Author Topic: Breadfruit survey  (Read 926 times)

rfielding2

• South Carolina, USA
    • View Profile
    • russellfielding.com
Breadfruit survey
« on: June 21, 2021, 03:03:07 PM »
Hello,

As you may have gathered from some of my previous posts, I have a research interest in growing breadfruit outside of its prescribed hardiness zones. I'd like to invite anyone currently growing breadfruit in Florida to fill out a brief survey. This is 100% for academic purposes only and the consent form, which you'll have to scroll through before getting into the survey, explains some of the goals and confidentiality arrangements for the survey itself, as well as for any research publications that might result.

You can access the survey here: https://snap.coastal.edu/snapwebhost/s.asp?k=162367429984

Please share the link far and wide. I'm interested in getting as much good feedback as possible. Feel free to contact me with any questions.

Sincerely,
Russell Fielding
Coastal Carolina University
​​​​​​​rfielding@coastal.edu

Sleepdoc

• Davie, Florida Zone 10b
    • View Profile
Re: Breadfruit survey
« Reply #1 on: June 21, 2021, 11:23:47 PM »
Survey completed.

Mike T

• Zone 12a
  • Cairns,Nth Qld, Australia
    • Zone 12a
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 22, 2021, 07:54:28 AM »
The Queensland coast spans latitudes from around 12 to 28 and it is interesting to see where species and varieties drop out due to cold and heat tolerances. Poleward of latitude 17 durian, rambutan and breadfruit varieties drop out very quickly and are down to single varieties before latitude 19. Mangosteens drop out around this line as well. By contrast lychee varieties drop out quickly in coastal locations north of about latitude 20 on the coast with the last 2 not commercially viable on the equator side of 17 latitude.

rfielding2

• South Carolina, USA
    • View Profile
    • russellfielding.com
« Reply #3 on: June 22, 2021, 08:36:27 AM »
The Queensland coast spans latitudes from around 12 to 28 and it is interesting to see where species and varieties drop out due to cold and heat tolerances. Poleward of latitude 17 durian, rambutan and breadfruit varieties drop out very quickly and are down to single varieties before latitude 19. Mangosteens drop out around this line as well. By contrast lychee varieties drop out quickly in coastal locations north of about latitude 20 on the coast with the last 2 not commercially viable on the equator side of 17 latitude.

Very interesting. Once my research in Florida gets going properly, I'd be keen to expand the project to Australia and other places where breadfruit and similar "ultratropicals" are being pushed out of their comfort zones.

Russell

FruitGrower

• South Florida
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 22, 2021, 12:21:01 PM »
I did your survey last night and added a picture but it was dark and not as good as this one I got today. If you’d like to add it to my questionnaire, feel free.

rfielding2

• South Carolina, USA
    • View Profile
    • russellfielding.com
« Reply #5 on: June 23, 2021, 11:34:00 AM »
I did your survey last night and added a picture but it was dark and not as good as this one I got today. If you’d like to add it to my questionnaire, feel free.

Thanks so much! I appreciate everyone taking the time to complete the survey. Please feel free to share it with friends and organizations that might be relevant.

Russell

Mike T

• Zone 12a
    • Zone 12a
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 24, 2021, 08:26:08 AM »
The ancestral home of breadfruit before humans got involved seems to be around 5 to 10 degrees latitude rather than equatorial unlike say mangosteens. Not sure how ultratropical is defined but it really isnt used in climate classification too much. Lapita and other people spread them around and they were selected for tolerances I guess of their new homes but thee were maritime anyway.

Dmaxx69

• Hawaii County, Keaau, HI zone 11b
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 24, 2021, 11:05:22 AM »
Interesting that breadfruits dont like 19 latitude amd further down there, they grow effortlessly here in Hawaii. We only appear to have one type of durian being commercially grown but get plenty of rambutans and mangosteens.

Mike T

• Zone 12a
    • Zone 12a
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 24, 2021, 04:28:49 PM »
With the moderating influence of the ocean in Hawaii the Mexican to Central American or Vietnamese coasts may be better comparisons.

JF

• North OC California Zone 10B/America Tropical 13A
    • 90631/97000
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 27, 2021, 04:54:44 PM »

Here is castaña they are all over the Yucatán peninsula propagated in a few nurseries rarely seen in the fruit markets. I’ve had them with seeds and without both excellent for frying or in soups as the call it here

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk