 PM »
When I am able to find these at the store, they almost always never ripen correctly and taste bad. I assume once tree ripened they have a better taste. They are not sweet imo, and I would rather eat a regular guava.

I usually eat them solid like an apple. I’ve never tried to let them ripen like I would with a pink guava.

I think you should try eating them “green”. I also like to dip them in salt as well.

I don’t recommend biting directly into the fruit but instead cutting it up into pieces because it can be too hard to bite directly into sometimes.
« Last Edit: October 26, 2020, 08:31:28 PM by murahilin »

pinkturtle

• LA county, CA Zone 10B
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 26, 2020, 10:22:24 PM »
I like to eat them when they are light yellow green.  Crunchy soft not too hard.

hawkfish007

• Highland, CA, 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 26, 2020, 10:41:28 PM »
I was looking for a pearl but couldn't find it anywhere, bought a generic Taiwanese guava from Champa instead which most likely came from Pine Island or an independent grower in Florida.  I will find out about the fruit next year hopefully, it flowered but didn't hold any fruit this year. I like guavas sweet and crunchy.

pinkturtle

• LA county, CA Zone 10B
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 27, 2020, 10:52:52 PM »
Looks really tasty, I was looking for this kind of guava in the supermarket but I couldn't find it, what a pity...

I have couple of suckers in the 1 gal pots, if you are live close the area, just come pick one up with no charge.

TnTrobbie

• runs with pruners
  • ZonePusher has a spot for that.
    • 10b + 9b FL
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 28, 2020, 11:53:36 AM »
I have a couple growing in ground, some sourced from PIN (Taiwanese and Vietnamese) and I do prefer to eat em with some yellow on em or when "rust spots" appear. They are quite hard to bite into directly- also due to their large size as well. So I cut with a knife. The taste of the skin is also a turn off for me. It can be bitter.
The Earth laughs in flowers. And bear gifts through fruits.
No where to plant it ...but at least I got it. ;)
F*ck squirrels and deers