Author Topic: Fruit sightings in San Diego  (Read 7320 times)

fyliu

• Burbank/Covina, CA 10a
    • View Profile
Re: Fruit sightings in San Diego
« Reply #25 on: June 25, 2017, 09:14:31 PM »
Simon, I'm not sure if you're interested but the Cotton Candy breeder will be having a grape tasting next month in the Bakersfield area. It starts at 8am though so I have to start driving around 6am even living a little to the north of LA.

simon_grow

• USA, San Diego, CA, Zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: June 26, 2017, 12:06:28 AM »
Thanks for the heads up Fang! Do you know if the breeder will be releasing any plants for retail sale to the general public? My yard is so small I wouldn't even have room to plant it at my place but if the plants are for sale, I would love to plant it at my friends house. Please let us know if that breeder has any other exceptional tasting grape varieties.

Simon

fyliu

• Burbank/Covina, CA 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: June 26, 2017, 12:06:05 PM »
I haven't heard of any changes since several years ago when we heard he wasn't releasing any plants. I can try to ask him if he's at the tasting. I'll take photos if he doesn't mind.

I'd like some of these varieties too. My dad wants to plant 40 around his yard for shade and barrier.

spaugh

• San Diego County California
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: June 26, 2017, 12:41:53 PM »
Simon, can you list out the stores you frequent?  I saw H mart, where is that?  Ive driven by the seafood mart you mentioned.  Are those the only 2 specialty places you frequent in Mira Mesa area?  I want to go check some of them out and Mira Mesa is about as far as I want to drive.  Its a 30 minute drive to get to mira mesa from where I live.  We have a sprouts and also a middle eastern market (forgot the name) on poway road.  They have some interesting stuff at the middle eastern place but I hate going there, the cashiers are pretty rude. 
Brad Spaugh

simon_grow

• View Profile
« Reply #29 on: June 26, 2017, 01:20:10 PM »
Hmart is in Mira Mesa off Mira Mesa Blvd there's an in n out burger in that shopping center. Lucky Seafood, Seafood City and Vinh Hung are all in Mira Mesa and Seafood city also sells fruit trees. The Mira Mesa Farmers market also has fruit like Cherimoya, Loquat, White Sapote and other stuff when they are in season. The farmers market was on Wednesday last time I checked. Lucky Seafood had excellent Rambutan last time I was there.

The Cotton Candy grapes were from Trader Joe's in Mira Mesa.

Simon

simon_grow

• View Profile
« Reply #30 on: December 20, 2019, 03:10:56 PM »
They have Korean Muscat grapes at Hmart in Mira Mesa. This is the first time seeing these so I paid the $20 for one bunch. They are sweet and Seedless with a slight yellow kiwi background flavor. An excellent grape but not worth $20 in my book.

Can’t upload pics. I’ll try later

Dimitry Fisher

• San Diego, CA, USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: December 20, 2019, 07:32:21 PM »
I bought longans at Mira Mesa Hmart a few times.  Tried sprouting the seeds, but not a single one sprouted.  Are they irradiated?  Or is there some trick to sprouting them?  Lychee on the other hand sprouts just fine.   Any ideas?
Happy Holidays!
Dimitry

simon_grow

• View Profile
« Reply #32 on: December 21, 2019, 01:49:21 PM »
Here are pictures of the Korean Muscat grapes

Simon

simon_grow

• View Profile
« Reply #33 on: December 21, 2019, 01:51:30 PM »
I bought longans at Mira Mesa Hmart a few times.  Tried sprouting the seeds, but not a single one sprouted.  Are they irradiated?  Or is there some trick to sprouting them?  Lychee on the other hand sprouts just fine.   Any ideas?
Happy Holidays!
Dimitry

I haven’t paid attention to the Longan but they could potentially be irradiated. Do you give bottom heat? Maybe try to find locally grown Longan as a seed source.

Simon

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk