Tropical Fruit > Tropical Fruit Discussion

Does refrigeration kill mango seeds?

(1/1)

Kona400:
Has anyone sprouted mango seeds after refrigerating them?  I like to eat mango cold but I also want to sprout the seed for rootstock.  I didn't really pay attention last year but some seeds did not sprout and some were weak.  I would expect variability from any type of seed so I do not know if they were bad seeds or if they were harmed some other way.  Any info would be appreciated.

fruitlovers:

--- Quote from: Kona400 on May 15, 2013, 02:13:09 AM ---Has anyone sprouted mango seeds after refrigerating them?  I like to eat mango cold but I also want to sprout the seed for rootstock.  I didn't really pay attention last year but some seeds did not sprout and some were weak.  I would expect variability from any type of seed so I do not know if they were bad seeds or if they were harmed some other way.  Any info would be appreciated.

--- End quote ---

The mango seeds are not hurt by refrigeration as long as they don't freeze. Best to keep them in produce section of fridge were temperatures are highest.

bovine421:

--- Quote from: fruitlovers on May 15, 2013, 04:35:04 AM ---
--- Quote from: Kona400 on May 15, 2013, 02:13:09 AM ---Has anyone sprouted mango seeds after refrigerating them?  I like to eat mango cold but I also want to sprout the seed for rootstock.  I didn't really pay attention last year but some seeds did not sprout and some were weak.  I would expect variability from any type of seed so I do not know if they were bad seeds or if they were harmed some other way.  Any info would be appreciated.

--- End quote ---

The mango seeds are not hurt by refrigeration as long as they don't freeze. Best to keep them in produce section of fridge were temperatures are highest.

--- End quote ---
What is the best way to store mango seeds from this season Harvest for next Spring's planting?
How long is the viability window?

achetadomestica:

--- Quote from: bovine421 on August 01, 2021, 09:38:59 AM ---
--- Quote from: fruitlovers on May 15, 2013, 04:35:04 AM ---

--- End quote ---

--- End quote ---
What is the best way to store mango seeds from this season Harvest for next Spring's planting?
How long is the viability window?

--- End quote ---
I start my seeds for rootstock now in 3 gallon pots. Last year I never watered them and they
were fine and graftable this Spring/Summer. I had them under a pine tree and my 34 F night
didn't bother them but I lost some small mangos in the ground that weren't prorected in my yard.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

Go to full version