Author Topic: trees bought today in my street  (Read 3980 times)

Mike T

• Zone 12a
  • Cairns,Nth Qld, Australia
    • Zone 12a
    • View Profile
trees bought today in my street
« on: May 12, 2012, 08:51:09 PM »
For mothers day there was a bit of a plant show at the end of my street so I went looking for 'white whales'.I bought four plants including one good one.In the picture a seedling marang and pot with ackees muscled in when they saw the camera,but what are the other 4? It might be a tough one for even the hardened campaigner.

Mike T

Mike T

• Zone 12a
    • Zone 12a
    • View Profile
Re: trees bought today in my street
« Reply #1 on: May 12, 2012, 09:57:28 PM »
There were dozens of species there with many rare asians and it surprised me for a hokey plant sale.Goijis and cherimoyas were very cheap but breadfruit  trees were $40 for seedless breadnut ones and more for x A.marianus types.Remembering US and Aust dollars have the same value, the small pictured pitomba was $8,the araca was $12, the garcinia forbesii aka cherry mangosteen was $25 and the vanilla was maybe $10.

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • USA, Big Island, East Hawaii, Zone 13a
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
« Reply #2 on: May 12, 2012, 10:04:35 PM »
There were dozens of species there with many rare asians and it surprised me for a hokey plant sale.Goijis and cherimoyas were very cheap but breadfruit  trees were $40 for seedless breadnut ones and more for x A.marianus types.Remembering US and Aust dollars have the same value, the small pictured pitomba was $8,the araca was $12, the garcinia forbesii aka cherry mangosteen was $25 and the vanilla was maybe $10.

very cheap,except for the vanilla cutting, unpotted, $10? Mangosteens here you can get 3-4 footers for $25. I wish i could get A. altilis x marianus. Never seen it here. G. forbesii also not available here. I guess by cherry mangosteen you mean Garcinia intermedia?
Oscar

Mike T

• Zone 12a
    • Zone 12a
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 12, 2012, 10:15:24 PM »
Forbesii is the cherry mangosteen that was $25 and common mangosteen were about $12 -$15 at the 2 foot size.As you know breadfruit is not a species but a stage of development which was reached slection of the NG breadnut of by crossing it with its congenor in micronesia.

Mike T

• Zone 12a
    • Zone 12a
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 12, 2012, 10:19:01 PM »
I turned the place upside down and when I asked if they had any illama it was just laughter and high 5's amongst vendors.When I said how about mammeas they thought I was a stand up commedian and I bet they are still laughing about it.

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • USA, Big Island, East Hawaii, Zone 13a
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
« Reply #5 on: May 12, 2012, 10:25:07 PM »
I turned the place upside down and when I asked if they had any illama it was just laughter and high 5's amongst vendors.When I said how about mammeas they thought I was a stand up commedian and I bet they are still laughing about it.

When i first arrived here and asked the nurseries for ilama they all said the same thing: "oh, you must mean ilima?" Ilima is a type of flowering bush. None of them even knew what an ilama was! Ilama is still super rare here.
Oscar

Tomas

• USA, Virginia - 7a
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 14, 2012, 10:37:44 AM »
Hi Mike,

How do you like G. forbessi? From pictures I have seen it looks really tasty. In your opinion, is this Garcinia worth growing? Large or small tree?

Tomas

Jackfruitwhisperer69

• Zone 11b
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 14, 2012, 11:12:50 AM »
Hi Mike,

The seedlings look great...Good luck with them!!! Hope they start to produce early for you. :)
Time is like a river.
You cannot touch the same water twice, because the flow that has passed will never pass again.
Enjoy every moment of your life!

Tropicalgrower89

• Zone 11a, Florida
    • Pembroke Pines, FL, 33024, 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 14, 2012, 03:27:15 PM »
Nice specimens you purchased there Mike.  :)  How's soil over there? Is it old volcanic soil?
Alexi

Mike T

• Zone 12a
    • Zone 12a
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 14, 2012, 03:51:16 PM »
Alexi my soil is a weathered colluvial metamorphic  that is red and quite infertile.It has a high clay and rock content but in spite of this people plants grow well.
I bought the tree because I don't know it I've only heard it has good fruit.I think there are only a few trees around here.Someone told me it is the next best in the genus after the common mangosteen but maybe 'mexico' and some south americans are of equal or better edible quality.It will be on a rapid development track.   

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk