Author Topic: Which cherimoya varieties do well inland in SoCal?  (Read 1275 times)

Ivy

• CA zone10a
    • View Profile
Which cherimoya varieties do well inland in SoCal?
« on: March 08, 2021, 04:14:24 AM »
Hello, I read that in California most varieties of cherimoya do well extending 3 to 15 miles inland from the ocean. Which varieties will do well further inland at the foothills about 40 miles from the ocean? Does anyone has a fruiting cherimoya  in those less favorable conditions?

Ivy

• CA zone10a
    • View Profile
Re: Which cherimoya varieties do well inland in SoCal?
« Reply #1 on: March 09, 2021, 03:05:49 AM »
Anyone? Any information would be appreciated

arc310

• arcadia/glendora, ca 10A
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 09, 2021, 03:27:21 AM »
have a neglected el bumpo in a 5 gallon that produced a few fruits in the SGV.

i'll be planting it in ground in the next week or so.

i was surprise at the unique taste of it so now it's going in ground. :)

spaugh

• San Diego County California
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 09, 2021, 01:46:08 PM »
i live in a hot area, it not as far inland as you but I dont see any difference in cold/heat tokerance among different trees.  i doubt it matter what variety you choose, they will either grow ok or not.
Brad Spaugh

palingkecil

• Los Angeles
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 09, 2021, 03:13:30 PM »
Hello, I read that in California most varieties of cherimoya do well extending 3 to 15 miles inland from the ocean. Which varieties will do well further inland at the foothills about 40 miles from the ocean? Does anyone has a fruiting cherimoya  in those less favorable conditions?
I am about 35 miles inland surrounded by hills.
Atemoya (geffner) seems to do a little better than my cherimoyas. Honey heart is more productive than my Orton or Pierce. But all my trees are young and only been in ground about 1.5 years.
Mulch the soil generously to retain moisture to keep the trees happy.

Jack, Nipomo

• San Luis Obispo County, CA zone 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 09, 2021, 04:55:18 PM »
Took several well producing cherimoyas from our home on Central Coast to home in Todos Santos, Baja Sur, Mexico south of the Tropic of Cancer.  Even though they grew well, flowered, they never set fruit.  Guanabanas and other annonas  fruited there.  Hand pollination didn't help.  Variety of cherimoyas continue to do well here in Nipomo.  Factors other than heat is present there, but surmised it was the heat.

K-Rimes

• Santa Barbara
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 09, 2021, 05:01:21 PM »
Took several well producing cherimoyas from our home on Central Coast to home in Todos Santos, Baja Sur, Mexico south of the Tropic of Cancer.  Even though they grew well, flowered, they never set fruit.  Guanabanas and other annonas  fruited there.  Hand pollination didn't help.  Variety of cherimoyas continue to do well here in Nipomo.  Factors other than heat is present there, but surmised it was the heat.

I hear the same of cherimoya in really hot parts of Florida, not much success. I hear cherimoya need some chill hours to set fruit.

Ivy

• CA zone10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 10, 2021, 03:00:53 AM »
My cherimoya has flowers even now in March and it is a healthy 5 year old tree but it set just 1  small fruit ( squirrel got it). I've hand pollinated it for the last 2 years with no success. When I collect pollen all I see is anthers.  I am not sure if the tree is not producing pollen and fruit because it is grown from seed or because summers are  too hot and too dry  here.    I found information  that for example Chaffey is for coastal areas and Bays is best in Carpenteria area. I couldn't find any information about inland varieties.  I am planning to graft my tree hoping that would help. I appreciate your input.

Jack, Nipomo

• San Luis Obispo County, CA zone 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 10, 2021, 12:13:59 PM »
I collect anthers for pollination as they contain the pollen.  The pollen is visible in a film type container scattered on the sides.  I just use the anthers on the end of a brush for pollination.  Here in Nipomo, I can collect pollen in the morning and use it in the afternoon, sometimes having the male stage and female stage of the flowers open I just move from male to female flower.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk