Author Topic: Pruning main trunk of a Mallika mango tree  (Read 7707 times)

Herman

• View Profile
Pruning main trunk of a Mallika mango tree
« on: January 26, 2012, 12:43:28 PM »
Hi!

I just purchased a Mallika mango tree through mail order from Top Tropicals. It is grown in a 3 gallon container, and is around 4 to 5 feet tall. It only has a main trunk, and I would like it to be more spread out, like a bush, so I am thinking about pruning it. I would like to prune it down 2-3 feet, around 50%, so the main trunk would be 2.5-3 feet tall. The trunk girth where I would like to prune it is about half an inch thick. Is it too late to prune it that much? If it is not too late, at what time is the best to do it? Early spring?

Thanks in advance for your help!

Herman

murahilin

• Administrator
    • USA Greenacres, Florida Zone 10b
    • View Profile
Re: Pruning main trunk of a Mallika mango tree
« Reply #1 on: January 26, 2012, 01:29:11 PM »
Hi,
Welcome to the forum. I commented on your post about the same topic on GW. Any comments about what was suggested there? Puglvr including some excellent pics of pugging mango trees that may help you if you didn't check back the post.

Patrick

• Administrator
    • USA, Palm Beach, FL 33467, Zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 26, 2012, 01:44:12 PM »
Chop it back about a foot above the graft in spring...

bsbullie

• USA, Boynton Beach, FL 33472, Zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 26, 2012, 02:43:33 PM »
I wouldn't go that close to the graft...18" - 24" is a better distance from the graft.

Rob
- Rob

murahilin

• Administrator
    • USA Greenacres, Florida Zone 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 26, 2012, 03:00:31 PM »
I wouldn't go that close to the graft...18" - 24" is a better distance from the graft.

Rob

I don't think a foot is pushing it.

Herman

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 26, 2012, 03:02:23 PM »
Thanks Murahilin!  I just checked GW, and it was very helpful!  I didn't know that there is a term for what I want to do.  The pics from Puglvr  definitely is a big help! 

Thanks Pj1881 and Bsbullie for your replies!  The leaves appear 15 inches above the graft, so I'm thinking that I probably want to leave some on the tree.

Thanks,

Herman

bsbullie

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 26, 2012, 03:18:01 PM »

Rob

I don't think a foot is pushing it.
My thoughts are for two reasons:

1 - it give a little more space for buds to form as to not have the new branches to close to the graft; and

2 - in case there are any issues with damage or disease, you are not that close to the graft as to cause possible harm to the tree.

Again, there is no right or wrong here, its all opinions.

Rob
- Rob

FlyingFoxFruits

• Prince of Plinia
  • www.FlyingFoxFruits.com
    • USA, FEMA Region IV, FL Zone 9a
    • View Profile
    • Flying Fox Fruits
« Reply #7 on: January 26, 2012, 04:41:53 PM »
Hi!

I just purchased a Mallika mango tree through mail order from Top Tropicals. It is grown in a 3 gallon container, and is around 4 to 5 feet tall. It only has a main trunk, and I would like it to be more spread out, like a bush, so I am thinking about pruning it. I would like to prune it down 2-3 feet, around 50%, so the main trunk would be 2.5-3 feet tall. The trunk girth where I would like to prune it is about half an inch thick. Is it too late to prune it that much? If it is not too late, at what time is the best to do it? Early spring?

Thanks in advance for your help!

Herman

No Offense, Herman/ and Top Tropicals...

BUT!!!!!!

I have heard many mixed reviews of Top Tropicals...and have purchased from them in the past...the plants they sell are quite often healthy and properly labeled, depending on what you purchase...on the flip side....I've heard just as many individuals complain about wrong cultivar, species, and sickly plants...and have experienced about a 50-50 chance of getting a good tree from them.

I'd resort to purchasing from them only if these requisites are met:

Don't purchase cultivars of Annona, or varieties of Rare Garcinia( they are almost always sickly or improperly tagged)

Don't purchase Synsepalum subcordatum and expect to get what you saw growing in Bill Whitman's book 5 Decades..that plant is amazingly hard to source, and has huge 12inch or so leaves...they sell a larger leaved variety of miracle fruit (synsepalum dulcificum) improperly labeled as subcordatum, which has no miraculin (sweetening glycoprotien)

Be careful about the Golden Sugar Apple??? has anyone grown that one with good fruits??? Looks too much like A. glabra for me to fiddle with it, and take a chance of being the victim of shrewd shark sales tactics.

There  are several other plants with the same issue listed on their extensive website, which has many false, antiquated, and poorly evaluated plant informational profiles, presented about a vast array of fruit trees and plants...which have obviously been written by someone who has no experience with the plant in person, and is copying what they've heard or read elsewhere....

It's ok in general to purchase rare and hard to find plants from them  Typically you will be safer, if the tree is seed grown, and also if this is the preferred method for propagation.

I think mangos will be fine to purchase from them, being that Zill probably grafted them and they just stock them...and I'm sure they can produce quality grafted mango plants by themselves with ease.

Sorry I went into this big rant, but had to warn you about my experiences with them....have bought mislabeled plants from them in the past! with horrible fruits! Could be my fault I suppose, but my Lisa Atemoya tree from pine island with same care given and soil, etc...did wonderfully.

Pine Island seems to be my favorite nursery hands down...always have quality plants, good prices, and correct labels as much as possible!

HERMAN

Please post pics of your tree! Im curious to see leaves and quality of tree!  If you are leaving it in a pot, you may not want to prune it! Do you intend to grow it in the ground?

Thanks!!!

:)

« Last Edit: January 26, 2012, 04:44:35 PM by ASaffron »
www.FlyingFoxFruits.com

www.PLINIAS.com

https://www.ebay.com/usr/flyingfoxfruits

www.youtube.com/FlyingFoxFruits

https://www.instagram.com/flyingfoxfruits/
I disabled the forum's personal messaging system, please send an email to contact me, FlyingFoxFruits@gmail.com

Herman

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 26, 2012, 07:49:25 PM »
Thanks ASaffron for the information, and no offense taken!  This is my first tree that I have purchased through the mail, since it is difficult to find mango trees here in San Diego.  I decided to buy from TT because it was cheaper.  I hope that I got the right variety!

I'm planning on keeping it in container.  I'll post a pic of the tree.

Thanks!

Herman

FlyingFoxFruits

• Prince of Plinia
    • View Profile
    • Flying Fox Fruits
« Reply #9 on: January 26, 2012, 08:24:35 PM »
Thanks ASaffron for the information, and no offense taken!  This is my first tree that I have purchased through the mail, since it is difficult to find mango trees here in San Diego.  I decided to buy from TT because it was cheaper.  I hope that I got the right variety!

I'm planning on keeping it in container.  I'll post a pic of the tree.

Thanks!

Herman

I can look at the tree and tell just by growth habit and leaves (most of the time) and mango cultivars can be easily differentiated from each other by leaf, bloom and growth/fruiting habits....

Malika is an easy one for me to spot just by looking at leaves...but sometimes if the tree has been grown in different, or strange conditions, especially with low light levels, it can be hard to tell mango cultivars apart just from leaves alone...

Anxiously awaiting pics! ;)

and Oscar's response to my supposed Abiu flowers! >:( ;D ;) :-*
www.FlyingFoxFruits.com

www.PLINIAS.com

I disabled the forum's personal messaging system, please send an email to contact me, FlyingFoxFruits@gmail.com

Herman

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 26, 2012, 09:27:50 PM »
Here's some pics:

Thanks,

Herman
« Last Edit: January 26, 2012, 09:29:21 PM by Herman »

TropicalFruitHunters

• USA, Columbus, OH, xxxxx Zone 5b
    • View Profile
    • Tropical Fruit Hunters
« Reply #11 on: January 26, 2012, 09:51:43 PM »
I agree with Sheehan and would heed his advice first.  If you search back on the posts and pics by Puglvr, there is no one on this forum or any other forum that could argue the success she has had with pruning her mango trees as she does.  They are simply gorgeous and some of the finest shaped mango trees out there.  Why do you think we coined the phrase "pug" when referring to pruning?!!  If you are going to be growing this tree in a container, then that is just another reason for pugging the tree as suggested.  J

FlyingFoxFruits

• Prince of Plinia
    • View Profile
    • Flying Fox Fruits
« Reply #12 on: January 27, 2012, 12:42:01 AM »
Here's some pics:

Thanks,

Herman

Thanks for posting the pictures...looks like they just bought the tree from Zill,and it is in fact a properly labeled Malika, Mango...Does the pot have the initials MK? or something to that effect in yellow marker on the side?  If so I'm certain this is the case as stated above.

you never posted your location, or intentions for the trees ultimate growing environment...In the ground in FL? or in a pot in Canada?

If I was growing this tree in a pot, way outside of it's zone requirements, I would only cut the tree back minimally, maybe 6-8 inches per branch, and leave lots of wood if possible...you can always prune the heck out of it at a later date...I would only recommend such treatment if you are way up North...

Good Luck! I've had Malika, and its really nice and big fruited to boot! no fiber , xtra sweet! :)
www.FlyingFoxFruits.com

www.PLINIAS.com

bsbullie

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 27, 2012, 01:37:30 AM »
Here's some pics:

Thanks,

Herman

Thanks for posting the pictures...looks like they just bought the tree from Zill,and it is in fact a properly labeled Malika, Mango...Does the pot have the initials MK? or something to that effect in yellow marker on the side?  If so I'm certain this is the case as stated above.

you never posted your location, or intentions for the trees ultimate growing environment...In the ground in FL? or in a pot in Canada?

If I was growing this tree in a pot, way outside of it's zone requirements, I would only cut the tree back minimally, maybe 6-8 inches per branch, and leave lots of wood if possible...you can always prune the heck out of it at a later date...I would only recommend such treatment if you are way up North...

Good Luck! I've had Malika, and its really nice and big fruited to boot! no fiber , xtra sweet! :)
He did divulge this info.  Location - San Diego, plans on keeping in a pot.

By the way, sorry to disagree with you but this does not look like the typical mango from Zills.
- Rob

FlyingFoxFruits

• Prince of Plinia
    • View Profile
    • Flying Fox Fruits
« Reply #14 on: January 27, 2012, 02:07:55 AM »

He did divulge this info.  Location - San Diego, plans on keeping in a pot.

By the way, sorry to disagree with you but this does not look like the typical mango from Zills.

NO big deal, could be grafted by someone else totally...I could be wrong, jut my guess by looking at pictures and comparing to what I see at nurseries in FL....I'm not sure who grafts trees of mango on a large scale other than Zill....Not sure also if Toptropicals can compete with Zills pricing and amazingly nice trees....or if toptrop is gonna waste time paying someone to graft trees, that they can purchase for 15 from Zill and sell for 40 with ease online....

Like I said no offense taken, I may not have accurately assessed the trees origin.

NOW LOOKING BACK AND MODIFYING MY POST, I THE GREEN NURSERY TIES AREN"T CONSISTENT WITH ZILL...maybe it was grafted by top trop, or Tree House???? my  only two guesses...unless hopkins grafts them to....i think they get em from Zill tho...not sure
« Last Edit: January 27, 2012, 02:11:17 AM by ASaffron »
www.FlyingFoxFruits.com

www.PLINIAS.com