Author Topic: Annonaceae seed viability  (Read 758 times)

akanonui

• zone 6b, Southeast Michigan. But I have a greenhouse.
    • View Profile
Annonaceae seed viability
« on: May 09, 2021, 02:43:18 PM »
So I am debating on whether or not to buy some Annona dioica seeds that were harvested in February of this year. In the past I have had good luck with fresh Annonaceae seeds but those bought from places like Tradewindsfruits or Rarepalmseeds never sprouted. I know Annona dioica is from the cerrado/pantanal so it should not be as finicky as say muricata, salzmannii, scleroderma etc, but a couple months still could make or break viability right? Do yall think the rarer Annona seeds keep good viability for a couple months? I plan on scouring and using GA3 if I get them as well.

Plantinyum

• Bulgaria , near Sofia city , planting zone 7
    • View Profile
Re: Annonaceae seed viability
« Reply #1 on: May 11, 2021, 01:39:30 AM »
I had old cherimoya seeds sprout up after a year, not all of them did germinate but some of them still keep sprouting up after several months in the soil. 

TheGivingTree

• Florida Zone 10
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 11, 2021, 08:43:26 AM »
I recently planted sugar apple seeds from Aug/Sep 2020 alongside seeds from early 2021. Last years seeds have all germinated, none of this years have yet.
As for rarer annonas I haven't had much luck. None of the a. Duckei or a. Paludosa seeds I got from Tradewinds germinated.
« Last Edit: May 11, 2021, 06:15:17 PM by TheGivingTree »

W.

• United States, Alabama, 7b
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 16, 2021, 11:33:39 AM »
I have not had a great deal of luck with rarer Annonaceae seeds, either. I chalk that up to a relative lack of growing experience and the individual germination requirements of different species.

But, perhaps one of the reasons that many people have poor germination rates with rare Annonas is because we are not providing something that the seeds get when germinating in their natural environment. Or, perhaps some Annona species just naturally have better germination rates than others. For instance, I have read several times on this forum about the hoops that people have to jump through to get decent germination rates for Ilama, but I ordered a packet of four Annona reticulata (custard apple) seeds from Trade Winds a couple of years ago and got a 100% germination rate without really knowing what I was doing.

When talking about germinating rare Annonaceae seeds, I am over the moon at the moment, though. I finally got an Uvaria rufa seed to germinate last week.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk