Author Topic: Killing pots  (Read 1571 times)

gnappi

• South East Florida (U.S.A) Zone 10A
    • View Profile
Killing pots
« on: April 16, 2016, 09:49:19 AM »
I have two large concrete pots left on my property over 8 years ago that were buried in yard debris by the PO.  Every tree I put in them has languished... they leaf out, die back, leaf out again while everything else I have in clay, ceramic and plastic pots have done very well.

These planters are NOT new but I wonder if  there is something leaching from the concrete thar the trees do not like?

Has anyone else had good or bad experiences with concrete pots? I stupped using them for trees but would like to keep them on my patio with SOMETHING in them... maybe a fake tree? :-)
Regards,

Gary

DimplesLee

• frustrated permie
    • PHL&AUS
    • View Profile
Re: Killing pots
« Reply #1 on: April 16, 2016, 10:39:07 AM »
Concrete pots leach lime - turns the potting mix extremely alkaline. I think based on DIY hypertufa pot guides on the web (they say this is a must for new pots - I think it's also a necessity for old pots but thorough cleaning would be required first!) is to soak the pot in water for at least two weeks (completely submerged, change water at least once daily) then let it dry out then apply two to three coats of concrete sealer.

I usually add a bottle of vinegar to the water on the 4th and 8th day (so if you change water daily, then that means the pot would have had 2 vinegar water soaks) - doesn't matter how large or small the bottle is, as long as you mix in some vinegar in during the soak and rinse process.

I use my hypertufa pots on ornamental succulents only though and sanseverias so YMMV - not sure what other plants wouldn't mind being rehomed in concrete pots.

EDIT: I realised if your pot is too large to fit in any rubbermaid tote or even an IBC, perhaps using pond membrane as liners to at least insulate the roots and keep them away from the concrete would be more economical/practical?
« Last Edit: April 16, 2016, 10:42:07 AM by DimplesLee »
Diggin in dirt and shifting compost - gardeners crossfit regime :)

gnappi

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 16, 2016, 11:37:14 AM »
Yeah, I figured the pots were leaching lime and other things but these pots were OLD when I unearthed them. I chalked the tree problems to bad tree, bad soil...

I previously lost a Persian lime and a guava, I'm hoping the alahabad guava and San Pablo custard apple I recently removed and put in the ground recover.
Regards,

Gary

gnappi

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 16, 2016, 11:38:15 AM »
Yeah, I figured the pots were leaching lime and other things but these pots were OLD when I unearthed them. I chalked the tree problems to bad tree, bad soil...

I previously lost a Persian lime and a guava, I'm hoping the alahabad guava and San Pablo custard apple I recently removed and put in the ground recover.

Ps... Anyone in So Fla want 2 large concrete pots free?
Regards,

Gary

HIfarm

• Paukaa, HI, USA zone 12b
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 16, 2016, 12:26:53 PM »
Gary,

If you can clean them thoroughly enough, maybe it is worth trying to paint the interior of the pots with something to seal concrete & prevent it from leaching into the soil.  You could use paint or perhaps even one of the tar roof coatings.  (not endorsing the roof coating as I haven't tried it but it should seal well).

John

kingoceanos

• U.S.A. Texas,Conroe 77303 8B
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 16, 2016, 04:37:21 PM »
I think figs like alkaline soil and there are some dwarf types.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk