Author Topic: What month does wax jambu flower?  (Read 3841 times)

dragon

• San Diego
    • View Profile
What month does wax jambu flower?
« on: April 04, 2017, 12:33:59 AM »
I 've bought 15 gallons green wax jambu for 3 years, but never flower. Two years ago, the tre died back half of the trunk from 5 ft to 2-3 ft. This year, it grows a lot of new leaves, but still no sign of bloom. Does anyone know what month it 's supposed to flower?

Vernmented

• Starry Nursery/Plant Hoarder/Zone Pusher/Biochar Enthusiast
    • USA, Florida, Sarasota, 9B/10A
    • View Profile
    • Starry Nursery Instagram
Re: What month does wax jambu flower?
« Reply #1 on: April 04, 2017, 12:37:41 AM »
One of mine is budding now.
-Josh

fyliu

• Burbank/Covina, CA 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 04, 2017, 12:54:03 AM »
My mom cuts off some of the growth to break the vegetative growth and maybe encourage flowering. You might try it to see if it works for you. I don't know if that method really works but seems like something you could try.

dragon

• San Diego
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 04, 2017, 01:50:41 AM »
One of mine is budding now.

How lucky you are! I wish my wax jambu can do the same.

My mom cuts off some of the growth to break the vegetative growth and maybe encourage flowering. You might try it to see if it works for you. I don't know if that method really works but seems like something you could try.

Thanks for your tips. Will try to trim all new growth tomorrow.

ftmyersfruit

• Lee County Florida 33907
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 04, 2017, 09:33:38 AM »
I planted one as a three gallon about 1.5 years ago. Hundreds of flowers forming now.

sildanani

• U.S.A OH, 6a
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 04, 2017, 12:47:39 PM »
How are they taste-wise compared to Malay apple? I read jambu can grow larger than Malay apple, but many jambu trees I've seen (in containers) were more compact. Also where did you all buy your trees/how did you propagate them? I tried one at the Fruit and Spice Park, but there were no viable seeds in it. I it wasn't properly pollinated? If they are good, I'd want to buy a tree, seeds, etc.
Anisha

Vernmented

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 04, 2017, 02:17:34 PM »
One I purchased was airlayered. The other two most likely originated from PIN and were probably cutting grown. I am going to try grafting onto S. malaccense and S. jambos seedlings in the near future. Both have large vigorous seeds. I really only want to put one Syzygium in ground here so multigrafting would be ideal for me. I think Wax Jambu seeds are very small.

The Wax Jambu that has buds on it was pretty neglected airlayer in a 3 gal rootpruner that I finally moved up into a 7gal when I saw the flower buds.
-Josh

CGameProgrammer

• San Diego (10b)
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 04, 2017, 03:07:37 PM »
Here in San Diego the buds form in May and bloom starting in June, and usually flowers are produced for a few months so I get ripe fruit August through November (four months of fruit). But in humid warm Florida it's much earlier for sure. I went to Miami in June last year and saw huge wax jambus full of and dropping fruit when my own tree had only just begun to flower.

Vernmented

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 04, 2017, 03:55:55 PM »

It certainly is nothing to be proud of but this should really take off in it's new home.

There is a funny story about this plant. Maurice Kong accidentally gave it to John Painter on Pine Island thinking it was a different Wax Jambu. He must have been saving this one in his own personal collection. Wayne Clifton tasted it and thought it was the best he has had. Really the only one he ever enjoyed. Painter let him take a cutting which he then rooted and started propagating as 'Painter's Red'.
-Josh

Samu

• North Tustin, So. California, Zone 10A
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 04, 2017, 10:47:00 PM »
Great to see your Wax jambu already blooming at that size!

Got mine at 1 or 3G fr TopTropicals in Feb 2015, been growing nicely in ground, but no bloom just yet. Tried a branch trimmed today, tomorrow I plan to install a dripper mist... my attempt  to "fool" the tree that she is still in Florida... ;D
Sam