Author Topic: Had my first longan!!!  (Read 28581 times)

plantlover13

• View Profile
Had my first longan!!!
« on: September 02, 2013, 10:39:13 AM »
I never thought that i would ever find a longan in long island, but i guess patel brothers is just cool like that. They also had rambutans, lychee, carambola, sugar apple...

I don't have pics right now, will get them later.

To me, the  longan tasted EXACTLY like Palmyra (sugar palm, toddy palm, nungu). THe resemblance was uncanny, to  say the least.

All in all, really darn good fruit. Compared to lychee? They are really too different for me to compare.

Central Floridave

• View Profile
Re: Had my first longan!!!
« Reply #1 on: September 02, 2013, 02:01:06 PM »
I started eating my diamond river longan this weekend! They taste great.

thao

• WI zone 5b
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 02, 2013, 02:16:10 PM »
I actually prefer longans to lychee. When people describe longans as having a spicy flavors or any other fruits(mangoes, etc.), what do they mean? When someone mentions spicy flavor in anything, only spice comes to mind. I only taste crisps sweet flesh, when I eat longans. So, can someone, please help explain what spicy means in fruit flavors?

HMHausman

• Mod Emeritus
    • USA, Fort Lauderdale, Broward County, Florida, Zone 10B
    • View Profile
    • Pines Ticket Defense, LLC
« Reply #3 on: September 02, 2013, 02:30:12 PM »
I actually prefer longans to lychee. When people describe longans as having a spicy flavors or any other fruits(mangoes, etc.), what do they mean? When someone mentions spicy flavor in anything, only spice comes to mind. I only taste crisps sweet flesh, when I eat longans. So, can someone, please help explain what spicy means in fruit flavors?

This spicy word is killing us.  Yes, I have used the word spicy when it comes to longan flavor, but to explain it seems impossible.  There is something about the flavor that is just not sweet nor sub-acid.....whatever that is, people refer to it as spicy.
Harry
Fort Lauderdale, FL 
USA

plantlover13

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 02, 2013, 02:40:30 PM »
Spicy? not at all. I think it's just a word to describe it to people that have never eaten it before, used because there really is no other wy to describe it. Same with "nutty"

It just tastes plain unique, i can't really compare to a lychee.

thao

• WI zone 5b
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 02, 2013, 05:22:25 PM »
Thanks Harry and plantlover13. I was always confused, when people refer to any fruit having a spicy flavor. Now, I know, it's an unexplainable flavor from fruits, not having to much sweetness/lack there of or acidic qualities to the whole flavor(I hope I word that correctly :-[). But, thanks again you two and any other forum member, trying to explain your definition of spicy later on.

Jen

• always learning
    • Australia, Brisbane - sub-tropical zone 10
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 02, 2013, 05:38:59 PM »
The word "musky" comes to my mind with a longan. I once bought some supermarket fruit in early winter which were past their best and I could only describe them as sweet but fishy! It was not a good experience.

thao

• WI zone 5b
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 02, 2013, 05:54:23 PM »
The word "musky" comes to my mind with a longan. I once bought some supermarket fruit in early winter which were past their best and I could only describe them as sweet but fishy! It was not a good experience.

Musky, I get. Fishy? that's a first for me, but I guess over ripe ones do have some kinda of off putting smell to them as you said.

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • USA, Big Island, East Hawaii, Zone 13a
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
« Reply #8 on: September 03, 2013, 03:05:36 AM »

English is rather poor language for describing tastes, it lacks words for describing food tastes, except for the general: sweet/sour/bitter/astringent. Best you can do is compare it to something else, in this case spices. As you know spices have a lot of different tastes, so what spice in particular is longan being compared to? None really, but i do see where that description would come about, as longans have to me a bit of cinnamon- like taste and smell. I would describe them as tasting like canteloupe with a bit of cinnamon added in.
Oscar

HMHausman

• Mod Emeritus
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 03, 2013, 08:09:39 AM »

English is rather poor language for describing tastes, it lacks words for describing food tastes, except for the general: sweet/sour/bitter/astringent. Best you can do is compare it to something else, in this case spices. As you know spices have a lot of different tastes, so what spice in particular is longan being compared to? None really, but i do see where that description would come about, as longans have to me a bit of cinnamon- like taste and smell. I would describe them as tasting like cantaloupe with a bit of cinnamon added in.

Lol....wow, amazing how our taste buds differ.....I dot't get cinnamon at all in the  flavor profile from the longans whatsoever.  Melon?  Maybe I could see that more than cinnamon, in a musky melon sort of way. Taking another stab, I think longans have a soapy taste......somewhat musky, very sweet.  But maybe the "soapy" I am tasting is a product of my mind playing tricks on me in that I know it is in the soap berry family? OK.....final attempt.  They taste good.  Not as good as lychees for me, but quite good...... with the best having a nice crisp texture.
Harry
Fort Lauderdale, FL 
USA

plantlover13

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 03, 2013, 08:11:33 AM »

English is rather poor language for describing tastes, it lacks words for describing food tastes, except for the general: sweet/sour/bitter/astringent. Best you can do is compare it to something else, in this case spices. As you know spices have a lot of different tastes, so what spice in particular is longan being compared to? None really, but i do see where that description would come about, as longans have to me a bit of cinnamon- like taste and smell. I would describe them as tasting like canteloupe with a bit of cinnamon added in.

That doesn't quite cut it either. So annoying, how do you describe these things?

thao

• WI zone 5b
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 03, 2013, 12:56:10 PM »

Oscar, since you mention cinnamon, I too do taste that very faint hint of cinnamon+cantaloupe and musky overtone, that Jen said. But first thing of any fruits or veggies, that really comes mind now, would be something like how arugula or watercress has a bit of peppery/spicy bite, to it, if that makes sense. For now, it might not be the correct description,since people seem to have different taste bud on the same fruit. I guess this is maybe, the right time, to use the term "taste is subjective". And if anyone asked me, how does a longan, taste like, I'll mention musky,very faint cinnamon spicy smell+taste and sweet cantaloupe flavor, all combine into one. Or like plantlover13 said, it's has a unique flavor all on it's own ;D ;D ;D

phantomcrab

• USA, St. Petersburg, FL Zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 03, 2013, 02:22:37 PM »
I also prefer longans to lychees but I do not have extensive tasting experience with either. There may be an outstanding variety of lychee that would change my mind. Last summer I sampled some longans at F&S and all were quite good. I don't believe I would refuse to eat either if offered to me.
Richard

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
« Reply #13 on: September 03, 2013, 05:52:21 PM »
I like longans a lot, but not anywhere in same league for me as primo lychees. I can eat kilos of lychees in one sitting. Usually after eating a handful of longans i'm already tired of them. I think most longans are just too sweet to eat too many of them. I like the more complex sweet/tart taste of lychees.
The longans i'm eating now, Diamond River, are extremely sweet, the equivalent of eating fruit candy.
Oscar

LEOOEL

• USA, South Florida, Miami, Temperature Zone 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 03, 2013, 08:57:56 PM »

I've seen some reports that say that 'Diamond River' has been getting some bad rap about its quality. The report(s) contend that the trick to getting quality 'Diamond River' fruit is to cull the tree of inferior fruit. This will lead to get adequate fruit size.

My 'Kohala' longan tree produced a negligible amount of fruit this year. I'm now seriously considering getting a 'Diamond River' longan tree.
'Virtue' should be taught, learned and propagated, in order to save others and oneself.

HMHausman

• Mod Emeritus
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: September 03, 2013, 09:04:13 PM »

I've seen some reports that say that 'Diamond River' has been getting some bad rap about its quality. The report(s) contend that the trick to getting quality 'Diamond River' fruit is to cull the tree of inferior fruit. This will lead to get adequate fruit size.

My 'Kohala' longan tree produced a negligible amount of fruit this year. I'm now seriously considering getting a 'Diamond River' longan tree.

Be careful.  Here in Florida, Diamond River has not produced good quality fruit.  Not at least that I ever encountered or was able to produce.  I yanked my tree.  The best thing about Diamond River was supposed to be its later season......coinciding with Chinese Year.  It, to my understanding, was never able to compete with other culitvars in fruit eating quality.

Harry
Fort Lauderdale, FL 
USA

HMHausman

• Mod Emeritus
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 03, 2013, 09:07:07 PM »
The longans i'm eating now, Diamond River, are extremely sweet, the equivalent of eating fruit candy.

Oscar......Diamond River is supposed to be one of the longan cultivars that bears regularly in low chill locations.  In Puerto Rico, Ian Crown had both Diamond River and one called Ping Pong.  The Ping Pong was far superior to the Diamond River in eating quality....IMHO..  Do you have or have you tried Ping Pong?
Harry
Fort Lauderdale, FL 
USA

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
« Reply #17 on: September 04, 2013, 02:27:32 AM »

Oscar......Diamond River is supposed to be one of the longan cultivars that bears regularly in low chill locations.  In Puerto Rico, Ian Crown had both Diamond River and one called Ping Pong.  The Ping Pong was far superior to the Diamond River in eating quality....IMHO..  Do you have or have you tried Ping Pong?

Have heard of cultivar Ping Pong, but don't have it. The main problem with DR is that the pulp/seed ratio is not as good as some other cultivars here. Otherwise i think it's a pretty darn good longan. Some say DR is not as full bodied a flavor as other longans. I can't really comment on that as i haven't tried them side by side with others, but i don't have any complaint about its taste. Whatever the downside of DR it more than makes up for in consistent and heavy bearing capability and the fact it will fruit in tropics without use of potassium chlorate. BTW, i tried DR in Florida many years ago and also thought it tasted fine there also.
Oscar

Central Floridave

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: September 05, 2013, 02:18:16 PM »
"Diamond River has not produced good quality fruit. "

I would disagree with that.  However, it could be a difference of climate/soil/care.   

I have the kohala, biea keaw, sri champoo, and Diamond River.  I probably misspelled those but, I like them all.  The DR is the only one that produced this year.   All trees are mature and last summer they all fruited heavy.  So, this year they are taking a break except the DR (which also fruited heavy last year). The DR has two crops on them this summer. The one I'm eating now, and the next crop is still small but the tree is loaded.   

It tastes like a longan to me.  There is a slight taste difference between the variety, but like lychee, every variety taste good. At least to me.   I don't know how you can say its not good quality fruit.    I can't speak to your experience as I have also tasted bad DR before.   That was because they were overripe and in fermentation.     but, there is no way I would say Diamond River produces bad quality fruit.  In my experience it has been great!

HMHausman

• Mod Emeritus
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: September 05, 2013, 02:36:01 PM »
"Diamond River has not produced good quality fruit. "

I would disagree with that.  However, it could be a difference of climate/soil/care.   

I have the kohala, biea keaw, sri champoo, and Diamond River.  I probably misspelled those but, I like them all.  The DR is the only one that produced this year.   All trees are mature and last summer they all fruited heavy.  So, this year they are taking a break except the DR (which also fruited heavy last year). The DR has two crops on them this summer. The one I'm eating now, and the next crop is still small but the tree is loaded.   

It tastes like a longan to me.  There is a slight taste difference between the variety, but like lychee, every variety taste good. At least to me.   I don't know how you can say its not good quality fruit.    I can't speak to your experience as I have also tasted bad DR before.   That was because they were overripe and in fermentation.     but, there is no way I would say Diamond River produces bad quality fruit.  In my experience it has been great!

When it was first introduced in the mid 1990's it, Diamond River, a/k/a  was the rage.  Every one had to have one in the circles I was traveling in at the time.  I planted two trees out and I know many others that planted them out as well.  These were all in Dade and Broward Counties.......more in Broward though.  My fruits were similar to others I tried from these other people.  The fruits on DR were smaller, considerably smaller, than other cultivars available and had much lower flesh to seed ratios.  If those were the only issues, that would have been OK with its later bearing.  However all of the fruit that I tried and/or grew had a washed out flavor and just not in the same league as the other culitvars.  It wasn't even as good as one of my seedlings....a seedling of Kohala.  But, of course, that is only in my opinion and experience. Maybe my tastes are off.  I'm just giving a warning that tasting first might be considered before committing the space to a tree planted out. I'm sure some people would consider me a Longan snob.

However, I am not alone with regard to this opinion. U of F reports as follows:

Varieties
There are numerous cultivars of longan; however, world-wide only 30 to 40 are grown commercially. Reliable bearing is the major production problem for longan throughout the world. In Florida, 99% of the acreage is planted with 'Kohala'. Other cultivars have been introduced, some for a long time and others recently (Table 1). A number of new and re-introductions including 'Edau' ('Daw'), 'Chompoo', 'Haew', and 'Biew Kiew' are under evaluation by several institutions and producers. However, nothing superior to 'Kohala' has been identified.

One of the recently introduced cultivars is named 'Diamond River'. This cultivar is from Thailand and is reported to fruit every year, be precocious, produce off-season, and produce a sizeable late season crop. However, fruit quality is only fair and the tree is very susceptible to limb breakage.

See: http://edis.ifas.ufl.edu/mg049
Harry
Fort Lauderdale, FL 
USA

Triloba Tracker

• Psalms 104:14
    • USA, Middle Tennessee, Zone 7a
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: September 05, 2013, 04:14:18 PM »
I'm late to the party, but to me the mysterious longan flavor is "savory."  I would liken it to canteloupe as Oscar mentioned.  "Musky" I could agree with too, but "spicy," either meaning tingly/hot or "like a seasoning" doesn't register with me.

I would never buy longans just to eat them.  They're a novelty.  Lychees and Rambutans I would buy for their flavor.

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
« Reply #21 on: September 05, 2013, 07:02:09 PM »
As with all fruits, the taste is going to depend a lot on soils and climate. That being said i did taste Diamond River in S. Florida that were pretty good tasting, at least to my palate. It's true that Diamond River gets lower flavor ratings even in Thailand. So my recommendation would be for people in sub tropical areas to go mostly with other varieties. But in the tropics it's certainly a winner. It may be possible though to produce great tasting Diamond River even in Florida and California if proper fertilizers are applied. And DR may be a more consistent bearer even in sub tropics and temperate areas. So it's worth experimenting even there with DR.
Oscar

Central Floridave

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: September 05, 2013, 08:01:55 PM »
Thanks for the info on the diamond river.  I'm at East Central Florida on Merritt Island.  The main reason you want to grow different variety is too increase the chances of getting more fruit.  So, even if the DR has lower taste qualities (in my opinion it doesn't) I'm currently eating DR while my other variety have zero fruit on it.   

I never water mine and rarely fertilize.   The tree is only about ten feet high and has a lot of small fruit on it now. I've eaten the first batch the past week.  So, in about a month I'll still be eating diamond river fruit while you guys are debating this topic.   LOL.  Just kidding.  I realize you guys are pro growers.  Just rocking the boat a little bit.  Thank for all you do.

South Florida and Central Florida have different climates.   I rarely get rain, you guys get a lot.  I suffer a freeze every other year, you guys don't.   You have alkaline soil, I have acidic.  Just because the fruit isn't good in your area doesn't mean its not in another.  By making blanket statements that diamond river doesn't produce quality fruit in Florida is wrong.   That is how rumors and biased opinions get formed. 

Another point is that taste are very subjective.  One person who is very vocal keeps tooting the horn that a variety tastes bad.  Guess what...people are influenced on what others say. 

So, no one is going to buy a diamond river longan because they hear it doesn't produce quality fruit in Florida.

Well... I'm glad  I didn't hear that bad advice ten years ago when I planted the tree! 

Concerning taste, there is nothing wrong with Diamond River.  It taste exactly like a longan should taste.   Granted the Kohala is better and meatier.  If you were to grow just one I would recommend the kohala.  For some reason my kohalas didn't produce this year.  Typically they are prolific.   Maybe this year there was a climate change (late season cold in March) that helped the Diamond River produce and the others not.  ???

plantlover13

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: September 05, 2013, 08:46:15 PM »
Well, that was fast. I put the seed in a plastic bag with a moist paper towel YESTERDAY, and there are small sprouts coming out today. Less than 24 hours, actually.

I'm gonna try lychees again...

HMHausman

• Mod Emeritus
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: September 05, 2013, 08:50:20 PM »
So, in about a month I'll still be eating diamond river fruit while you guys are debating this topic.     

Your best point.  You win the argument.  I can provide no retort to overcome you eating while we are debating. :)

Let me rephrase my original comment. Diamond River does produce quality fruit in Florida......"fair quality fruit"........so say the experts at IFAS.  But if you like it and it produces for you consistently, then who am I to cast comments deemed disparaging.  I try to alert people about issues they may not have considered or personally experienced.  I admit to being finicky with many fruits.  I've been called "difficult." I certainly don't have all the answers and am wrong more times than I care to admit. So to anyone listening/reading.......try Diamond River for yourself.  Maybe you'll find them good for your purposes. 
Harry
Fort Lauderdale, FL 
USA