Author Topic: Lemon Zest Skin Coloration  (Read 6148 times)

HMHausman

• Mod Emeritus
    • USA, Fort Lauderdale, Broward County, Florida, Zone 10B
    • View Profile
    • Pines Ticket Defense, LLC
Lemon Zest Skin Coloration
« on: June 27, 2015, 09:31:05 PM »
Most of the Lemon Zest mangoes I have seen have been uniformly golden yellow in color.  However, one fruit I had on one of my trees had an unusual green coloration which I had never seen on any mango before.  Has anyone seen this?  The eating quality of the fruit seemed unaffected by the unusual skin color.

Harry
Fort Lauderdale, FL 
USA

johnb51

• USA Deerfield Beach, FL Zone 11a
    • View Profile
Re: Lemon Zest Skin Coloration
« Reply #1 on: June 27, 2015, 09:38:42 PM »
The lady at Zill High Performance Plants (I think she's Gary Zill's sister because she said the Carrie mango was named after her mother) told me that those markings are normal on Lemon Zest mangos.  She called them "birthmarks."
John

bsbullie

• USA, Boynton Beach, FL 33472, Zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 27, 2015, 10:52:13 PM »
Harry - as Sheehan would say, do some searching on the forum.  This has been discussed before.  Hahahahahaha.

Yes, very normal to have tye green motyling on the skin.  Doesnt have to have it but very charcteristic of the 27-1.  Birthmark, eh, dont know if that is the correct term or not but i have heard this mentiined in discussions of various mangoes having such mark from Walter, so it would make sense that Marlys  (the woman John describes above) would say this also.
- Rob

HMHausman

• Mod Emeritus
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 27, 2015, 11:04:38 PM »
Did a google search of the forum, didn't come up with anything.  Do you remember the thread name?
Harry
Fort Lauderdale, FL 
USA

bsbullie

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 27, 2015, 11:24:36 PM »
Did a google search of the forum, didn't come up with anything.  Do you remember the thread name?

Dont remember the name, just know i referred to the mottling on multiple posts on this forumvand the "other" old forum.
- Rob

HMHausman

• Mod Emeritus
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 28, 2015, 08:44:28 AM »
OK...so the key word that gets us to the search results is the word "mottling." Here's a post from 2012.  I hadn't used the word mottling and so the search was ridiculously extensive and unproductive as Lemon Zest is quite a popular post subject

ok, here are the pictures:

both LZ and OS in this picture (LZ, top, has the green mottling)

Two LZs (that is not anthracnose or disease on the skin, that is the classic green mottling coloration found on the LZ)

two OSs (no green mottling and a paler yellow/gold color when ripe,,,also a smaller mango)

Harry
Fort Lauderdale, FL 
USA

savemejebus

• Coral Springs, FL
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 28, 2015, 09:18:09 AM »
Is there a reason we don't have an advanced search function on the forum? As far as I can tell we're limited to keyword searches as opposed to searching by author, date, etc.

gunnar429

• Nothing like fruit from your own yard!
    • West Park, FL 33023, Zone 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 28, 2015, 09:24:27 AM »
I hear ya.  I have been trying to find Patrick's mango spraying regimen/routine for almost 30 mins now.  It's all about finding the right keyword  >:(

no luck yet...PM me if you have the link
~Jeff

"Say you just can't live that negative way, if you know what I mean. Make way for the positive day." - Positive Vibration

bsbullie

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 28, 2015, 09:31:18 AM »
I hear ya.  I have been trying to find Patrick's mango spraying regimen/routine for almost 30 mins now.  It's all about finding the right keyword  >:(

no luck yet...PM me if you have the link

You dont really want to use Patrick's chemical arsenal.   Go with a toned down version if you must...
- Rob

zands

• mango_zango
    • Zone 10b, Florida, USA, 33321
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 28, 2015, 09:42:32 AM »
I have some lemon zest that look like this w mottling. Is it a sign of uneven ripening? Because it is definitely that on some my sweet tart mangoes/  Some of which get half green and half yellow

Patrick's foliar feeding 2012. He might have updated editions.  http://tropicalfruitforum.com/index.php?topic=241.msg2849#msg2849

bsbullie

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 28, 2015, 10:11:30 AM »
That mottling on LZ is definitely NOT a sign of uneven ripening.  Those who used see/eat LZ years ago when it was only known as 27-1 will confirm it is quite normal.  It is also common on Southern Blush (as a red, not green color).

Not to say it cant or didn't but i have never seen it on Sweet Tart.   Can you post pictures of your ST with this mottling.
- Rob

zands

• mango_zango
    • Zone 10b, Florida, USA, 33321
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 28, 2015, 11:28:04 AM »
That mottling on LZ is definitely NOT a sign of uneven ripening.  Those who used see/eat LZ years ago when it was only known as 27-1 will confirm it is quite normal.  It is also common on Southern Blush (as a red, not green color).

Not to say it cant or didn't but i have never seen it on Sweet Tart.   Can you post pictures of your ST with this mottling.

They come off the tree. On ST the green part gets half ripe, hard and inedible. On LZ the green part is edible and just a bit less ripe than the yellow part. So acceptable on LZ at least

ST

LZ and ST with no label

LZ and ST with no label
« Last Edit: June 28, 2015, 11:31:22 AM by zands »

bsbullie

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 28, 2015, 04:36:30 PM »
I dont see any signs of that mottling on your ST.  In any event, dont know why you are getting hard spots on either fruit unless you are not letting them ripen fully.

As to the mottling on the LZ, i have never had the areas with the mottling be less ripe.  I have eaten more LZs than i care to admit so IF that were the case, i am sure i would have seen it being a proble, at some point and never have.
I will say that i would let the LZ sit on the tree a bit longer before picking, but thats me.
- Rob

Sleepdoc

• Davie, Florida Zone 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 28, 2015, 05:22:01 PM »
A good # of my LZ's have this mottling.  There is zero apparent affect on the interior of the mango. Some of my box ripened Mallika's do this as well.  Again with no  detriment in fruit quality.

Future

• The Future
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 28, 2015, 06:17:43 PM »
Just goes to show...judge not by the color of their skin but by the content of their character....

dongeorgio

• If you have any mango that I don't...CONTACT ME!
    • zone 10
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: June 28, 2015, 08:01:24 PM »
I've had an  Ugly Betty this year with that odd mottling.  The mango itself was unaffected
George

Patrick

• Administrator
    • USA, Palm Beach, FL 33467, Zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 28, 2015, 09:04:34 PM »
I have some lemon zest that look like this w mottling. Is it a sign of uneven ripening? Because it is definitely that on some my sweet tart mangoes/  Some of which get half green and half yellow

Patrick's foliar feeding 2012. He might have updated editions.  http://tropicalfruitforum.com/index.php?topic=241.msg2849#msg2849

I have still been using pretty much the same mix.. I limit copper to wet months primary on the mango trees in flower/fruiting cycle.  I didn't invent the mix I use, I basically copied what Bill Whitman spoke about in his book and incorporated PhytoFos.  If you have Whitman's Book the article is a "Letter From Bal Harbour- Minor Element Sprays for Major Plant Growth"(pg.263).  The same information is also provided in many IFAS and other TF related docs and studies.  Whitman was actually using a lot more Cu and Fe in his mixes than I am.  Have I seen results? Absolutely.  Have I seen any lack of fruit because of vigor? Only in lychee, but my trees are only 4 years old and we have has dismal years overall lately in South Florida.  I have never burnt leaves or had adverse reactions either.  The overspray can easily be spotted on nearby lawns within a week or so, the lawn shows areas that appear sprayed with dark gloss green paint. 

Cookie Monster

• Broward, FL Zone 10b
  • Administrator
  • Eye like mangoes
    • Tamarac, FL, 33321, 10B
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 28, 2015, 09:09:44 PM »
That LZ mottled coloration is like pavlov's bell. Just the sight triggers salivation.
Jeff  :-)

Guanabanus

• SE Palm Beach County, East of I-95, Elevation 18'
    • USA, Florida, Boynton Beach, 33435, Zone 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: June 29, 2015, 09:54:56 PM »
Lemon Zest's "map designs" like forest hammocks surrounded by fields of grain, are characteristic, and are a convenient sign of readiness to pick.

The other odd identifier is the "double chin" at the bottom.
« Last Edit: July 01, 2015, 08:46:33 AM by Guanabanus »
Har

LumpyLumpAlot

• Zone 10b Homestead,fl
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: June 29, 2015, 11:25:32 PM »

My one and only lemon zest mango off a graft I did onto a Glenn tree cool dragon birth mark
I had to share mmj so delishous

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk