Author Topic: Maesobotrya barteri  (Read 1509 times)

akanonui

• zone 6b, Southeast Michigan. But I have a greenhouse.
    • View Profile
Maesobotrya barteri
« on: July 11, 2017, 11:27:16 PM »
I sprouted M. barteri successfully about 5 months ago and I've managed to survive 1 seedling, but everytime it grows leaves they turn brown and die, only to grow more and repeat the same process. The main stem is still alive and it keeps growing new leaves but I cant figure out for the life of me why they keep dying. I have the seedling in a ziplock bag to replicate the high jungle humidity but could this be too much humidity?

HIfarm

• Paukaa, HI, USA zone 12b
    • View Profile
Re: Maesobotrya barteri
« Reply #1 on: July 12, 2017, 02:39:00 PM »
I have tried this one but the end result was the same for all -- they all eventually died.  I got very good germination (I'm thinking I had about 7 germinate, if I recall correctly) but I gradually lost them all after maybe 1 1/2 yrs.   I did get some that had multiple leaves & started to look like a little tree but would take a turn for the worst.   It sounds like an interesting fruit so I think I will try them again at some point. 

I would suspect you may have them too damp if you are keeping the seedling in a baggy.  I think I may have lost some to fungal problems.  The baggy may not be a bad idea but I would make sure the baggy is large enough that the seedling is not in direct contact to it and perhaps punch a few small holes in the bag so that it can keep it humid but not too humid.

John

akanonui

• zone 6b, Southeast Michigan. But I have a greenhouse.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 13, 2017, 10:29:26 PM »
thank you, I'll try that! They seem very finicky indeed.

SoCal2warm

• zone 10 and zone 8a
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 13, 2017, 10:49:59 PM »
You might want to try distilled water, some seedlings can be very sensitive to the traces of chlorine in water from your faucet.
Too much sunlight can also sometimes burn leaves of sensitive small plant seedlings because of the ultraviolet, or the excessive heat (which can cause the leaves to dry out). You could try an LED grow lamp.
Make sure the temperature is not dropping below about 62 F at night.
Instead of a small bag, I would create a larger space inside for the seedling by putting two clear plastic disposable cups on top of each other. That should still hold the humidity.
« Last Edit: July 13, 2017, 10:59:59 PM by SoCal2warm »

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk