Author Topic: Best tasting and most reliable Mangos for Southern California  (Read 24574 times)

mangomanic12

• Phoenix, AZ
    • View Profile
Re: Best tasting and most reliable Mangos for Southern California
« Reply #50 on: July 22, 2019, 03:05:39 PM »
Just a reminder to everyone here please let people know whether your trees are grown in POTS or IN THE GROUND.
It makes a huge difference in how the tree performs / fertilization/ water/ disease / sun exposure  issues.
People give examples how a tree performs 2 years or so in a pot and that they produce fruits for them and that's not a true indicator  for a person who may want to grow that same cultivar in ground.
So if you guys remember please indicate whether your mangoes are POT Grown or In-Ground. Thanks!

Mike

simon_grow

• USA, San Diego, CA, Zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: July 22, 2019, 03:54:12 PM »
Hey Behl,

I’m surprised even your Peach Cobbler got PM.

My in ground Peach Cobbler grafted onto Kent seedling rootstock flowered twice already and set fruit but I removed everything in hopes of getting a vegetative flush but it flowered again. I have not seen PM on my Peach Cobbler yet but there are many strains of Powdery Mildew.

Simon

behlgarden

• CA, Zone 10 B
    • View Profile
    • LED Bulbs for Landscape Lighting
« Reply #52 on: July 22, 2019, 04:00:19 PM »
Hey Behl,

I’m surprised even your Peach Cobbler got PM.

My in ground Peach Cobbler grafted onto Kent seedling rootstock flowered twice already and set fruit but I removed everything in hopes of getting a vegetative flush but it flowered again. I have not seen PM on my Peach Cobbler yet but there are many strains of Powdery Mildew.

Simon

yes, I am surprised too. its 4 yr in ground and this is first time I had this happen, plus a lot of die back lately. I have been chopping it left and right all dead branches. I will spray abound after the heat wave.

sapote

• USA, CA, Burbank, 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: July 22, 2019, 05:32:01 PM »
Maha Chanok, Okrung Tong, Lancetilla are so reliable in fruiting.

palingkecil

• Los Angeles
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: July 22, 2019, 07:30:08 PM »
Manila mango does not seem productive at all here in Glendale. I got a grafted one 3 years ago (the grower said it was 2 years old when I bought it), 2 years in the ground but still cannot hold any fruit. It seems healthy and grows about 1 ft each year. Flushes new growth, plenty of flowers resulted in fruitlets, but all of the fruitlets drop. I will give it one more year before it goes to compos bin.
On the other hand, Little Gem (aka Little Jim) on Florida rootstock is very precocious and productive. Only 4 months in the ground (barely 1 ft, bought it online last March/April) but already held 18 fruitlets and all the fruitlets were growing. I took most of them off but leave 3 hanging on, so far they are growing nicely.
Pickering on Florida rootstock is the 1st year in the ground, flushes new growth and grow big leaves but no flower yet.

JF

• North OC California Zone 10B/America Tropical 13A
    • 90631/97000
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: July 22, 2019, 09:47:48 PM »
There are lot of reliable mangos in SoCal but we are looking for quality not quantity. I would recommend
ST
Venus
HK
Parson
Harvest moon
OS
And some others

simon_grow

• View Profile
« Reply #56 on: July 26, 2019, 07:37:51 PM »
Manila mango does not seem productive at all here in Glendale. I got a grafted one 3 years ago (the grower said it was 2 years old when I bought it), 2 years in the ground but still cannot hold any fruit. It seems healthy and grows about 1 ft each year. Flushes new growth, plenty of flowers resulted in fruitlets, but all of the fruitlets drop. I will give it one more year before it goes to compos bin.
On the other hand, Little Gem (aka Little Jim) on Florida rootstock is very precocious and productive. Only 4 months in the ground (barely 1 ft, bought it online last March/April) but already held 18 fruitlets and all the fruitlets were growing. I took most of them off but leave 3 hanging on, so far they are growing nicely.
Pickering on Florida rootstock is the 1st year in the ground, flushes new growth and grow big leaves but no flower yet.

Palingkecil,

Manilla mango, ungrafted, makes a good rootstock but the fruit is not great. I wonder what kind of Manilla mango you got, most Manilla Mangos in SoCal are seed grown and not grafted. Manilla Mango blooms are susceptible to Powdery Mildew but they can still hold fruit depending on weather conditions and the health of the tree. Trees can have a couple bad years before finally holding some fruit.

Your Little Gem may not grow much, if at all if you let it hold the three little fruits to maturity.

One of the biggest mistakes new mango growers make is to let little, unestablished trees hold fruit to maturity. Read through this thread and it will give you some more information
http://tropicalfruitforum.com/index.php?topic=23124.msg286982#msg286982

Simon

simon_grow

• View Profile
« Reply #57 on: August 25, 2019, 07:09:54 PM »
I will soon be compiling a list of top tier mango varieties that consistently yield well here in SoCal. I will update the first post on this thread with all the varieties that people have chimed in on. If you feel a variety is top tier in terms of taste, that’s good enough for me. The variety still needs to be productive to make it onto this list. If I get mixed reports, I may leave that variety off the list until we get more data.

Even consistently productive varieties can have an off year. That is why I would like everyone to help build this database. The more years we can build upon this database, the better.

I forgot to add that Carrie is also consistently productive here, at least in my yard when I had the tree.

Simon

BonsaiBeast

• San Diego CA, USDA zone 10a, sunset zone 24
    • View Profile
    • BonsaiBeast
« Reply #58 on: August 28, 2019, 02:59:32 PM »
I see people praising orange sherbert in Florida.

How does it do in southern California? How does it compare to some other good picks like ST, Edward, cac, etc

behlgarden

• CA, Zone 10 B
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: August 28, 2019, 04:19:50 PM »
I see people praising orange sherbert in Florida.

How does it do in southern California? How does it compare to some other good picks like ST, Edward, cac, etc

it grows well, have not fruited yet given it was released recently. Not sure how well it will perform compared to how badly LZ does here.

palingkecil

• Los Angeles
    • View Profile
« Reply #60 on: August 28, 2019, 07:03:07 PM »

Palingkecil,

Manilla mango, ungrafted, makes a good rootstock but the fruit is not great. I wonder what kind of Manilla mango you got, most Manilla Mangos in SoCal are seed grown and not grafted. Manilla Mango blooms are susceptible to Powdery Mildew but they can still hold fruit depending on weather conditions and the health of the tree. Trees can have a couple bad years before finally holding some fruit.

Your Little Gem may not grow much, if at all if you let it hold the three little fruits to maturity.

One of the biggest mistakes new mango growers make is to let little, unestablished trees hold fruit to maturity. Read through this thread and it will give you some more information
http://tropicalfruitforum.com/index.php?topic=23124.msg286982#msg286982

Simon

Thank you for the advise, Simon. I took the little fruitlets off. For the Manila mango, I am not sure what the rootstock is, but I can see the notch graft. Anyway, I bought it for only $40 from a backyard grower in Los Angeles. I have zero experience in grafting, maybe I should buy some scions and just try doing it.

Ant21

• Carson, Ca.90745 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: August 30, 2019, 05:39:35 PM »
Glenn mango on the ground.I prune the tree as the fruits get ripe.

simon_grow

• View Profile
« Reply #62 on: August 30, 2019, 08:10:19 PM »
I would also like to know how Orange Sherbet, Orange Essence, Seacrest and other newer Zill varieties perform here in SoCal. I don’t have the real Orange Sherbet but I do have multiple Orange Sherbet seedlings.

From one of my Orange Sherbet seeds, I got two sprouts. I grafted scions from each seedling onto my double rootstock  multigraft potted mango tree and one of the OS seedlings flowered this year. This is just an OS seedling, I don’t know if this is a clone or not, but whatever it is, the blooms were not affected by Powdery Mildew and it set a fruit. I just removed the fruit yesterday and the sap smells just like Orange Sherbet fruit turpenes. Here’s a picture of the fruit before I removed it. You can see how small the scion is.

Simon

wslau

• La Palma, CA, USA, Zone 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: August 31, 2019, 12:01:36 AM »
I would also like to know how Orange Sherbet, Orange Essence, Seacrest and other newer Zill varieties perform here in SoCal. I don’t have the real Orange Sherbet but I do have multiple Orange Sherbet seedlings.

From one of my Orange Sherbet seeds, I got two sprouts. I grafted scions from each seedling onto my double rootstock  multigraft potted mango tree and one of the OS seedlings flowered this year. This is just an OS seedling, I don’t know if this is a clone or not, but whatever it is, the blooms were not affected by Powdery Mildew and it set a fruit. I just removed the fruit yesterday and the sap smells just like Orange Sherbet fruit turpenes. Here’s a picture of the fruit before I removed it. You can see how small the scion is.

Simon

Simon,
For in ground trees...
Seacrest on turpentine is a vigorous tree in SoCal.  Even more vigorous than Seacrest is Ambrosia on turpentine.  Can’t comment on Orange Sherbert....but I did lose an in-ground tiny OS, but not sure why.
Still waiting 1 more year before fruiting.
« Last Edit: August 31, 2019, 12:04:13 AM by wslau »
Warren

JF

• North OC California Zone 10B/America Tropical 13A
    • 90631/97000
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: August 31, 2019, 01:21:54 AM »
Turpentine work in most cases varieties in SoCal. Several varieties do not do well here like:
Guava
Cotton candy
Ice cream
Carrie
and some others but you can always try those varieties on Manila type rootstocks. Here is cotton candy on Manila.

hawkfish007

• Highland, CA, 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: August 31, 2019, 01:49:03 PM »
Turpentine work in most cases varieties in SoCal. Several varieties do not do well here like:
Guava
Cotton candy
Ice cream
Carrie
and some others but you can always try those varieties on Manila type rootstocks. Here is cotton candy on Manila.

I second JF, most varieties do well in Southern California regardless of rootstock as long as mangoes are not exposed to low 30s for weeks or even months. Manilla sold by local nurseries mostly originated from La Verne are subject to same phomopsis. I lost my 5 year old La Verne manilla to phomopsis after I unsuccessfully tried to graft onto it last November and cut the dead scion/branches in early February. It showed classic symptoms of drying up from outside to inside. When dried branches are cut brown reddish saps could be seen. Combination of near freezing cold weather and physical stress are fatal to mangoes.

gozp

• West Hills, CA
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: August 31, 2019, 04:51:58 PM »
Guava
Cotton candy
Ice cream
Carrie

All u mentioned on turpentines died on me 2 carrie, 2 guava, 1 cotton candy, 1 ice cream.

simon_grow

• View Profile
« Reply #67 on: August 31, 2019, 06:51:21 PM »
I do not recommend growing dwarf or slow growing varieties here in SoCal but if you absolutely must have a variety that is known to be a dwarf or slow grower, it should be top worked onto a single variety mature tree unless that mature tree is also being top worked with other dwarf or slow growing varieties.

Many people kill their trees by not correcting the roots of pot bound trees, over amending planting holes with too much organic matter and over watering their trees, especially in Winter.

Simon

K-Rimes

• Santa Barbara
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: September 05, 2019, 02:50:21 PM »

Getting a decent flush out of this diamond grafted mango. Hope it continues as such for awhile.

sapote

• USA, CA, Burbank, 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: September 05, 2019, 03:15:50 PM »
From one of my Orange Sherbet seeds, I got two sprouts. I grafted scions from each seedling onto my double rootstock  multigraft potted mango tree and one of the OS seedlings flowered this year.

Simon, I'm surprised that  the small scion from the OS seedling having fruit! How old is the OS graft? My experience is that a seedling needs about 3 to 4 years in SoCal before flowering and so I would think the same for the seedling scion.

simon_grow

• View Profile
« Reply #70 on: September 05, 2019, 05:17:06 PM »
I was surprised too, I was hoping it wouldn’t flower for at least 3-4 years. I believe that the mature double rootstocks hormones pushed the scion to flower. This was the first year the rootstock flowered.

The OS graft is under 1 year old if I remember correctly. I’m not at home right now but the metal tag I show in the picture has the graft date.

The seedling that the scions came from is approximately 2 years old.

Simon

behlgarden

• CA, Zone 10 B
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: September 06, 2019, 05:12:37 PM »
I was surprised too, I was hoping it wouldn’t flower for at least 3-4 years. I believe that the mature double rootstocks hormones pushed the scion to flower. This was the first year the rootstock flowered.

The OS graft is under 1 year old if I remember correctly. I’m not at home right now but the metal tag I show in the picture has the graft date.

The seedling that the scions came from is approximately 2 years old.

Simon

its rare but we do get seedlings to bloom under 2 yrs, most in 3-4 yrs. The sad part is these suckers bloom and then get sick due to lack of growth. I have lost a lot of branches on my Peach Cobbler due to Phomosis, its unpredictable on how things happen here. My Coconut cream seedling is now 4 yrs old, its been blooming for 2 yrs but cant handle PM. My Lemon Zest seedling is big now and not bloomed, its 4-yrs there too.

sapote

• USA, CA, Burbank, 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: October 28, 2019, 06:49:24 PM »
Peach cobbler on turpentine rootstock ( wrongly labeled as Edward by TT from Florida) gave me 15 to 20 fruits every year, no PM issue. Thick shoulder skin but dark orange and very good inside. Skin doesn't have strong bitter taste.

simon_grow

• View Profile
« Reply #73 on: October 29, 2019, 07:51:56 PM »
My Peach Cobbler on Seedling rootstock also held fruit in a heavy Powdery Mildew year for me.

Simon

simon_grow

• View Profile
« Reply #74 on: April 15, 2020, 09:31:53 PM »
This year has been especially gloomy and rainy so it will be a good year to evaluate which of the better tasting Mangos are most productive in wet years.

Please share with us which varieties are holding fruit for you this year. If we compile this type of information over multiple years, we can begin to make better recommendations for SoCal mango growers.

The few mango trees I have at my place are still blooming and everything is covered with Powdery Mildew but so far it looks like CAC, Sweet Tart and Peach Cobbler May hold onto some fruit. They are still super tiny but that’s what I see so far.

Simon