Author Topic: Seeking info on M-4 mango  (Read 47929 times)

8keep

• Brevard county
    • View Profile
Re: Seeking info on M-4 mango
« Reply #25 on: April 20, 2017, 08:53:09 AM »
Where can I buy one? Or a cutting so I can graft myself

mangomandan

• When a man is tired of mangos, he is tired of life
    • USA, Lake Worth, Florida, 33461, 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: April 20, 2017, 09:14:26 AM »
Thank you guys for the info and the background info. I think we are all obligated to plant one and report our findings up the chain of command in a show of appreciation to all of those who worked hard to create these new and delicious additions that brighten our lives.

I'm going to plant one, strictly for the sake of science.
Since it is a relatively non-colorful fruit I may be safe planting it near the road.

bsbullie

• USA, Boynton Beach, FL 33472, Zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: April 20, 2017, 09:50:12 AM »

PM sent
- Rob

CA Hockey

• Orange, CA 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: April 22, 2017, 03:51:04 PM »

I'm in the same boat. I just recently expanded my Mango collection and came across the m-4 on the internet, but I can't  find a source for trees or budwood. If anyone had any leads I would greatly appreciate it.

-K

Orkine

• Jupiter, FL, USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: April 23, 2017, 02:13:31 PM »
Sorry, I am exposing my lack of "currentness" here.
This is the first I am hearing of the M4 mango.  I thought it was a joke, M is for Mango, like A is for Apple but after reading all your posts I am curious and interested enough to want to try this.  Are these available in any South FL nursery yet?

johnb51

• USA Deerfield Beach, FL Zone 11a
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: April 23, 2017, 02:54:08 PM »
Sorry, I am exposing my lack of "currentness" here.
This is the first I am hearing of the M4 mango.  I thought it was a joke, M is for Mango, like A is for Apple but after reading all your posts I am curious and interested enough to want to try this.  Are these available in any South FL nursery yet?
THIS IS NO JOKE.  M-4, the latest flavor bomb from Zill!
John

Orkine

• Jupiter, FL, USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: April 23, 2017, 10:20:48 PM »
The question now is how do I get one?

murahilin

• Administrator
    • USA Greenacres, Florida Zone 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: April 23, 2017, 11:46:12 PM »

Excalibur may have them. You can call and check.

In about a month I will have a 3 gallon M-4 for sale. I am using the 3G right now as a source of budwood for top-working and once the grafts take for sure, I will sell the 3G.

starch

• My brain is like oatmeal
    • Chandler, AZ. zone 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: April 24, 2017, 10:04:24 AM »

In about a month I will have a 3 gallon M-4 for sale. I am using the 3G right now as a source of budwood for top-working and once the grafts take for sure, I will sell the 3G.

Sheehan,

would you be willing to sell budwood off that tree first before you sell the tree? I would love to buy some M-4 budwood if it were available!
- Mark

johnb51

• View Profile
« Reply #34 on: April 27, 2017, 12:00:16 AM »
So should we consider M-4 right up there with the best of the new Zill mangos: Sweet Tart, Lemon Zest, Cotton Candy, Phoenix, and Juicy Peach?
John

bsbullie

• View Profile
« Reply #35 on: April 27, 2017, 12:09:37 AM »
So should we consider M-4 right up there with the best of the new Zill mangos: Sweet Tart, Lemon Zest, Cotton Candy, Phoenix, and Juicy Peach?

Yessiree John
- Rob

mangomandan

• View Profile
« Reply #36 on: April 27, 2017, 08:13:09 AM »
  This insistence was because of supreme deliciousness, to pretty much everyone who tried them, and clean appearance, though not at all colorful.

You know the way to a guy's heart.  ;D

mangomongo

• MERRITT ISLAND
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: May 06, 2017, 08:57:17 AM »
« Last Edit: June 02, 2017, 07:05:30 AM by mangomongo »

TREESNMORE

• USA Palm City FL Zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: May 06, 2017, 04:06:21 PM »
I have one at Trees N More for sell.
Mike

johnb51

• View Profile
« Reply #39 on: May 07, 2017, 12:03:58 AM »
Ok so after going directly to ZHPP and asking about the M-4 at time of purchase I was told that it is a keitt seedling which we had already been informed on and that it could in fact alternate years if the crop was heavy the previous year, and that the flavor was not reminiscent of coconut but more of it's parent however not a clone of a Kiett, long season and very tasty.
We started this thread with the information that it was "coconutty" and far superior to Coconut Cream.  Now we're being told it isn't reminiscent of coconut.  So which is it?
John

bsbullie

• View Profile
« Reply #40 on: May 07, 2017, 01:18:24 AM »
Ok so after going directly to ZHPP and asking about the M-4 at time of purchase I was told that it is a keitt seedling which we had already been informed on and that it could in fact alternate years if the crop was heavy the previous year, and that the flavor was not reminiscent of coconut but more of it's parent however not a clone of a Kiett, long season and very tasty.
We started this thread with the information that it was "coconutty" and far superior to Coconut Cream.  Now we're being told it isn't reminiscent of coconut.  So which is it?

No offense but I dont care what he asked someone there what it tastes like.  Its questions like that why they hate the thought of retail sales.  You would have to know them or have dealt with them over the years to understand.

I have had a number of them in multiple years snd they have always had a coconut component. 

To say it is like a Keitt is a joke.  Think about this...if this were the case. Why would anyone rave about it and why would they release it due to popular demand.

And to ask them if they thought it was a replacement for the Coconut Cream...if they were to say yes, they might as well stop propagating the CC.  They are a commercial wholesale nursery that sell the majority of their trees in large quantities to other nurseries.  They eould not say something that would prevent their sales.
- Rob

Orkine

• Jupiter, FL, USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: May 14, 2017, 03:22:10 PM »
Thank you guys for the info and the background info. I think we are all obligated to plant one and report our findings up the chain of command in a show of appreciation to all of those who worked hard to create these new and delicious additions that brighten our lives.

Agree, just got mine (Thanks to bsbullie), now I plant, wait and occasionally report in. This will be M-4-West-Jupiter   :)

Curious to hear how yours does so please post update if you have one.

mangomongo

• MERRITT ISLAND
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: May 15, 2017, 12:09:04 AM »
I will plant it and post on it.  The general consensus is that it is a top tier mango and just to make it even more confusing it is listed on the  ZHPP list as " coconut flavor".

bsbullie

• View Profile
« Reply #43 on: May 15, 2017, 12:24:37 AM »
I will plant it and post on it.  The general consensus is that it is a top tier mango and just to make it even more confusing it is listed on the  ZHPP list as " coconut flavor".

Thats because it does.  Dont put too much crede ce in the descriltion that ig is from a Keitt and is Keitt-like.  I have tasted tbis in past years and I can attest ghat uts not "Keitt-like"
- Rob

mangomandan

• View Profile
« Reply #44 on: May 15, 2017, 08:39:49 AM »
I'm planting my M-4 today.  :)  It will compete for space with Spirit of 76----may the best mango win.

Recently planted Kathy, Cotton Candy, and Phoenix and hoping for the best. I'm a great fan of their parentage.

mike rule

• karrabin qld australia
    • View Profile
« Reply #45 on: May 15, 2017, 06:51:02 PM »
Dan.... What a top notch field of Mango's....All are said to be Ist class...... Well done....Mike

palmcity

• Martin County, Fl zone10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: May 15, 2017, 07:36:45 PM »

With a 3 gallon being a fairly small tree usually, what procedure are you using to get the maximum amount of scion chances from the available limbs?

My guess would be from the apical dominant middle shoot removing leaves initially and trying to get the hopefully other available small shoots off it to start growing more. I would also guess upon new buds forming on the apical dominant shoot you would cut off this main shoot and try to make as many scions as possible from it instead of using it all for only one graft attempt; or do you use it all without trying to cut off smaller buds from this main branch.
I guess in a month the smaller limbs would started growing enough to sell.

Of course if you had a apical dominant with say 3 other less dominant limbs coming from the main limb you could just use one of the less dominant limbs removing leaves and waiting on new tip growth.

Which way do you prefer and how small a scion do you use like 4 inch or just multiple smaller sections of buds cut off and inserted as bud grafts into the larger tree as you did mention you were using it "as a source of budwood" was it actually just the buds and a small amount of cambium insert into the new tree to be grafted or larger pieces of budwood as the term does not set a length. Budwood. A portion of a stem or branch with a vegetative bud(s) used in propagation for budding or grafting.

Any thread links would be appreciated if your view is already discussed...

bsbullie

• View Profile
« Reply #47 on: May 15, 2017, 09:31:42 PM »

With a 3 gallon being a fairly small tree usually, what procedure are you using to get the maximum amount of scion chances from the available limbs?

My guess would be from the apical dominant middle shoot removing leaves initially and trying to get the hopefully other available small shoots off it to start growing more. I would also guess upon new buds forming on the apical dominant shoot you would cut off this main shoot and try to make as many scions as possible from it instead of using it all for only one graft attempt; or do you use it all without trying to cut off smaller buds from this main branch.

Of course if you had a apical dominant with say 3 other less dominant limbs coming from the main limb you could just use one of the less dominant limbs removing leaves and waiting on new tip growth.

Which way do you prefer and how small a scion do you use like 4 inch or just multiple smaller sections of buds cut off and inserted as bud grafts into the larger tree as you did mention you were using it "as a source of budwood" was it actually just the buds and a small amount of cambium insert into the new tree to be grafted or larger pieces of budwood as the term does not set a length. Budwood. A portion of a stem or branch with a vegetative bud(s) used in propagation for budding or grafting.

If you bud them, you can get the potential for a lot of trees from 1 3 gal.
- Rob

murahilin

• Administrator
    • USA Greenacres, Florida Zone 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: May 15, 2017, 11:58:00 PM »

I selected a three gallon with about 4 branches at the top, and then I just used one branch to do a cleft onto my main tree. If that one doesn't take, then I will graft again. I don't want to do multiple grafts and then they all take and I am now stuck with multiple branches of the same variety on my tree. That happened with my Venus grafts and now I have two Venus branches. I have 12 or so varieties on myt tree right now and I am trying to limit to one variety per branch.

I'll try to take some pics in a few days or so. I noticed the M-4 was pushing today, but that doesn't mean anything. Sometimes they push right before they die. Also on a multi-grafted tree, I've had some grafts that take and then push once or twice and then stop and sit there for a year and then die. Those branches just weren't in optimal places on the tree for growth, I guess.

gozp

• West Hills, CA
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: May 29, 2017, 01:42:55 PM »
What is the growth habit of m4?