Author Topic: HMHausman Daily Office Mango Tasting Tables Beginning 6/3/15  (Read 6071 times)

HMHausman

• Mod Emeritus
    • USA, Fort Lauderdale, Broward County, Florida, Zone 10B
    • View Profile
    • Pines Ticket Defense, LLC
On today's table was the first of the year Maha Chanok (a drop), PPK, Fairchild, Haden, Sweet Tart,  Florigon, and Cushman.  The winner, for today anyway, was Cushman with Maha Chanok following up a close second.

Please remember that from tasting to tasting, the results can vary with the ripeness of the particular fruits.  The eating quality of all of these mangoes ranged from Haden at Good to the others as all being Excellent.

Sorry.....I was remiss in not taking pics of the platter.  My sincere apologies.
« Last Edit: June 12, 2015, 02:24:02 PM by HMHausman »
Harry
Fort Lauderdale, FL 
USA

fisherking73

• Hollywood (Broward county), Florida Zone 10b
    • View Profile
Re: Today's (6/3/2015) Mango Tasting Table
« Reply #1 on: June 04, 2015, 05:18:05 PM »
"Drool"

JF

• North OC California Zone 10B/America Tropical 13A
    • 90631/97000
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 04, 2015, 05:19:59 PM »
On today's table was the first of the year Maha Chanok (a drop), PPK, Fairchild, Haden, Sweet Tart,  Florigon, and Cushman.  The winner, for today anyway, was Cushman with Maha Chanok following up a close second.

Please remember that from tasting to tasting, the results can vary with the ripeness of the particular fruits.  The eating quality of all of these mangoes ranged from Haden at Good to the others as all being Excellent.

Sorry.....I was remiss in not taking pics of the platter.  My sincere apologies.

Wow, cushman I've tried have been so mild but not surprising since mangos can vary so much

Pan Dulce

• Central Florida
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 04, 2015, 05:34:53 PM »
I want a seat!  ;) ;D ;D

cbss_daviefl

• USA, Southwest Ranches,FL 33331, 10B
    • View Profile
    • bfgtropicals.com
« Reply #4 on: June 04, 2015, 05:53:36 PM »
I am not surprised that Cushman took a tasting table.  I love them!

Were those Sweet Tarts from the not quite ripe left overs from Saturday? I still have not eaten a sweet tart from my tree. 

Brandon

bsbullie

• USA, Boynton Beach, FL 33472, Zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 04, 2015, 06:03:57 PM »
I have eaten one excellent Sweet Tart this year and lost one and a half to rodents.  Seems as if they are quite fond and attracted to the smell/taste of Sweet Tart.

I love Cushman also but its growth habit and average to below average production is a bummer.
- Rob

bsbullie

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 04, 2015, 06:06:12 PM »
I will add that Sweet Tart, like its parent the ZINC, must be picked at a certain minimum of ripeness stage or it will be chalky, pasty and nit ripen or flavor up.
- Rob

HMHausman

• Mod Emeritus
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 04, 2015, 06:22:03 PM »
I am not surprised that Cushman took a tasting table.  I love them!

Were those Sweet Tarts from the not quite ripe left overs from Saturday? I still have not eaten a sweet tart from my tree.

Yes, it was left over from Saturday. It probably wasn't at peak of ripeness.
Harry
Fort Lauderdale, FL 
USA

gunnar429

• Nothing like fruit from your own yard!
    • West Park, FL 33023, Zone 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 11, 2015, 07:03:23 PM »
Had the pleasure of visiting Harry's office for a tasting today.  What a great time!  Thanks, Harry.

Here is how I rated them:
Top Tier: (Top 3 could all hold their own...all outstanding mangoes IMHO.
1. Maha Chanok...what an experience.  It had such a juicy,complex flavor with floral, subacid, and sweet.  Great texture too.  Ate them til they were gone.

2.  PSM:  Many people may disagree with me but I love PSM...and I don't love green mangoes.   There's just something about the sweet flavor that I love...Always top tier for me.

3.  Angie:  Have heard a lot of flak lately about Angie, so I was a little worried, as I have the tree planted out.  It was great!!  Hard to describe but it was sweet, with some subacid and a smooth texture.  When all was said and done, we were devouring Maha and Angie more than any of the others.

Still Top Tier (but far behind the top 3):
 4. Southern Blush:  mild flavor, but great texture, and tasted like a mild pineapple in a good way. 

5.  PPK:  I love PPK, but I have to rank it below the others because it is not a mango to me...it is like candy...I can't eat that many PPKs, especially if not fully ripe (yellow) when picked.  I can see why some people wouldn't like this mango...Having said that I will definitely be planting it in my yard.  Just not the kind of thing that I can devour all night.

Mid-Tier:  (A mango that would be great if that was all you knew about...if you had only 1 tree...or only a few.)

6.Seedling (suspected Thai Everbearing x Cushman):  Had sme fiber IIRC, but much better than a cushman to me (Because I don't like cushman (as noted below).  Had a good, complex flavor, but not in the top tier and had some fiber (though the way we cut it from the seed/skin, it was not a problem at all...definitely the best of the non-Top tier mangoes on the table today.

7.KP:  definitely not a bad mango...Probably a little overripe, but still had a good flavor and the texture was nice--no fiber on this one (as has been debated recently).   Wasn't in the top-tier by any means, but if you had a tree, it wouldn't be a problem for you.

8. Maha seedling:  had a little fiber IIRC.  The flavor was washed out/or perhaps always mild ???  Again, wouldn't really be worth planting over others but if you had it, it would not be a problem.

9. Nam Doc Mai:  Again, not bad, but lacks the flavor complexity I prefer, but overall had good texture and was fiberless...one of the best NDM I have had...still not really my cup of tea.

Didn't care for:

Haden:  I usually like Haden, but this particular fruit/ tasting against other excellent mangoes, left this one on the platter at the end--untouched after the first bite or 2.

Florigon:  It has great disease resistance, and there is just something about it that I do not care for--year in year out.

Cushman:  Most are probably going to like this mango, but like the Florigon, there's just something about Cushman I don't like--kinda vegetably but hard to explain...just don't like it--but for many it's a top-tier mango.

~Jeff

"Say you just can't live that negative way, if you know what I mean. Make way for the positive day." - Positive Vibration

mangomanic12

• Phoenix, AZ
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 11, 2015, 07:18:09 PM »
"There's just something about the sweet flavor that I love...Always top tier for me."

I feel they same way Gunnar . I have tasted a lot of varieties between the F&S Park , TT, Squam's Place , Members' yard , Fruitscape and no matter the newer variety i tasted there is something about the taste and texture that now makes it My favorite. I suspected it last year but confirmed  this year. Who knows this may change in the future but the last 2 years ...still my fav.Glad i planted one out last year . It's currently has new growth going now.

Thanks for the great update. Goes to show the differences in an individual taste buds / harvest times / soil / weather all has some kind of effect  on fruit tastes somehow !

bsbullie

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 11, 2015, 09:16:58 PM »
Cushman having a vegetable flavor???  Cushman is an outstanding mango.   If the tree had a better growth habit and produced more reliably,  it would be a widely plan t ed and loved variety.
- Rob

DurianLover

• Bali, Indonesia
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 11, 2015, 10:47:41 PM »
"There's just something about the sweet flavor that I love...Always top tier for me."

I feel they same way Gunnar . I have tasted a lot of varieties between the F&S Park , TT, Squam's Place , Members' yard , Fruitscape and no matter the newer variety i tasted there is something about the taste and texture that now makes it My favorite.

Did you manage to find a single Lemon Zest? I had several Mahas from Harry's trees for comparison and Maha bows down to the King of Mangos!

gunnar429

• Nothing like fruit from your own yard!
    • West Park, FL 33023, Zone 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 11, 2015, 11:00:32 PM »
Cushman having a vegetable flavor???  Cushman is an outstanding mango.   If the tree had a better growth habit and produced more reliably,  it would be a widely plan t ed and loved variety.

To each his own.  Had them several different places 2 years in a row, and neither the wife nor I like the flavor.
~Jeff

"Say you just can't live that negative way, if you know what I mean. Make way for the positive day." - Positive Vibration

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • USA, Big Island, East Hawaii, Zone 13a
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
« Reply #13 on: June 12, 2015, 05:28:32 AM »

What Harry? No photos? No photos, then it didn't really happen!  ;)  Good thing you have some material witnesses.
Oscar

HMHausman

• Mod Emeritus
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 12, 2015, 11:59:44 AM »
My attempts to upload my recent photos from this tasting have been met with an error message on Postimage.org.  I haven't given up.
Harry
Fort Lauderdale, FL 
USA

bsbullie

• View Profile
« Reply #15 on: June 12, 2015, 12:28:56 PM »
My attempts to upload my recent photos from this tasting have been met with an error message on Postimage.org.  I haven't given up.

i recently received error messages too.
- Rob

HMHausman

• Mod Emeritus
    • View Profile
Re: HMHausman Mango Tasting Tables Beginning 6/3/15
« Reply #16 on: June 12, 2015, 01:30:00 PM »
OK...its working again.  Here is the platter from 6/11/15 with Jeff (Gunnar429):

Harry
Fort Lauderdale, FL 
USA

MangoFang

• Palm Springs, CA, Zone 9B
  • Palm Springs, CA
    • Riverside, Palm Springs/CA, 92264,9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 12, 2015, 01:33:22 PM »
Yeah, I can only drool so much without PHOTOS!!!!

;)

...oh.....there they are....GOD BLESS YOU, Harry!

Gary

FlyingFoxFruits

• Prince of Plinia
  • www.FlyingFoxFruits.com
    • USA, FEMA Region IV, FL Zone 9a
    • View Profile
    • Flying Fox Fruits
« Reply #18 on: June 12, 2015, 01:38:07 PM »
OK...its working again.  Here is the platter from 6/11/15 with Jeff (Gunnar429):

Nice platter!!!

I haven't eaten a mango this season yet (that's about to change if all goes well, I'm placing an order with Squam at Tropical Acres Farm ASAP!)

that's enough fruit to put some mango fragrance in your pee stream!

www.FlyingFoxFruits.com

www.PLINIAS.com

https://www.ebay.com/usr/flyingfoxfruits

www.youtube.com/FlyingFoxFruits

https://www.instagram.com/flyingfoxfruits/
I disabled the forum's personal messaging system, please send an email to contact me, FlyingFoxFruits@gmail.com

Future

• The Future
    • View Profile
Re: HMHausman Daily Office Mango Tasting Tables Beginning 6/3/15
« Reply #19 on: June 12, 2015, 02:49:14 PM »
"PPK is not a mango.  It is candy."

Hilarious...true.

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
« Reply #20 on: June 12, 2015, 07:00:05 PM »
Harry, i see that your mangoes have as much anthracnose on them as mine. Does that mean you also are not spraying any copper on your trees?
Oscar

HMHausman

• Mod Emeritus
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: June 12, 2015, 07:06:38 PM »
Harry, i see that your mangoes have as much anthracnose on them as mine. Does that mean you also are not spraying any copper on your trees?

Yes, you are quite correct in that assumption.  I sprayed nothing.....no sulfur and no copper.  I did spray a couple of trees with some neem oil that had infestations of mealy bugs and scales.  But those were relative new plantings.
Harry
Fort Lauderdale, FL 
USA

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
« Reply #22 on: June 12, 2015, 07:09:40 PM »

Yes, you are quite correct in that assumption.  I sprayed nothing.....no sulfur and no copper.  I did spray a couple of trees with some neem oil that had infestations of mealy bugs and scales.  But those were relative new plantings.

Do you use fruit fly traps?
Oscar

HMHausman

• Mod Emeritus
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: June 12, 2015, 07:12:25 PM »
No....fruit fly traps are not necessary here for mangoes or lychees.  Our Carib fly sticks to guava, grumichama, surinam cherry and the like.
Harry
Fort Lauderdale, FL 
USA

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
« Reply #24 on: June 12, 2015, 07:15:12 PM »
No....fruit fly traps are not necessary here for mangoes or lychees.  Our Carib fly sticks to guava, grumichama, surinam cherry and the like.

You're lucky!!! Big problem over here.
Oscar

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk