Author Topic: Rest well Gene Lester  (Read 1087 times)

Bush2Beach

• Santa Cruz, California Sunset Zone 17
    • View Profile
Rest well Gene Lester
« on: December 28, 2020, 01:56:06 PM »
I wanted to share the news that Citrus super collector and legend Gene Lester passed away this Fall.
I know some friends on the forum I have lost contact with over the years and I wonder how they are doing or if they are still around. So I thought folks should know.
I know some of you knew or traded with him over the years and would perhaps like the chance to light a candle or share a story or however you personally like to memorilize and give thanks for someone’s presence and contribution on earth.
So rest well Gene and thank you for your passion’s and energy.

Bush2Beach

• View Profile
Re: Rest well Gene Lester
« Reply #1 on: December 28, 2020, 02:05:18 PM »
For me, I met Gene briefly a few times at the annual citrus tasting and tour he would so graciously host at his property. The last year he took a few of us in his huge barn to see one of his other passions of 1934-36 Ford’s.
Every year someone in the group was bound to ask: “Gene, whats your favorite citrus?”
I think he hated that question or thought it was stupid. He would kind of hem and haw and say “ whichever one I am eating at the moment” , though he would reveal some of his favorite’s .
Some of the amazing standouts from his collection for me was the poormans orange, Black Twig or Winged Lime and the Ginger lime.
Gene told me Limes are true to type from seed and so I started alot of Black Twig and Ginger Limes.
Thanks for the good memories and inspiration. Thanks for opening my eyes to all the possibilities and flavors of Citrus. Much admiration and respect.

Millet

• Colorado
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 28, 2020, 03:20:56 PM »
I have two black twig lime trees that I got from Gene through Joe Real.  Gene had one of the largest citrus private collections in the USA. 

Laaz

• Charleston, SC 9a
    • View Profile
    • Citrusgrowers forum
« Reply #3 on: December 28, 2020, 04:13:00 PM »
Gene sent me many budsticks over the years. I talked to him on the phone numerous times. A really generous & knowledgeable guy. RIP. We actually got news of this a couple months ago.

Bush2Beach

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 28, 2020, 04:31:15 PM »
I Wasn't for sure as I did a forum search and scanned the board back to September when he passed and did not see anything. I happened to be in the neighborhood yesterday and saw the grove from afar so I was thinking about him.

SoCal2warm

• zone 10 and zone 8a
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 28, 2020, 09:14:33 PM »
I was very interested in his 'Liudmila' variety that is growing in his citrus collection, and wanted to see if it might display any cold hardiness for growing in colder climate. We weren't sure if it was an Ichang papeda x Satsuma cross, or just a citron x Satsuma cross.

Further discussion about that here:
ichangensis x Satsuma ?
http://tropicalfruitforum.com/index.php?topic=31947.msg351168

SoCal2warm

• zone 10 and zone 8a
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 28, 2020, 09:29:23 PM »
A look at some of the citrus varieties that were growing in his collection:
http://www.cookingissues.com/index.html%3Fp=3965.html

druss

• australia
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 29, 2020, 06:15:47 AM »
Bush2beach, did your ginger limes come true to type?

Bush2Beach

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 29, 2020, 10:08:05 PM »
Hi druss, they did! Gingery as can be:)

eyeckr

• Virginia Beach, VA
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 31, 2020, 12:35:32 AM »
Very well respected citrus collector. Really sorry to hear of his passing. I knew he was not doing so well this past year but missed the news. He was generous enough to share some of his collection with me and I am very thankful. Rest in peace.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk