Author Topic: How many grow flushes a mango gets in a year?  (Read 4070 times)

samuelforest

• Montreal (5b) COLD!
  • Mangoes!
    • View Profile
How many grow flushes a mango gets in a year?
« on: May 18, 2012, 05:29:47 PM »
Hi guys! I'm just wondering how much a mango (Carrie) can grow in a year, so I can predict its size and how much should I prune it.

Central Floridave

• View Profile
Re: How many grow flushes a mango gets in a year?
« Reply #1 on: May 18, 2012, 09:40:10 PM »
It varies. Some trees grow quicker than others. Especially Valencia Pride which seems to be the quickest growing mango of all times. 

The 'dwarf' variety grow slower but eventually can grow huge if you let them.   

Mango flush out 3 or 4 times of year depending on the weather.   Typically once a mango is large enough to produce you don't want them to grow.

if you live in an area that gets regular rainfall, never water them.  Fertilize after fruit drop which is usually late summer.   Let go dormant in late fall and into winter.

Never water or fertilize a mango in the winter. They fruit better with neglect.  If they get water and nutrients they can skip a flowering season.

My oldest tree is around 15 years old and it is around 20 feet tall. I'm getting ready to hack it back down to ten feet. Its best to trim out the center growing limb and not let it get too tall.

Squam256

• Mangos, trees and budwood for sale
    • USA, West Palm Beach, FL, 33405, Zone 10b
    • View Profile
    • https://www.facebook.com/TropicalAcresFarms
« Reply #2 on: May 18, 2012, 09:59:33 PM »
Hi guys! I'm just wondering how much a mango (Carrie) can grow in a year, so I can predict its size and how much should I prune it.

The more you prune them the more they are likely going to flush in response, at least during warm weather. However, when you prune you can control the growth habit .

A tree left to its own devices may only flush 3-4 times a year, but its growth is going to probably be more vertical/upward.

If you practice 'tipping', the tree may flush 5 or 6 times in a year but the growth is more controlled and you form a more compact, dense and complex canopy, which theoretically should lead to more fruit production and typically does.

Generally with young trees I stop pruning after September and begin pruning again around March or April as the night-time temps begin to warm up.
« Last Edit: May 18, 2012, 10:01:14 PM by Squam256 »

mangomandan

• When a man is tired of mangos, he is tired of life
    • USA, Lake Worth, Florida, 33461, 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 18, 2012, 10:15:55 PM »
My Maha Cha-whatever is my only new tree that hasn't flushed since I planted it last August.  Actually, it looks identical to then. The leaves are still healthy and green and even undamaged by weevils, but absolutely no flushes.

I've tried to encourage it with fertilizer, sprays, micorh... but no luck.

After listening to Chris Rollins at a recent meeting, I'm wondering if I accidentally left it in its pot when I planted it.    Might be time to investigate.

JF

• North OC California Zone 10B/America Tropical 13A
    • 90631/97000
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 19, 2012, 01:06:14 AM »
3 or 4 times in Socal. Seedlings repeatedly flush during the growing from March to Oct. and sporadically in winter.

samuelforest

• Montreal (5b) COLD!
  • Mangoes!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 19, 2012, 08:31:32 AM »
Thank you guys! I'll juust tip it when the growth will harden.

puglvr1

• USA, Central, FL xxxxx, Zone 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 19, 2012, 09:43:55 AM »
Mangomandan...that's too funny! Please let us know "if" you did accidentally leave it in the pot, but my guess is you did NOT. It definitely should have flushed at least once by now...strange, maybe its concentrating on root growth? I think it might be time to do some investigating for sure...

I do agree that weather and the variety of mango has a lot to do with how many times they flush in a year..My Keitt only has a couple usually but my Glenn and Cogshall usually has 3 a year.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk