Author Topic: Composted manure: any good for mango trees?  (Read 581 times)

rainking430

• USA, Florida, Jupiter Farms
    • View Profile
Composted manure: any good for mango trees?
« on: June 14, 2021, 05:02:18 PM »
Someone I know said they had good success with using composted manure, but I'm a bit skeptical. The bags I've seen say .05-.05-.05 so if anything I might add some 0-0-50 potash. I did search this site for posts about it but couldn't really find anything definitive. Any thoughts?

FMfruitforest

• Tropical Fruit
    • USA, FL,zone 10a
    • View Profile
Re: Composted manure: any good for mango trees?
« Reply #1 on: June 14, 2021, 07:21:56 PM »
Composted Manure is the $hit, im sure all your trees would benefit from a lite sprinkling. You should have seen the worm activity in this pile!

cbss_daviefl

• USA, Southwest Ranches,FL 33331, 10B
    • View Profile
    • bfgtropicals.com
« Reply #2 on: June 14, 2021, 07:55:35 PM »
That stuff is very low in nutrients. Compared to an 8-3-9, you have to use 180 pounds of compost for an equivalent amount of potassium in 1 pound of chemical fertilizer.  On a mature tree, you have to use 540 pounds. If you want to use bagged composted manure, use black kow which is 10 times stronger. The higher phosphate of a balanced fertilizer can cause iron deficiency.
Brandon

rainking430

• USA, Florida, Jupiter Farms
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 14, 2021, 09:29:13 PM »
That stuff is very low in nutrients. Compared to an 8-3-9, you have to use 180 pounds of compost for an equivalent amount of potassium in 1 pound of chemical fertilizer.  On a mature tree, you have to use 540 pounds. If you want to use bagged composted manure, use black kow which is 10 times stronger. The higher phosphate of a balanced fertilizer can cause iron deficiency.

Yeah that's actually part of the argument for using composted manure. Rather than promoting the typical nitrogen-phosphate-potash "macro" nutrients in fertilizer, from what I am seeing manure is more meant to add lots of organics and "micro" nutrients to the soil. Supposedly it acts as a sort of tree probiotic for the soil, similar to how probiotics in humans promote easier digestion of nutrients in food. or so they say, still kind of on the fence on that one.

And besides, from what I recall seeing others posting here, my impression is that nitrogen and phosphate do more harm than good for mango trees. So it seems normal numbered fertilizers are somewhat discouraged for mangos. At least that's been my impression.

cbss_daviefl

• USA, Southwest Ranches,FL 33331, 10B
    • View Profile
    • bfgtropicals.com
« Reply #4 on: June 14, 2021, 10:17:18 PM »
I have been applying black kow to my lychee trees since the start of the year and so far it is not going well. I applied 50lbs to each tree in January and again in April. The trees are a general yellow, which I believe indicates nitrogen deficiency. The grass is greener around the trees where the manure was spread so there is definitely some nitrogen available. I used Helenas 8-2-12 after picking most of my fruit and will switch back to black kow in the fall.
Brandon